Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Beezercatz

Default The Upgrade Fairy is "alive and well!"

We were booked in an obstructed outside view stateroom on Emerald deck on the Grand Princess for July 20 to the East. Carib. It was a guarantee. When I went to the Princess Website, to look at our booking arrangements a couple of days after making the final payment it said Category; BA and room C638. Having only sailed once before, (to Alaska with an inside cabin) I feel like I've "died and gone to heaven". If you''ve been in a balcony on the Caribe deck, was it wonderful?????? I guess it's the highest category of balcony rooms without having a mini-suite. Is that correct? If so....... somebody pinch me!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Peabodynvl

Default Re: The Upgrade Fairy is "alive and well!"

Yes, Caribe BA balconies are wonderful. They are very large, half open, half covered, so you have the best of both worlds! Congrats on the upgrade.

Pea
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Mike D

Default Re: The Upgrade Fairy is

Have been in that room it's really nice, if the pool deck gets too crowded you can go to your balcony, pull out the bottom part of the chair and drop the back and you get a recliner in the sun on your own patio. Enjoy the cruise BTW once you have a balcony like this you get spoiuled for all the others.
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Admiral

that's great! balconies are the way to go, any kind will do.
Old June 1st, 2003, 09:53 PM
Passenger

We got an upgrade to BF guarantee on Coral princess then when I looked this weekend our romm assignment was a BD category Nice!
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:21 AM
irma

Default Re: Re: The Upgrade Fairy is "alive and well!"

Would you explain the categories?
July 7th will be our first cruise ... on the Sun Princess to Alaska,
We booked through Kim 's Kruises as suggested on this board.
>>>WHAT a find she is!!!!!<<<<She answered my call on a Sunday
afternoon no less. She helpful and thorough. Anyway....
I waned a balcony cabin . She gave us a BD with a possible upgrade.
What does that mean? Can't wait for school to be out so I can pack!!
Thanks in advance,
*`irma~*
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Upgrade or Downgrade??

We are on the Island Princess Aug 9, Vancouver to Seward. We had an AE Guarantee and were just notified by our TA that we were "Upgraded" to AD/C718 that is at the Stern (impressed with the nautical lingo?). Any comments to if this is a good deal or not?

Alaska Bound

Old June 4th, 2003, 09:37 PM
KItty Cruiser

We went last year in room 611on the Caribe deck. IT IS WONDERFUL.!! Extra large balcony. Shade and sun. You are so lucky...We booked again on the September trip to Mexico, on the same deck and same room area. This deck made the trip for me...
Old June 6th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Passenger

Thanks Kitty Cruiser.

I found after calling Princess that I have AB and not AD. I had to phonetically spell it out to get it right.
If anyone has experience with AB on the Coral Princess (supposed to be the same as Island Princess) I sure would like to hear about it. If I would spend as much time researcing the Stock Market as I have my first cruise, I could probly charter my ship own to Alaska. I already feel as though I've been on a couple of cruises just from reading all the boards.

Alaska Bound and Can't wait.

Old June 9th, 2003, 09:47 PM
SF Sharon

Just curious about that AE guarantee. Was it the $ 1,299 "mini suite guarantee" special that has recently been advertised?
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Passenger

SF Sharon,

MY TA booked my AE Guarantee back in late April and yes it was $1299. Was this an OK deal? I wanted to be at sea on the 9th on a fairly new ship for my 20th so I limited my options.

Alaska Bound

Old July 2nd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: The Upgrade Fairy is "alive and well!"

Princess has a convoluted system of categories.Princess has an incredible number of categories and most are based on location but the room size, amenities, etc. remain the same within a room type.
For example when the new Pacific Princess was the R3 there was just one category for minisuites. Now there are three. AA, AB, and AC. When it sails for P&O Australia there is again just one minisuite category.
For balcony staterooms when the Pacific Princess sails as Princess Cruises there are 6 categories. When it sails as P&O there are only three, by deck. Princess changes fees depending upon where on a deck you are located.
Hope this helps.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:00 PM
SF Sharon

Alaska Bound,

The $ 1,299 was a good deal, indeed. I haven't seen any mini-suite category cabins go that low recently for Alaska. The problem for me is that I have not sailed before in a guarantee cabin and there are some locations that would be a problem for me. I really like to know where I'll be on the ship (in general, at least), and Princess's system of categories is just as convoluted as Bluey 1 says. They may put you in an identical cabin next door to the cabin you were in and inform you they have upgraded you a full class. It's ludicrous. Or you could lose a better cabin location on one deck because they decided to move you one deck higher (which to them is an upgrade), never mind that the cabins on the higher deck may likely be considerably further forward or very far aft.

In your case, your upgrade to an AB category is probably terrific. Please come back and tell us all about your cruise on this brand new ship.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:39 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: The Upgrade Fairy is "alive and well!"

Sharon:
I've said this before and I think there's some truth to it, I believe Princess has this convoluted numbers of categories so that most travelers feel they got something for nothing, an upgrade in name only. But to them, they got an upgrade. Everyone feels better when they think they got more than they paid for. Some marketing type probably won an award for this concept. (G)
Frank-in-CA
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:10 PM
SF Sharon

Agreed!