Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Frank

Default Golden Princess - 5/29/03

Just wanted to say hi to anyone who might be on the same sailing. Anyone have some good information about the ship? I've heard they "nickel and dime" you by making you pay for all the extras. Is this true?

Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Golden Princess - 5/29/03

Hiya Frank
I will be travelling the same trip as you with my Mum, Dad and brother Tom. We all went on the star last summer with my Grandparents and she was stunning! Apparently The Star Golden and Grand are very similar, if so im sure you will enjoy your trip!
Emily
Old April 28th, 2003, 05:13 PM
susancruzs

I think all the cruise lines participate in what is called the "nickel and diming" routine. I was on the Golden Princess for Thanksgiving 2002 and enjoyed it very much. They push water when you get off the ship (I bring a sports bottle and fill it in the cabin), there are always sales from the shops, art auctions, etc. routine for all ships now.

I was just on the Brilliance of the Seas and same thing, water, shop sales, auctions, etc. One thing I did notice after dinner specialty coffees were free on the Golden Princess and RCI charged for cappucino (sp).

They all have their extra charge specialty restaurants, photographers everywhere, and the photos are pricier than before.

Some things you just can't get away from! Don't let it detract from your cruise!!!

Enjoy! Susie
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:07 AM
trish Stewart

Frank

We were on the Golden at Christmas 2002 and enjoyed every minute. We never felt pressured into buying. We bought the soda cards which we found to be excellent value and we had heard waiting staff recluctant to serve you but we had no trouble.

There was a bottle water in stateroom which you will be charged for if you open it. We never had anyone trying to push water when arriving in port.

Overall we thought any extras eg speciallity restaurants were good value.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy.

Trish
Scotland
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie

We were on the Golden Princess 4/19-4/26. Absolutely incredible time. We NEVER felt pressured to purchase anything "extra" from the spa to the after-dinner drinks. The ship is fabulous, the crew extraordinary and the week went all too fast. Enjoy every minute!!!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Golden Princess - 5/29/03

Frank,
There are several of us who are going on this cruise who've been posting on the cruise critic board. I'm hoping we can all get together sometime on board to meet each other. We're assuming Turkey is still in the plan as I've had no official word from Princess otherwise. I can't wait to go. 26 days and counting!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Golden Princess - 5/29/03

P.S. I was on the Sea Princess in 2001 and the Golden in 2002. I didn't feet 'nickel and dimed'. Yes, there are numerous opportunities for spending money, but they were optional and avoidable. We don't gamble at all and don't drink much so my bill was mostly the tips and the photos I bought. When one is paying the cheap fares they've been offering, I think once should expect a few of the 'extras' to not be included for free. That's just my thought. Obviously, the Med is tour intensive so I expect to spend a fair amount outside the cost of the cruise this time, just not all of it to Princess (using private guides in some places). It's going to be a great trip!
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Lane Send a message via MSN to Lane Send a message via Yahoo to Lane

I agree with Jody in that you can expect to pay some extra because the Med is a very tour intensive cruise. We were on the Golden last summer (it now seems like 20 years ago) and did not feel pressured to purchase anything. I do suggest the soda card because when getting back to the Golden after a long hot day, it is nice to pick up some sodas and bring back to the room. Hope you guys have an awesome time!!
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:01 AM
nejat incedogan

Finally Golden is going to come to TUrkish ports.
İn case you are intrested read the reviews at various message boards re this ship in 2000.
regards
Nejat İncedogan
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:02 AM
nejat incedogan

It was so nice to see the Golden back in Turkey after two years.
This morning she was in harbor of Kusadası after two years and weather was nice warm and almost all passangers visiting Ephesus with smiling happy face .
Tomorrow 13 th she will be back in Istanbul after two years again.
Looking forward seeing more cruisers in our beatiful country and expecting more cruise ships in the near future

regards

Nejat İncedogan
Guide Lecturer
Ephesus/Istanbul

alternative email:
nincedogan@ephesusguides.com
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:49 PM
jeanna

Hi, just got back from the Golden Princess 05/05 - 05/17. The cruise wildly exceeded my expectations. I traveled solo and sprung for a balcony (port side is best if going from Barcelona to Venice). It was simply unbelievable. I met a few independent explorers like myself and saw great places (only did ship shore excursions in Istanbul and Monte Carlo). I never felt pressured into any extra charges. Can't wait to do it again soon!!! You will love your cruise!!!! Jeanna
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Canada SCOTT

my wife are on the Golden May 29. First time on a cruise. Looking for the best choices in ports. And trying to get best reviews of the ship food, drink and spa info