Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2003, 09:16 PM
dwayne

Default Coffee

I've heard cruise coffee is sometimes less than perfect. How does Princess rate? Do they have pay per cup venue like a Starbucks. Does anyone take there own? I do have a french press that I could pack .

Your Views...

Thanks,

Dwayne
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Tom321

Default Re: Coffee

I am pretty picky about my coffee and can tell you the coffee is not that great on the ship. The coffee in the buffet is downright terrible. They use a continuous coffee brewing system which produces weak tasteless coffee.

The best coffee I found on the Grand last week was in the lobby bar but it is a pay service. They make a pretty good expresso and capachino and the coffee is a little better just because it is made in a pot.

If you have a french press and love coffee then I say bring it. Hot water is available in the buffet area and through room service on the grand class ships.
Old April 8th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Laura J.

The coffee was really bad last time I was on The Grand (and most other ships for that matter!) With as much bad PR that the cruiselines get over this matter, you'd think they'd hire Starbucks or some company experienced with coffee, to be consultants and resolve this matter! (Don't know which is the bigger "issue"....coffee or ice cream!!!)

I have read from others recently that you can order pretty good expresso/cappachino in the dining rooms for no extra charge. (And yes, the java in the lobby coffee bar is good, but you have to pay.) I haven't resorted to bringing my own coffee maker like some (already pack too much!), but I certainly have considered it!
Old April 8th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Kathy Vetter

Funny you should mention this. Got off the Golden 4/5. We all commented that the coffee was GREAT! However, our English table mates that are used to very strong coffee thought it was tastless. Our waiter acknowledged that most Brits dis like it and made them a special blend. What great service.
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:53 AM
sascol

Coffee is always a hot topic here (no pun intended)! My wife and I enjoy a good cup of coffee and we drink coffee regularly. We've never had any issues with the coffee on any Princess ship.
Old April 9th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Frank

I've been on many Princess cruises and the coffee is not their forte. They use a canned concentrate that they mix with hot water in those urns - it isn't freshly brewed. Basically, its a glorified instant coffee. I don't know why they don't spend a few dollars and brew it fresh. They'd rather nickel/dime you to pay extra in one of their cafes I guess.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 15th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Just got off the Coral ... coffee in the Horizon stinks. You can go to the specialty coffee bar and order the regular coffee without paying for it and it's much better ... they charge for specialty coffees but not at dinner - had capacchino every night and it was delicious. You can also get coffee at Crooners for no charge but I don't know the quality.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old April 16th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Coffee

>You can go to the specialty coffee bar and order the regular coffee without paying for it and it's much better <

That's another item I did not know about. I thought all the coffee at the specialty bar was at an extra cost but it sounds like only anything other than the regular stuff. Too bad they can't make that in the dining room too.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Bluetahoe

We just got off the Star Princess(April 5-12-03). We thought the coffee was great. We even had an expert coffee drinker at our table, a cop. We did only have coffee in the Amalfi room, so it may depend on were it is made.
Old April 17th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Coffee

Where is the Amalfi room on the Coral. I couldn't find it at the web site. I see the Bordeaux and Provincale Dining rooms but not that one.
Frank-in-CA