Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Beginner

Default Princess - Anti War Show! Read This

I just got off of the ship that sailed 03/30. I had trouble going on vacation while we were at war but was assured by many of my military friends and family that the reason they were out there was so we could have such luxeries. While on the ship we went to a show "Shake Rattle and Roll, this showcased several different artists. Each artist had a still shot on a tv screen while the singers sang the song and danced. After showcasing the Beatles they decided to do the John Lennon song "Imagine" while they showed clips of bombs going off, people kicking army tanks, sick children and anti-war protestors. I immediately walked out after that show. Since I live in Washington D.C. I see all of the anti-war demonstrations on a daily basis and was offended that Princess would be biased and actually show that to all of their passengers. I went to the pursers desk and filed a complaint saying that I felt the video clips were unappropriate. You should have seen the response I received it was unreal!!! Several different staff responded with "Its just a show, no big deal", "Well we only went to war what a week ago", there were several others but my favorite was the comment from the RELATIONS MANAGER "Well you should know since you live in D.C. that we have our right to our own freedom of speech". I felt like I was under attack for filing a complaint when all I was asking for was for them to look into my complaint. I never once had any ridiculous requests such as don't do the show etc. After that I returned everything I purchased on the boat including 4 paintings and did not spend another dime on the boat. Suffice it to say I will never sail with Princess again! I felt it was disgusting for them to dance around in an anti-war demonstration on a little stage while our American and British friends and family our out their sacrificing their precious time with their families so we can vacation on a boat to the Carribean. My vacation was ruined along with that of my friends and a couple of others on the boat who felt the same way. One poor lady had a son on the front line! Princess just lost a loyal customer for they were the only cruise ship we would sailed on.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Princess - Anti War Show! Read This

Does this mean we won't be seeing you at a Princess Passengers For Peace rally any time soon?

You let one number ruin your entire vacation?! Wow! Not that you asked, but I suggest you lock yourself in your home and tune the TV to FOX News. I promise you won't see or hear anything on there that will upset your sensibilities.

Post Edited (04-08-03 11:30)
Old April 8th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Kathy Vetter

Sounds more like you attacked them, and they defended themselves. I can't tell where you stand. Are you saying you didn't want to be reminded of the war while you were on board? You sound very passionate about you're feelings. How about the televisions in the airport showing the war. Did you return your airline tickets? The war is being reported everywhere 24/7. If you don't like it, stay home, shut off you're tv, radio, telephone, cancel the newspapers, stay off the internet and don't talk to anyone. Perhaps that will make you safe and secure.

I don't think you showed Princess anything. Perhaps you weren't ready to cruise. You ruined it for yourself. John Lennon's song is a message of peace. I find it shocking that it made you so hostile.
Old April 8th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Peabodynvl

I believe that is the whole point of the song "Imagine". Probably, they had those images prior to the start of the war, and I don't think the war should make it any different. "Imagine" is a song of peace. But just because someone wishes for peace does not mean they do not support their country and the armed services in time of war. Apparently, there were no deroggatory remarks concerning our president, the troops or the British Prime Minister. Is there anything wrong with imagining and wishing for a world without war?

Pea
Old April 8th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Beginner

Actually the show didn't ruin my vacation it was the staffs attitudes that did. I had no problem with the song it was the video clips that I felt were not appropriate at a sensitive time as this. All I wanted was for them to look into the situation and it was the poor resolution of the complaint where everything went wrong. I still do not feel that a cruise ship is where you should voice your political opinion I have the option to turn my tv on or off but I do not have a choice to leave a cruise ship once on board.
Old April 8th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Mike & Charlotte

Default Re: Re: Princess - Anti War Show! Read This

If I were you, I'd write a letter to the head of customer relations, with a copy to the head of past passenger programs, and another copy to the Entertainment Director at Princess. Tell them how you feel. I'm sure there are lots of others who felt the same way, but didn't say anything. And send duplicates to the head of customer relations and past passenger programs at Carnival; Carnival will complete its purchase of Princess this week.

Let the top guns at Princess mull it over for a while, and let Carnival know where you stand. They are in such dire need of passengers that they don't want to do anything that keeps people from taking another cruise. They're walking on thin ice these days and want tons more happy passengers, not ones who look for resorts for future vacations.

For a much wider audience for your complaint, post it on www.cruisecritic
Old April 8th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Kitana, sure you do. You can choose to get off at the next port of call. Sure, it'll be an inconvenience for you and your party to get home, but that's a small price to pay for sticking to your principles and showing Princess you mean business. I'm curious why you didn't do that. You were upset, but not THAT upset?

By the way, what could they have done to please you? You claim you were only asking them to look into the situation. I'm not clear what you mean by that. Did you want them to stop the tribute to John Lennon and Imagine? Did you want them to stop showing the images, but continue playing the song? What were you looking for?

Post Edited (04-08-03 15:51)
Old April 8th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Beginner

The response I was looking for but did not receive was that they were aware of my complaint and would look into the matter. I did not receive any form of this type of response from anyone on the boat. It was when they spoke to me and dealt with me in the manner they did that was the most upsetting and made several of us not want to return to Princess.
Old April 8th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Passenger

"It was when they spoke to me and dealt with me in the manner they did that was the most upsetting and made several of us not want to return to Princess."

If that is what truly upset you, why did you give this thread the inflammatory label "Princess - Anti War Show!"? You claim your beef is with their response to your complaint, and not so much with the show. Then why not label the thread something like "Princess's lack of response to my complaint?" I think you just want to vent, and this forum is a great place for that. I truly hope you get the results you are looking for, and enjoy your future cruises on Carnival, HAL, Celebrity or whatever other line ends up getting the pleasure of your business.

You never responded to why you and your party didn't disembark the ship (it's a ship, not a boat) at the next Port of Call if you were so vehemently upset with Princess. Could it be because it would have been too expensive and too inconvenient to do so, and making a stand wasn't quite worth that level of expense and inconvenience?

Personally, I'll continue to sail with Princess as often as I can, while hoping that the reign of terror in Iraq ends soon and that John Lennon's dream of us all living in peace somehow comes true.

Frugalist
Against the Reign of Terror in Iraq

Post Edited (04-08-03 17:23)
Old April 8th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to cherdorsey Send a message via MSN to cherdorsey

I understand the point you were trying to make Kitana.And i agree!War is not a good thing by no means.Im sure our fighting men & women agree. BUT lets support them!!!The first time i saw the anti-war protest it bought back memories of the 60s.That conflict was very hard on our troops.They were treated bad by thier own countrymen. I WILL spare you & not go into my experience but a wise person said to me."GOD FORGIVE THEM THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO". As for "free speech" did we not fight to get it? < cant wait to sail again >
Old April 8th, 2003, 07:20 PM
RareCruiser

My wife and I went on this same cruise and loved it. My last cruise was 20 years ago on my honeymoon! Neither that particular show nor that particular number ruined my cruise. Who doesn't want peace? No problem with that. Personally, I've always disliked the song, "Imagine". Because knowing what I know of John Lennon and his views on life in general, the song is basically Communist in nature. That's why I dislike it. I did feel that particular song was done in such a way as to make it stand out among the others. You'd have to be blind not to have noticed that. It was clearly making a political statement. However, I attribute that to the basic international flavor of the crew and probably most of the folks in charge of producing it. That's ok, I can accept that, because most of the rest of the world doesn't agree with this war, and entertainers tend to be more liberal in general anyway. The worst thing I did was to simply not applaud at the end of that song, but I applauded at the remaining songs. I just have a hard time acknowledging that song for what it is. Life's too short to let one thing like that ruin my hard earned vacation though!
RareCruiser
Old April 8th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Peabodynvl

I think the images that go along with the song "Imagine" are important. People have to see what war does, see what hunger does. Sometimes people have a tendency toward "out of sight, out of mind". Showing images of war does not detract from what our service people are doing, it gives us a better understanding and a desire to try and avoid such matters in the future, if possible. When it is impossible to avoid war, it is the very time we need to be reminded of the toll it takes and pray for it to end as soon as possible. I see worse scenes on my local news every night...TV stations vying for ratings. I find that much more disturbing.

Pea
Old April 8th, 2003, 11:31 PM
kubies

We are on the Coral repositioning cruise leaving Ft. Lauderdale on 4/23 and both have "issues" about this war. However we support and feel tremendous support for our young people serving in Iraq as well as the Iraqui people. The war is a real cloud hanging over our year-long anticiptaed Panama Canal cruise. Our feeling... get over it! How about making a donation to children who have lost a parent in the Military or to UNICEF designated for Iraqui children?
Old April 9th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Admiral

I'm not a proponent of war of any kind, and I live in the Washington, DC area also.

I have seen the show several times (21 Princess cruises to date) and it is trying to take us back to another time, the 60's period? I believe that the scenes are important to the point of the song. This is not a new show or part of the show by any means.

As for the response from Princess, just what did you think someone on board the ship was going to do? And the attitude at which it is presented is important too.

I would imagine that there are people on that cruise who saw nothing wrong with the pictures and that they felt they made the 'point'.

If you were offended by them, then you should have simply gotten up and left.
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Admiral

now that tempers have calmed down some it would be a good time to write a calm, articulate letter to Princess-passenger relations explain to them your feelings- again calmy, rationally this is how you get results. Unfortunatuly ranting and raving will only label you as hostile. You know that old southern saying about attracting more flies with honey than with vinegar.............
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:51 AM
sascol

Kitana....I'm not trying to be smart here by any means but I must ask what type of demeanor you first approached the Princess folks with? Was it with a calm demeanor or were you outraged (perhaps something in between)?

I think your complaint simply caught them off guard because your interpretation of the show was really not what the show was all about. I never would have made the connection between the current war and the John Lennon song/video.
Old April 9th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's a little some thing I thought I'd share even though it doesn't pertain to cruising:

"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the
press.
>
> - It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
>
> - It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to
demonstrate.
>
> - It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and
whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the
flag."
>
> (Authored by Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC

Kingwryn
(yes I'm in the military)
Old April 9th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess - Anti War Show! Read This

>We are on the Coral repositioning cruise leaving Ft. Lauderdale on 4/23 and both have "issues" about this war. However we support and feel tremendous support for our young people serving in Iraq as well as the Iraqui people. The war is a real cloud hanging over our year-long anticiptaed Panama Canal cruise.<

We will be on the same cruise and don't have any qualms because of the war. I not only support the troops but I also support our efforts to liberate the Iraqis from this despot who would gladly supply weapons of mass destruction to groups that hate the USA. I have been on other cruise ships that had production shows that were very patriotic, almost to the extent of being embarrassing. Not a show but the waiters on one cruise tried to be patriotic when they sang some patriotic songs but they just didn't sound right with their accents. (G)

If I feel the production number is offensive, I will also let the management know on board the ship, in my feedback and with a letter to management when I get back. I realize that each person sees things differently and it might not affect me as it did the author of this thread. Hopefully, by the time we travel, in two weeks, the war should basically be over and people will realize what actually has been done for the Iraqi people. Very few people want war - most desire peace but there are times when actions such as these have to be taken, as in WW II, to assure peace.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 13th, 2003, 11:40 AM
bella c

I applaud you for your courage. We are booked on Princess to Alaska. I feel that the person who suggested that you calmly write to Princess had the best idea. I will write them and if it is still playing I will complain. My family will be totally embarased but Who cares.
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Admiral

I cannot believe this post, war is ugly no matter where you stand politically. Imagine a world without war.... hmmmm! How is that unpatriotic? Art is supposed to make us think, not follow blindly. Perhaps that is just what this Princess show did. I hope so.
Old April 13th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

From what I understand the show is a review of rock and roll through the years. The pics that went along with Imagine were from the 1960's. It was meant to be taken in that context. It had NOTHING to do with what is going on today...that show has been in production for more than one year!

So, you objected to the song and the accompanying video......that is your right, but if you came across to the personnel on board ship as you do in your post, it is no wonder that they didn't respond the way YOU wanted them to; when someone tries to "terrorize" and "browbeat" me, I sure as heck don't respond the way they think I should! If it still upsets you at this late date, then write a CALM, well thought out letter to Princess Corporate......I will tell you if you write a letter with the attitude you wrote your post on this thread, the will NOT respond to you.

Post edited to add: I am completely in support of our President and our troops....100%. And I also desperately want peace in the world. There is a lot more out there that upsets me - this would not have upset me in the least...and yes, I have acquaintances and family members of friends and coworkers serving over in Iraq.

Post Edited (04-13-03 21:54)
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:35 PM
happy shelagh

I just got done reading all of these threads. Went back to the top ,and re-read it.I didn't think it was hostile...just an upset persons point of view....all the responses after have seem more hostile
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Peabodynvl

>After that I returned everything I purchased on the boat including 4 paintings and did
>not spend another dime on the boat. Suffice it to say I will never sail with Princess
>again! I felt it was disgusting for them to dance around in an anti-war
>demonstration on a little stage while our American and British friends and family our
>out their sacrificing their precious time with their families so we can vacation on a boat
>to the Carribean.

This I did find hostile. Calling a whole show "an anti-war demonstration", based on one song...and mind you taking the whole number out of context...and then returning whatever they bought and the ship. If she returned the things because of the way she was treated, that's understandable. But she keeps bringing up the "disgusting anti-war" stuff, so you are left with the impression that she is more bothered by the show, not her treatment. She even named her thread "Princess Anti-War Show". One number (again out of context) and the whole show is anti-war? Give me a break!

Pea
Old April 14th, 2003, 02:39 PM
kkorman

THIS IS IN NO WAY ANTI-AMERICAN OR UNPATRIOTIC. It is the most common interpretation of JL Imagine and the pics were from 40 years ago. How this related to our current situation in Iraq I do not understand! Man, this thread annoys me. People need to take a chill.

I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND THE DIXIE CHICKS!
Old April 14th, 2003, 02:58 PM
daman

What are all these "peacenics idiots thinking Kitana ? They must be blind if they didn't connect a song about "peace " regardless of it's age to the current situation in Iraq? They must all be French...... Freedom Fries Forever!
Old April 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM
kkorman

Peace to you!
Old April 14th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Tom321

Hey, I was on the Grand on 3/30 and went to the show. I thought it a little inappropriate but it didn't really bother me or the people I was with. I was on the cruise to have fun and not let these kind of things get to me. I am more upset at the weather which caused us to miss 2 ports that week!
Old April 15th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

To quote General Sherman: "War is Hell".
I would like to think most humane people are anti-war . Do your comments mean you are pro-war and all its suffering?
Imagine is anti-war in the generic sense. Since John Lennon is long dead, HOW ON EARTH could it have anything to do with the current war? I really fail so see how an anti-war song written some time ago can be construed as anything but against the suffering of WAR period. Quite frankly I am not surprised that you were treated as hyper-sensitive. Do you REALLY think NCL plotted to deliberately offend some of its passengers?.
Old April 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Correction NCL should be Princess. For some reason I have NCL on the brain.
Old April 15th, 2003, 05:19 PM
kkorman

I agree 100% Jeanne. Of course people like demon, I mean daman, would consider you a "peacenic idiot". I'd rather be a peaceful idiot than an ignorant idiot.