Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Royal Princess

My husband and I are looking at a cruise on the Royal Princess this November. I have read mixed reviews on several websites, and wanted to get first-hand experience.

What did you like and dislike about the boat?

Please help!

Alaska - Princess
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:25 PM
susancruzs

Default Re: Royal Princess

I love the Royal Princess! However, you have to appreciate her for what she is! A ship built in the middle 80s, so older, no glitzy towering atrium, not as many food options as the Golden or Grand Princess! She has all outside staterooms, that are on the small side compared to ships of today but every stateroom has a bathtub!

I like the layout, the size, the style, one of my favorite ships, I sailed on her in 1986 and 2001, and I sail on her again!

Susie
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Admiral

The Royal Princess is a beautiful ship. She is older and smaller, no glitz, no glamour no soaring atriums, lots of beautiful wood, just a classy beautiful ship. I would sail on her again in a minute. This ship was commissioned by Princess Diana if that tells you anything.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Catherine,

What did you like and dislike about the boat?

First, "boat" is not the right word. In the maritime world, the word "boat" means that a vessel is not seaworthy. When used in reference to a ship, it is a major insult to the captain and the crew.

To answer your question, MV Royal Princess is a magnificent ship. Although she is nearly two decades old, her design was quite innovative -- incorporating many features that are now becoming standard in the industry. By way of example, MV Royal Princess was the first cruise ship to place the "evening" spaces on a lower deck with the majority of cabins between the topside spaces and the evening spaces -- a major innovation in layout that most ships built in the past decade have copied. She was also the first cruise ship to have an atrium (albeit only two decks high), a full wrap-around promenade deck (for those who wish to walk laps), an indoor buffet restaurant, standard outside cabins with balconies, and numerous other features that we now expect to find on every cruise ship. There are relatively few hints of her age -- the most obvious being the use of traditional metal keys for the cabins and the safes and cruise cards that are cardboard in plastic cases rather than the modern plastic cards with magnetic strips that one finds on newer vessels.

Princess has maintained MV Royal Princess very well, and has incorporated many of the newer features that one finds on more modern vessels into her regimen. Her Lido Cafe now offers 24-hour food service, with one side of her Lido Cafe now becomes a pizzeria (with sit-down table service) after the main lunch hour and the other side becomes a bistro in the evening, thus providing some degree of alternative dining. She also does not have dedicated children's, youth, and teen centers that one finds on newer ships, as there were few families cruising back in the early 1980's, but she does offer programs for children, youth, and teens whenever enough of them are aboard. She also does not offer "Anytime Dining" because she has only one main dining room and there's only one show room -- which does present a different show each night. Her layout is highly functional, so you'll find about the same variety of daytime and evening activities that you'll find on Princess's newer vessels.

Overall, I think that MV Sun Princess and MV Dawn Princess have a slight edge over MV Royal Princess -- but it's very slight. I would choose MV Royal Princess over MV Grand Princess any time, without hesitation.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:48 AM
First Mate

The only thing that keeps us from sailing the Royal Princess again is that the ship is assigned to longer itineraries that we cannot spare the time to experience. Another benefit to the ship that Norm didn't mention is that the service is more personalized compared to the bigger ships. The crew tends to get to know you better, and that translates to better service.

Old May 15th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone!

We really like the itinerary, but were concerned about the Royal Princess being too small.

I think we have talked ourselves into it since it is so port intensive, and we're not looking for a hang around the ship vacation.

Thanks again!

Post Edited (05-15-03 08:57)

Alaska - Princess
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Royal Princess

Catherine,

[i] I think we have talked ourselves into it since it is so port intensive... [/i[

A port intensive iteinerary is a serious drawback -- it diminishes your time to experience a fantastic ship!

Norm.
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

I totally disagree!!!

For me there are two types of cruises...

Relaxing - Just enjoy being on the cruise and all the ship has to offer. Most of the time on our relaxing cruises, we never even leave the ship, and really don't care about the itinerary.

Adventurous - Use the ship as your hotel, and get out and explore the ports.

Alaska - Princess
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Passenger

We are on the March 04 Amazon sailing.

Did the Norwegian fijords a couple years ago.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

Just to add my few cents worth.

I just loved the Royal Princess, it was truely an unforgetable experience. It's as if this ship has a quiet elegance about her, everyone was quiet and respectful, which definately added a certain ambiance and especially elegance to the cruise. No running or pushy people, and I feel that it is the Royal and her effect on her passengers.

We did what you would call a "port intensive itin" and it was great.

Buenos Aires to Santiago with a independant 4 day addon to Lima, Cuzco and Machu Picchu.

The ship is not glitzy. Worldly charm. We had the opportunity to compare her to the Coral, inagural sailing and as much as we loved the Coral, they are entirely different species of ships.

Even the children were well behaved on the Royal. Its as if the quiet had them a bit our of whack. We would love to do the Cape the Cape via Antartica, but by the time we add airfare, great cabins, every shore excursion that we can cram, shopping money, it all adds up. We are heading to Alaska on Dawn instead, but I am constantly keeping an eye on what the Royal is doing.

We did go all out, we had a great cabin, great table for dinner with excellent assistants, great shorex, and as we are both wine lovers, the chance to jump ashore at each port and collect various bottles of fabulous Chilean wine and have a bottle or two each night with dinner, made the experience all the better. Even the attendents in the dining room had fun with this.

So if you go, have a sit next to Princess Diana, think about her life for a brief moment and take in all that Royal has to offer, you will not be disappointed.

PS - to think that I saw on one of the boards, that passengers were asking for her portrait to be bought up at the auction - really,

Regards,
Mich
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Mich, i couldn't agree with you more. The Royal definatley has an air of calm, quiet, ambiance about her, we did a TransCanal quite a few years ago and i will never forget my experience on the Royal Princess. Definatley felt like we were treated like royalty.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Mich,

PS - to think that I saw on one of the boards, that passengers were asking for her portrait to be bought up at the auction - really,

This was in response to art that was for auction tackily displayed way too close to the magnificent portrait of the princess, making it look like just another piece that was up for auction. I submitted a comment suggesting that they leave a gap on each side of the portrait that's sufficiently (perhaps a yard or so) wide to set it apart. With any luck, they have acted upon that suggestion.

Norm.
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

G'day Norm,

Exactly, I do hope that they have acted on your suggestion, I seem to remember, (and taxing the brain) that there were a few of those boring dolphin sculptures lounging around near the Princess. I remember moving one to another table.

But, from what I have read, we all do agree, on the Royal holding a special place in our hearts.

Mich
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Norm,

Just thinking and have a question for you - I noticed in a previous post that you give a slight edge to the Dawn over the Royal, I was wondering what you think the major difference as I am travelling on the Dawn in July.

You seem really knowledgeable.

Thanks in advance,
Mich