Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Henry

Default Bus from Anchorage to Seward

Can anyone coment on the bus ride from Anchorage Airport to Seward. How long? Stops along the way? How often, etc.? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Bus from Anchorage to Seward

It is a lovely ride... along the river for a good part of the way... 2 to 3 hours... depending on conditions. I find it to be an enjoyable part of the Alaska experience rather than a negative.

Old April 9th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Frank

Spend a few dollars more and take the train - it is a more comfortable way to see the scenery.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 10th, 2003, 11:14 AM
SharB

Henry,
My experience was that the bus stops once about half way for a stretch-break. I agree with Frank about the train. You get to see lots of glaciers that you can't see from the road (or the ship) :o)

Shar
Old April 10th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Henry,

Princess's "motorcoach" (bus) transfer is non-stop, except for a possible "stretch break." The schedule allocates about three hours for the transfer.

I agree with Frank's advice to opt for the "Grandview Rail Transfer" between Anchorage and Seward instead. You'll have much more comfortable digs, some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere, and availability of food and beverage service (including alcoholic beverages in the club car) aboard the train. The train pulls right up to the end of the cruise ship pier in Seward, and the package includes transfers between the airport and the rail station with an optional stop at Princess's hospitality suite in downtown Anchorage (where you can go shopping and to lunch on your own) if your flight schedule allows extra time there.

Norm.
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM
bella c

Default Re: Re: Bus from Anchorage to Seward

We are booked on the Coral Princess starting in Fairbanks. We are on a Princess land tour. In Anchorage our itinerary says we are taking a coat to seward. Do you have any idea how we can change this. Do it now or when we get there. How did you do it.
Old April 13th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Bus from Anchorage to Seward

Bella,

I'm not sure that you can change it if you are on a cruise tour, but it does not cost anything to have your travel agent call Princess to inquire. If Princess receives enough inquiries, they probably will offer cruise-tour packages that include the Grandview Rail Transfer next season.

Norm.
Old April 14th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Bus from Anchorage to Seward

Well they have to get that train back to Seward so they should be selling passage in both directions. As was mentioned, check with your TA.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 14th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bus from Anchorage to Seward

Frank,

Yes. The caveat is that the southbond train leaves Anchorage around noon, so you have to arrive in Anchorage by about 10:00 AM in order to make it. If a cruise-tour has an overnight stay in Anchorage on the night before embarkation, that should be no problem. In this case, however, it sounds like the cruise-tour might go to the new Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge, with the final transfer being by bus from there to Valdez and then by boat from Valdez to Seward.

Norm.
Old April 14th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Yeoman

bella c

We are also going on the Coral Princess sailing June,14. But we are doing the land portion ourselves. We rented a car and are driving from Fairbanks to Seward. Almost took the train but, wanted the freedom the car gives us.
I'am happy to see that there are more Coral passengers out there, when are you sailing?. I can't wait for this adventure to begin, as it is our first trip to Alaska.
Old April 15th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Bus from Anchorage to Seward

>I'am happy to see that there are more Coral passengers out there, when are you sailing?<

We are embarking on the Coral on 4/23/03 and take it from FLL to SFO, 15 days via the Panama Canal. From there I guess it will start it's Alaskan cruises.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Admiral

It is a lovely ride... along the river for a good part of the way... 2 to 3 hours... depending on conditions. I find it to be an enjoyable part of the Alaska experience rather than a negative.

It's not a river, Turnagain Arm. I have to agree with the others, the bus would be my last choice, the scenery is far superior from the train. But I have mostly driven which is preferable to allow for many stops along the way and the ability to head to Exit Glacier for some great hiking. IF you do take the bus be certain to sit on the passenger side so to have full views of the arm.
Old April 25th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Jencase

Another option is to take a short flight from Seward to Anchorage. It was actually less expensive than the bus or train and we had an amazing flight! We could clearly see Mt. McKinley and lots of other sites. I've never taken the train, so I can't compare the two, but I would highly recommend the flight. You'll obviously miss some sights, but I think you'll gain a lot of other sites that most don't get to see. At least from a different perspecitve. Less money, more thrilling, and lots less time! I can't remember the company that flies, but I found it online (although it took a lot of searching). We got a special (might have been a "pre-season" special because we flew in mid June.) so it was only $35 per person one way. Oh! I just found it. It's called F.S. Air Service, Inc. Sorry, don't have any phone numbers. They are very small planes, but that was half the thrill. We had a great female pilot and the ride was very, very smooth. It was my first time in a small plane, so I was quite nervous. Kind of like a fair ride...when it was over, I wanted to go again!

Jen