Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Frank

Default Carnival loses another one

This is the second passenger to fall from a Carnival cruise ship in the
last two months. You don't suppose alcohol had anything to do with
it? The other one they found - nothing yet about finding this one:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,86573,00.html

Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival loses another one

Appears this one may have been a jumper due to a fight with sweetie on the "honeymoon".
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Admiral

oh my. I had not heard about this one. It still boggles my mind as to how someone can fall( or perhaps jump) overboard on a cruise ship.
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Only a matter of time before someone dives off a Princess ship.............

Personally, I wouldn't get ON one let alone jump from one
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Lisa, I agree . It boggles my mind too. If you keep your feet on the deck where they belong there is no way to accidently fall overboard.
From what has been said, it appears there was alchol and a spat between mr / mrs and he jumped off the balcony.

I live on the coast and we just had a bridge completed ( 6 years and $ 121 million )
and a few nights ago we had a jumper--was 40 yrs old, drunk and had a fight with the girlfriend. This bridge is so high I bet he had a lot of time to wish he hadn't done it prior to splashdown. Took a day but they found him floating out to sea.
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Carnival loses another one

Ron and all:
I originally posted this as another knock on Carnival only to find out that the person who fell overboard actually is the son of a very good friend that I went to college with. It seems this is another alcohol related event where 5 couples crammed into a cabin and the macho men were doing some kind of pushups or other gymnastics on the balcony. This young man was 35 years old and on his honeymoon. There was no lovers quarrel, just the stupidity of youth. He had his problems through his 20's with getting a focus on his life. Over the past five years, he settled down, held a steady job and met a nice woman - he was building a life most parents would want their kids to eventually imitate. Or so it seemed. As one can imagine, the parents are devastated.

I really shot myself in the foot by being glib with this.
Frank
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Frank, I wouldn't beat up on myself on this if I were you. You had no way of knowing at the time it was a friends son.I didn't think you were being glib about the matter.

I know sometimes I too may sound "glib" about something like this. I think anytime anyone loses their life it is truly a shame, but sometimes people contribute to their own demise. As I said in the other post--if people keep their feet on the deck there is no way to fall overboard. I am surprised this doesn't happen more than it does and I do think we will hear of it more often due to the large numbers of balconies on ships today.
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Frank

Thanks Ron,

I'm also finding out how devastating the media can be. They've been hounding the parents and publishing outlandish stories to get reader interest. It keeps opening the wounds. One publication claimed he never got back on the ship after leaving the last port even though there were ship photos of him at dinner the evening of his demise.

Indications are that he might have been dead before he hit the water. Supposedly an eye witness saw the fall and that he hit his head on a tender on the way down from the 10th deck. Minimal, he was unconcious initially on the surface of the water, face up with his mouth agape.

The parents agree it was a stupid act that caused this but wish the media would find something else to focus on. Maybe we can invade Syria or something?
Frank
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Admiral

NikkiC_6to3,

Personally, I wouldn't get ON one let alone jump from one

So you really did come here solely to stir up trouble?

If that's case, I have to agree with the poster who told you to get a life!

Norm.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival loses another one

Frank,

I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

These incidents are inexcusable, and really tough when they hit so close to home.

I have to agree with Ron. You could not have done anything to change the situation, so there's no point in beating yourself up over what you did not know.

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Carole Dunham

They found the man's body washed ashore in Alabama yesterday. What a hideous ending for a vacation that's supposed to be fun. Every year in Florida some kids die by taking a swan dive off their hotel's balcony into the swimming pool. Sometimes they don't make it. It's a miracle we all survive our youth. Daytona Beach, which took over from Ft. Lauderdale when Ft. Lauderdale didn't want the spring breakers anymore, has also decided not to welcome the kids anymore. So more of them on cruises???

Carole
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Passenger

So you really did come here solely to stir up trouble?

If that's case, I have to agree with the poster who told you to get a life!

Norm.

Not the case Norm and everyone is entitled to their OPINION that's why message boards are here!
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Passenger

Norm

You really need to chill out

Check out the anti snob thread in cruise chat.

I think you fit right in. How would you feel if you knew someone who this happened to.

Maybe you need another cruise, please try the QE2 definitely a better class of cruiser, no party animals here and definitely no trailer trash.
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Nicole,

Then why did you come here?

In your first post in this thread, you stated that you would not get onto a cruise ship, so it's fairly obvious that you have no interest whatsoever in cruising.

Norm.
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Jess,

You really need to chill out

Check out the anti snob thread in cruise chat.

I think you fit right in. How would you feel if you knew someone who this happened to.

Maybe you need another cruise, please try the QE2 definitely a better class of cruiser, no party animals here and definitely no trailer trash.

To which post are you responding that justified this rant?

By way of clarification, though, RMS Queen Elizabeth II is one vessel on which I won't be cruising anytime soon because Cunard Lines Ltd. is owned by Carnival Corporation. I have already said plenty about why I won't cruise on any vessel that's part of Carnival Corporation (which means that I'm not planning to take any more Princess cruises, either, now that Princess is part of Carnival Corporation) in plenty of other threads on this board, so there's not much to gain by belaboring the point.

Also by way of clarification, I have no objection whatsoever to an "all casual" cruise. There are many cruise lines tha offer a diverse selection of cruise products with many different lifestyles. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that people should choose a cruise line that offers the lifestyle that they wish, rather than expecting a cruise line that offers a different lifestyle to accommodate them. If I cruise on MV Regatta, you can be pretty sure that I'll leave the formal duds at home and wear casual evening attire. If I cruise on Princess, I conform to Princess's norms -- which means that I bring along my dinner jacket for the formal evenings. Far from being "snobby," I think I'm being quite consistent by suggesting that passengers choose a line that matches their lifestyles -- whether it be "upscale" or "downscale" -- rather than trying to force their lifestyles upon lines that offer something else.

Norm.
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Passenger

well Norm;

if you aren't going to cruise Princess anymore, then why do YOU come here?
As for your rendition of whatever Princess happens to print about their ships ie:
The Crown and the Carribean, maybe you should read other pages about this.
Maybe lets say Carnival's opinion on the facts since they are the owner's of Princess now.

Darren