Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Pool decks on Coral in Alaska

We will be on the Coral on the August 16th run from Vancouver to Seward/Anchorage. I've been reading about all of the activities that the ships have on the "open" decks. Such as shuffle board, ping-pong, etc. However, those cruises were to the Caribbean or some other warm weather place. What kind of activities does the Coral or any other Princess ship have while sailing through Alaska, where the weather is quite a bit cooler? If it's raining and/or cold, what activities do they have/do?
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Frank

Default Re: Pool decks on Coral in Alaska

One of the Coral pools has a retractable cover. Unfortunately, when they closed it due to a shower in the Panama Canal, they had the air conditioning running so low that it was much colder in that area as opposed to the nice warm weather around the outside pool. Don't worry, there will be enough to do on that short cruise to Alaska.
Frank-in-CA
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Short cruise? I thought a 7 day cruise was the average length of a cruise. We're taking the 1 way cruise then a 4 day land tour that ends in Fairbanks!!
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Passenger

The only short cruises are the repositioning cruises, also known as coastals. As far as a retractable roof over the deck area's I asked Princess and they said they don't have them! Which is Frank? Do they have them because if they do then Princess needs to get it together real quick...........but then I think I already knew they had to get it together ROFL
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Pool decks on Coral in Alaska

First of all, I look at any cruise of less than 10 days as being a short cruise. We just returned from a 15 day repositioning through the Panama Canal, have an 18 day scheduled in September and a 14 day in Jan-Feb. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

There may be a problem with terminology but the aft pool on the Lido deck of the Coral Princess has a retractable roof. I am trying to attach a photo of this pool and if it works you will be able to see the roof structure that moves to close.
Frank-in-CA

Old May 14th, 2003, 11:27 PM
kubies

Default Re: Re: Re: Pool decks on Coral in Alaska

We were on this cruise and found the aft pool, the Lotus Pool, to be our favorite. The ambience was very elegant and servie unobtrusive to the point of having to serch it out, a plus in our book. Given the Alaska Cruise climate, this may be "the place to be."
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Carole Dunham

The major activity outside on any ship in Alaska is just looking at the amazing scenery. On my last cruise up people were in bikinis around the outside pool. I'm from Miami. I put on my parka and watched Alaska go by.

Carole
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Kelley,

The length of typical cruises varies from line to line. Cruises less than seven days on Princess are extremely rare (usually about four to six sailings per year, specially branded as "Love Boat Sampler" itineraries targeted primarily as "fam" (familiarization) cruises for travel agents and introductory cruises for first-timers except when combined back to back with the preceding or following cruise) while cruises of ten to fourteen days are pretty common (at least a third of the fleet typically is doing cruises of this length) and cruises longer than fourteen days also are readily available. Thus, most Princess regulars and staff regard seven days as short, ten to fourteen days as medium length, and anything over fourteen days as long.

This probably is about comparable to the viewpoint on Holland America Lines. The viewpoint of either Royal Caribbean International or Carnival Cruises, OTOH, probably would be radically different, as several of their ships operate cruises of three to five days on a year-round basis and cruises over two weeks are virtually non-existent on those lines.

Norm.
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Nicole,

The only short cruises are the repositioning cruises, also known as coastals. As far as a retractable roof over the deck area's I asked Princess and they said they don't have them! Which is Frank?

For the record, MV Grand Princess, MV Golden Princess, MV Star Princess, and MV Coral Princess have two main swimming pools, one of which is under a retractable dome. All five vessels now under construction (MV Island Princess MV Diamond Princess, MV Caribbean Princess, MV Sapphire Princess, and the unnamed sister to MV Caribbean Princess) will have the same arrangement. The rest of the Princess Cruises fleet has only outdoor pools.

Norm.