Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2003, 07:25 AM
spagirl

Default AB or AD minisuite on Grand?

Any information comparing an AB minisuite on the Dolphin deck to an AD minisuite on the Emerald deck of the Grand Princess would be most appreciated. I have booked an AB minisuite, which is in the midship area, but I am aware that an AD minisuite farthest aft on the Emerald deck is available. I am prone to seasickness, but medication helps me. Would the AD minisuite be noisy or exhibit more motion? I have heard that the AD minisuites have covered balconies. Has anyone had problems with an open balcony?
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Peabodynvl

Default Re: AB or AD minisuite on Grand?

Many people rave about the aft mini-suites, as these are the only mini-suites with covered balconies. My friend went last month and stayed in E728 and had no problems with motion sickness...and she is a little sensitive. She also took along some Bonine and would take a half a dose if she felt the least bit nauseated. These mini-suites are also above the Vista Lounge and may get some noise bleed-through. Most people say that they really can't hear it, but my friend said it was very apparent. So, if you go to bed early while a show is on, there may be a problem.

Pea
Old April 26th, 2003, 06:14 PM
spagirl

Default Re: Re: AB or AD minisuite on Grand?

Pea, thanks for the information.
Old April 28th, 2003, 12:20 AM
First Mate

Hi Spagirl,

I stayed in E729 a few weeks ago. I can honestly say I never heard any noise from the show lounge below. The balcony was fantastic! That little bonus is great. The balcony wraps around giving room for 2 full lounge chairs as well as the standard balcony furniture.
There was slight vibration - felt more in the bed area and not in the sitting area. It wasn't enough to bother me at all. We had some rough seas that week and the motion could be felt in many areas of the ship. Yes, there was motion - but I expect to feel it - and usually enjoy it. It lets me know I'm really on a moving vessel! I like to call it- being rocked to sleep in natures cradle. Corny, I know <G>. I was in a midship location on a cruise last spring, in calmer seas - and I honestly attributed the motion on the Grand to the rougher sea conditions. By the second and third night I adjusted- and although I was aware - it didn't phase me at all.

Having stayed in this room I would definately book it again, on the Grand or other Grand class ship. I thought it was a great location - very quiet and private. I loved that room!

Good Luck and have a great cruise!

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Peabodynvl

It's interesting, cuz many people like Deja don't hear the noise bleed-through or the vibrations and others hear it very clearly. I know Spagirl posted this on another board and I like Toto said she too experience quite a bit of noise and vibration. I wonder what causes the discrepancies?

Pea
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:52 AM
First Mate

Pea,

Could it be the time of night we returned to our cabin? We tended to dine on the late side, then find something to do - and once returning to our cabin would get changed into comfy sleep clothes and hang out on the balcony for a while. We were up quite late most nights. I wonder if this made the difference, as the shows were over by the time we made it back to the cabin. Also, we were in a group of six - and we'd usually end up on my balcony, as it was larger and we could all hang out there for our night caps, etc..... and we were making some noise ourselves

As for the vibration - I did feel it. It was mostly on the bed side of the room and not in the sitting area. I didn't think it was horrible (exept for the first night when I was so sick)... I got used to it and it actually rocked me to sleep!

Take Care,
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Peabodynvl

Could be, Deja! But my friend MauiLuvr said she could clearly hear the string quartet playing in the Vista Lounge while she was getting ready for dinner each night (early traditional sitting). Plus, she also was in the cabin during one of the bingo tournaments and heard every number being called. She was in E728.

Pea
Old April 29th, 2003, 10:48 PM
First Mate

Pea-

wow - I never heard a thing! It may have been timing -but you'd think that out of seven days we'd be in our cabin during something going on in that lounge! It's very odd indeed.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the exact placement of E728 and E729 - meaning - maybe the noise bleeds through more in 728? Who knows....

Now- a riot could have been going on down there and my husband wouldn't have heard a thing - he's deaf! <lol> Seriously - and he didn't bring his hearing aids because with all the high humidity and wind they end up bugging out on him - plus in the heat they are uncomfortable. I don't have to worry about noise when thinking about a cabin location for him at least - lol!

Take Care...

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed the Grand, Easter 2002 in E719 minisuite. The room was large & awesome & we loved the covered balcony . . . very private. Note the bathroom has a full tub & a lot of counter space with a huge closet area including shelves!
There was some vibration also felt while in the bed of the minisuite.
Never heard the entertainment from below.
Go for it!
Laurie
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:46 AM
evie

I would take the mini suite on the emeral deck. I was on the Golden in December and had E718 and loved the mini suite in the back. The privacy is much better than on the emeral deck. I am a light sleeper and prone to motion sickness and was fine. I just made sure I took my bonnie once a day. Loved the category so much that we are booked on the Grand Princess this coming December and have the famous cabin 729 on the end. Really going to look forward to it.