Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Default Delta Airlines luggage charge RIPOFF!

Here's a word of warning to all traveling on Delta Airlines and possibly other airlines out of Fort Lauderdale. There are new baggage overweight restrictions that Delta is strictly enforcing at the airport. They now charge $25.00 for any single piece of luggage over 50 pounds and less than 71 pounds and $80.00 if it is between 71-100 pounds. (There is also an additional charges for excess pieces above the two per passenger.) As you stand in the long lines to check your luggage at the security screening checkpoint, if any bag appears to be larger than normal or heavy, they drag it over to a scale and weigh it. If it is overweight, they send you to the Delta baggage claim counter to stand in another line to pay the fee.

My wife and I bought a new larger pullman several years ago so that we could pack everything into two pieces of checked luggage rather than dealing with three or four smaller pieces. Even though we were allowed four pieces up to 50 pounds each, this larger piece weighed 70 pounds and we got whacked with a 25 buck excess weigh charge. The problem is that we have used the same piece of luggage packed with the same weigh on several Delta flights including the one to Florida the previous week with no problem. It turns out Delta changed the weigh limits from 70 lbs. down to 50 lbs. on Feb. 1, 2003 and conveniently neglected to notify their passengers of this change until they were trapped in long lines at the airport. It would have been very simple to post notices at their terminal gates as well as send a notice with the recently purchased tickets. It is obvious that Delta is using this a money making scheme to take advantage of unsuspecting cruise passengers.

I hope this warning will help other cruisers avoid the experience we encountered.

Post Edited (06-21-03 08:20)
Regal Princess - 1996; Star Princess - 1995
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Delta Airlines luggage charge RIPOFF!

swell! isn't that so kind of them. I can really see myself packing a scale in my baggage so i can weigh it after the cruise! yup.
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

This is not really news as almsot ALL airlines have been charging this fee for months now....pays to check out their websites once in a while!

Old April 24th, 2003, 11:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Delta Airlines luggage charge RIPOFF!

Not all airlines have adopted these weight changes. Clipped from USAirways' Website this morning. "Each piece of baggage to be checked without charge cannot exceed a weight of 70 pounds and dimensions of 62 inches, in overall length, width and height." http://www.usair.com/customers/trave...gage/index.htm

Clipped from Airtran's Website this morning: "For each fare-paying customer, AirTran Airways allows three (3) checked pieces, with size limitations. The maximum weight is 70 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches for the first piece of baggage." http://www.airtran.com/info/faq/index.jsp#baggage

Clipped from Southwest Airlines' Website this morning. "Maximum weight is 70 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage." http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/baggage.html

If Delta makes a policy change that affects my cost, they should notify me, I shouldn't have to search their Website looking for their policy changes. I would have no reason to suspect that the same bag I have used on previous Delta flights is now considered overweight. Had I known that, I would have packed additional bags. It would have been easy to notify their passengers of these changes.

Post Edited (04-24-03 10:29)
Old April 24th, 2003, 12:51 PM
kkorman

This changed a while back and was seen on their website. Did you confirm your flights? At this point it woul dbe visible.
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:56 PM
First Mate

The change with Delta occured on Feb.1, 2003 well after I booked my cruise and airline through Princess. Yes, I did confirm my flight arrangements online as a Delta Skymiles member as well as select our seat assignments. There was nothing on Delta's homepage nor on My Itineraries page indicating a change in the luggage weigh restrictions and charges. I don't make a habit of reading all the pages of a huge Website hunting for changes in their policies. You have to dig deep into Delta's Website to find out about the weight restrictions. As a matter of fact, there is no mention of the weight restrictions even in the "Baggage FAQs" section.

Old April 24th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Laura (UK)

Default Re: Re: Re: Delta Airlines luggage charge RIPOFF!

I've booked Easyjet (a UK low cost airline) for our Med cruise this summer. In keeping with all airlines they too have lowered their baggage allowances. However, they are honouring the higher allowance of 25kg IF you have booked your tickets prior to the new weight restrictions being enforced. As a result although the weight limit is one bag only of under 20 kg, they will still allow me to take a bag weighing up to 25kg.

Laura
Old April 24th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Admiral

i totally agree with you Bob, the very least that Delta could have done is to include some type of notification with all their airline tickets . I think that all the airlines need to do the same, a simple notice.
Old April 24th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Peabodynvl

I think one reasons for the weight restriction right now is the price of fuel was going up. The heavier the planes, the more fuel they use. The more fuel they use, someone has to pay for it...either in higher airfares (which no airline wants to do right now given the poor airline economy) or finding a way of changing the limits on the baggage weights, or the airlines have to absorb the extra costs, which none can afford to do right now. Personally, I'd rather have lower fares and pay for overages as they happen, because at least that is something I have control over.

I agree that if they are going to change their policies, they need to print it on their documents and send out an email or direct mail piece to those who booked and received their information before the change was effective.

That being said, I know that airlines have been changing their baggage policies over the last year, regarding size and limiting the number of bags, so each time I fly, I check again to make sure there have been no changes. I never take anything for granted since my boyfriend is a baggage handler for United.

Pea
Old April 24th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Admiral

And, I think I'd look long and hard into finding another airline to fly on!!!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Bob,

I understand that you are upset, but Delta did notify the world via (1) a press release announcing the change and (2) clear posting of the new policy on their web site. The new policy was also discussed in an earlier thread on this message board, so I'm surprised that you are not aware of it. Of course, Delta waives this charge for those who fly frequently enough to qualify for the waiver....

BTW, the charge for bags over 70 pounds is substantially more.

Overweight baggage actually has a fairly significant cost to the airlines because it requires extra personnel to handle it thoughout the baggage handling process and it results in higher claims for workmen's compenstion when baggage handlers injure themselves by lifting bags that are overweight. It seems reasonable for the airlines to institute a charge to recover such costs.

That said, you might have basis for a legal claim if you purchased your ticket before the date when the new policy took effect since the purchase of the ticket establishes a binding contract. Since the amount in question is less than $2,000, you could file such a claim in small claims court and thus avoid legal fees.

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2003, 06:32 PM
First Mate

Norm wrote: "...Delta did notify the world via (1) a press release announcing the change and (2) clear posting of the new policy on their web site." Sorry Norm, I do not consider a press release proper notification for that type of policy change and I certainly don't read my newspaper from cover to cover daily. As far as the Delta Website, it is definitely not posted clearly there. Go take a look for yourself. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the luggage restrictions and charges are buried deep in their Website and you have to hunt to find them. It is certainly not posted prominently as it should be, nor did they notify me directly as they could have. They manage to send me an email at least weekly with new rate information.

Norm wrote: "BTW, the charge for bags over 70 pounds is substantially more." Yes, I know, I mentioned this in my original post. It's 80 bucks for a bag between 71 and 100 pounds.

Norm wrote: "Overweight baggage actually has a fairly significant cost to the airlines because it requires extra personnel to handle it thoughout the baggage handling process and it results in higher claims for workmen's compenstion when baggage handlers injure themselves by lifting bags that are overweight. It seems reasonable for the airlines to institute a charge to recover such costs." Hmmmmmm.... I wonder why it's just become necessary to implement this change since Feb. 1, 2003. That same piece of luggage weighing the same amount didn't seem to cause them any problems six months ago and all those prior years. Oh... it's apparently isn't a problem if you fly USAirways or Southwest Airlines.

Let's face it Norm. This is a case of gouging the customer. I don't quibble with their ability to change their policies, but all I ask is proper and clear notification when the change is that drastic and cost me money. They did not charge me on my flights to Florida, only coming back through Fort Lauderdale, which leads me to believe that this is a scam to nail unsuspecting cruise passengers.

My purpose in posting my message was to warn others on this board so they didn't fall prey to the same scam.

Old April 24th, 2003, 07:41 PM
TX Longhorn

Funny to see all this here, since my friends and I just heard something today from America West reservations. We're all fying to LAX this Sat to catch a cruise, and she called about something else and the gal told her they are now strictly enforcing the luggage weight rule--anything over 50 pounds is an extra $50, and if it's over 75 pounds, it's an extra $75. Pretty crappy when our ticket ws only $78! (58 not including tax!).

I can understand HEAVY bags, but come on--my large samsonite suitcase (not an out of the ordinary size by any means) by itself weighs 17 pounds. I think 50 pounds is a little unrealstic--or at least $50 is unrealistic--one or the other.

Thanks for the warning about Delta. Now you're advised about AWA, too.
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:50 PM
First Mate

The worst part about all this- it appears the checking is random. You should have seen the lines of people fresh off cruise ships a few weekends ago in Fort Lauderdale airport. Some bags went through without question - others flagged - and people were on the floors emptying their luggage trying to rearrange it to meet the weight restriction-holding up the lines- total chaos.
I know our bag was heavy - had it been weighed and found to exceed the limit I would have paid the $25.00 just to move things along for the hundreds of people behind me.
It went through, while our friend in the line next to us got flagged and weighed- he paid the fee. If they are going to do this - shouldn't it be enforced with some consistancy?
it was just amazing.
The same bags at JFK in NYC sailed right through.

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Passenger

The Boss and I normally travel with 2 29" suitcases. For our last cruise, we bought an additoinal 26" suitcase. We find that if we divide our normal stuff equally, we can pretty much be guaranteed to be under 50 lbs. Now Delta and the others get to handle an additional suitcase.
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Peabodynvl

Was reading an article in a Conde Naste Traveler in my doctors office yesterday. I think it was from the end of last year. Airlines lowering their luggage restrictions to 50 lbs at that time were: Delta, American, Northwest and United. So please check with your airline before you go.

Pea
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Peabodynvl

Oh, by the way, a handy feature on most, if not all, airline sites is the "Search" field. Instead of trying to navigate through the site by tabs, search for such terms as "baggage weight" and you will usually get the correct page right away. I tried this on both the United and Northwest sites and got the info I needed immediately.

As my boyfriend says, "That's why God made search fields".

Pea
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:38 PM
John Lehet

In April we flew back from San Diego to Philly after the Panama Canal Cruise on SPIRIT. Before leaving home I checked the web and saw that America West , which we booked in December, reduced the weight to 50 lbs "for reservations after April l". I felt that my 60 lb suitcases were safe on the limitations but after boarding the ship another couple also using America West interpreted it as "flying after 4/l". I was concerned over the 2 interpretations but when we docked in San Diego I called AWA and the person said we were grand-fathered and put a note in the computer as to that fact. At the airport, the counter person noted the exception and we had no problem with weight.

A bigger problem is that the FEDS open EVERY piece of luggage you declare. On one piece of luggage I flipped it off the conveyor rack at Philly and all our remaining clothes fell on the floor. Whoever opened the luggage never zipped it back up. Seems the one zipper would not lock as you ziped it around. The snap on the other end did close and lock the zipper. About 1/3 of our clothes were missing. They were worth probably $200. We did not put in a claim because it would probably take forever and they would probably want receipts, etc. that I do not have. That piece of luggage is going to the dump and I'm trying to find a belt or something to go around my other pieces so it will force them to strap the luggage after they open it.

It is not easy to fly any more...
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:00 PM
First Mate

Hi,

We also just got back and flew with Delta airlines. I couldn't believe they were going to charge us, we were flying to Australia after the cruise as my wife is from Australia and we just got married on the Coral and wanted to go celebrate with her family. When we got to the airport it was the worst service I have ever experienced. We had packed alot as we were going to be away for awhile and man did they try to take advantage of that one. They tried to ding us for all three bags, the lady takes my bag then says take this tag and go over there and pay. I said hold on pay what? She just rudely said go over there sir and pay and we will take your bags. While I went over there and did I complain, I basically threatened to fly with their competitors next time and I will be sure to tell all my friends, family and co workers of my expereince. I said in this rough time you could probably use positive feedback so I suggested they waive this charge. Eventually they did but after that I still found it horrible service......little blue bag.......shove it up their$#&*!!!!!!! Where is the service??

Welcome to the airline industry in 2003.....good luck Delta you will need it to survive.

Peter(aged 28)
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Passenger

As info, the charge for additional weight from 50-70 lbs is not charged to" Medallions " SkyMIle members. The are also allowed to have a third piese of checked luggage.