Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2003, 11:13 AM
jkahler

Default Doing laundry on Ship

We will be on the Sun Princess May 19-26. We have 6 days on land before the cruise, so doing laundry will be necessary during the first or second day on the ship. When is the best time of day to do laundry? (I am an early riser.). Do most people do laundry while they are on a cruise? How many washers/dryers are on each deck? Is an iron available?

Is there laundrymat etiquette I should be aware of?
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Peabodynvl

Default Re: Doing laundry on Ship

I don' t think most people do laundry on the ship. I think you will be fine, especially since you are doing laundry at the beginning, rather than the end of the cruise. I am not sure whether an iron is available in the laundry rooms, but you can room one from housekeeping brought to your cabin.
Old April 26th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just don't wait until the last day, for sure they machines will be busy. Any other time during the cruise you should not have any problems, especially if its a port day and you get back onboard in the afternoon and yes, there are irons and ironing boards in the laundry room too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 26th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Admiral

You can only use the iron in the laundry rooms. On the Coral, they had laundry rooms about every other passenger deck and I learned they had 2 irons and ironing boards in each. I'd guess this would be a popular place (for those who do laundry on board ... I'm not one of them) on sea days ... other than that, it's a first come, first served.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Mike & Charlotte

Default Re: Re: Doing laundry on Ship

You can tell how many laundry rooms there are from the deck plans; if you don't have a brochure, go to www.princess.com and click on ships, then on the particular ship you'll be on.

There are washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards, and soap and stuff in each laundry room..

If you need to do laundry when you arrive on ship, try to board early, eat lunch in the in the buffet and then head to the laundry room. You'll be surprised by how many women are in there to iron all the wrinkles out from the suitcase!

Have a great cruise,
Charlotte
Old April 27th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Cruiszer

We used the laundry facilities on the Sun Princess during a 17 day cruise. I would advise you to bring your own detergent. We purchased some in the laundry room and ended up ruining an entire load. The detergent was clumpy and stained all of of our clothing.
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Admiral

do you have time to do a load of laundry before you board? Hit the local laundromat on the last morning of your land trip if possible. I will use the laundry while on a cruise ship, i won't do a major wash, but will do things like socks, t-shirts and undies. Go early in the morning -try to time your wash around "meal times" on the ship, less crowded that way or you can do it late at night after dinner. Port days are great days to do laundry - if you get back early, throw a wash in. I also bring my own liquid detergent, mainly because i can only use "free" products due to allergies, and i like to wash my delicates in the bathroom sink.
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:56 AM
First Mate

I don't do laundry but I do take advantage of the mid-week laundry service special. On the Grand I sent 2 stuffed bags and it cost me $30.00. Money well spent to me- because that was laundry I could either just unpack, or re-hang in my closet when I got home.

They did a fantastic job with everything. It was all pressed- even my undies! The tanks and polo shirts, slacks and pants were all pressed and on hangers. Even my pajamas were pressed and hung. It was well worth it to me!
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Frank

Bring change as the change machines were out on 3 decks last week. I finally found one that worked on the eight level.
Frank-in-CA
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Gary Karschnick

The etiquette that I am aware of is to be there to take your clothes out of the washers and dryers when they are done. On our last cruise with Princess, a woman left her clothes in the washer while she went to dinner. Another passebger renoved them when the cycle was over so she could use the washer. 2 hours later the first woman returned and through a fit because someone had taken her clothes out of the washer. By the way, there were only 2 washing machines. I witnessed the "fit" and finally told her that if it had been me and someone was so inconsiderate to tie up the machine for hours while she went to dinner, I would have taken her clothes out and thrown them overboard. She just didn't understand because she was "special".
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Gary you are totally correct with your laundromat etiquette. If you went to a laundy back home,and decided to leave- when your wash was done, and when you decided to come back you would find your wet laundry in a heap in a basket
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Gary,
I too would of taken the clothes out, may-be not thrown them overboard, but that is totally inconsiderate :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:38 PM
BillG

That kind of behavior is a major reason, I would rather use the ship's laundry service than subject myself (or my wife) to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. Besides which, it seems to me that there are plenty of better things to be doing on a cruise than sitting in a laundry room to wait for the spin dry cycle to finish.
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Frank

The one load of socks and personal items I usually do per trip does not take much time to handle. I pop it in and set my watch so I know when to return. Then I lounge about the pool until it is time to move it to a dryer. Then, once again, it is pool time until it is done. It might take a few trips between floors but that's probably the only exercise I get while on board and it sure doesn't hurt me to do so.
Frank-in-CA
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:21 PM
An Author

If you do laundry on the first day of the cruise, I think you'll find you have no difficulty getting a machine.

As to etiquette, I also set my watch as a reminder, and don't let my clothes overstay their welcome, so to speak. But, if I have to remove someone else's things to do a load of laundry, I do. If it's not something personal (ie: slacks and shirts, rather than underwear and pajamas), I'll try to neatly fold them so that they aren't a wrinkled mess when the owner returns. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but that's what I do...

I also agree with the others who say that the ship's laundry is reasonable. I send virtually all tops/bottoms to the cleaners, though, and sending them to the ship's laundry is no more expensive (less, maybe?) than at home. I really only use the laundromat onboard for the little personal stuff that I can't stand to bring home without being cleaned.
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:10 PM
kubies

I can't find the laundromat on the deck plans for the Sun. Where are they located?
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:11 PM
SharB

The laundromats are shown in a small tan rectangle in the center portion of the ship. On Aloha, Baja, and Caribe, they are located on the Starboard (right) side of the ship just aft of the most forward stairwell.

Dolphin and Emerald's are both located on Starboard, almost all the way forward. Ask a room steward if you can't find them.