Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Gary Blow

Default Dawn Princess Questions

I will be going on the Dawn in Oct. on a Southern Carribean trip. I went on the Grand last year and liked it and liked the size and the number of things to do and amount of shows etc....I know the Dawn is alot smaller and was wondering from anyone who has been on the Dawn recently how the ship is and also how does it compare in emenities to the Grand? Thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Dawn Princess Questions

Hi Gary,
I've cruised on Golden and before that "Ocean" Princess and I enjoyed Ocean a lot better than Golden. There was still plenty of activities, nice pools, in fact I liked the pool deck a lot better on Ocean too, there wasn't that wall around the pool. I also felt I could navigate the ship in a matter of hours on Ocean while in Golden, it took awhile to figure out how to get to certain spots onboard without running into a dead end.

The cabins were very simular, not too small, but could of been a little roomier on both, plenty of storage space too.

I think you will really enjoy Dawn Princess, still great service, the 24 hour horizon court and the fresh water pools, all good reasons to cruise any Princess ship.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Passenger

Hello:
My husband and I have been on the Dawn 3 times. We are scheduled to go on her again in Feb. What questions do you have?
I think you will like the size compared to the Grand as it is very manageable. I alwaiys felt that there was plenty of public area space and never felt like we were in the middle of a crowd. The only exception to that is during prime time at the Horizon Grill. Due to the lay out of the area it can get a little congested.
Connie
Old June 18th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Passenger

We were on the Dawn in April Hawaii to Tahiti WOW What a great trip. Only 1 complaint in all of the 12 days. No pool activities at all. They did not have music playing by the pool until about 4 pm thought it would be nice to have it on during the heat of the day. But other then that the ship was GREAT. We had a room with a balcony it was the best. The food was all good we ate in the steak house one night for and extra $8 per person but it was well worth it. Everything was perfect if I can help with any other ? please ask. nancy
Old July 30th, 2003, 02:05 PM
saskgirl

Default Re: Re: Dawn Princess Questions

Hi Nancy, We are going on the Dawn to Alaska in 10 days. I just have a few questions.
Is there an iron in our room or on each floor? How much are the drinks in the lounges or at dinner? Alot of people talk about room service - is there an extra charge for room service or is that included? Are there ATM's on the Dawn Princess?
Thanks, Saskgirl
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Dawn Princess Questions

Hi saskgirl. Looks like Nanc has left the room. We have been on the Dawn for a total of 25 days in the last year.

No iron in the rooms--a safety hazard but each cabin deck has a self service laundromat with a washer, dryer, ironing board and iron.
Drinks are in the $4.00 range.
No extra charge for room service but it is customary to tip $1 - $2 each time food is delivered to your cabin.
Can't recall an ATM (took lots of $$$$ with us). Most ships have at least 1 ATM.
Old July 31st, 2003, 01:19 PM
saskgirl

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dawn Princess Questions

Thanks cdnguy - sounds like you have done a lot of cruising - you must like the Dawn!
Any other tips that you can offer a first time cruiser. Thanks
Saskgirl
Old July 31st, 2003, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dawn Princess Questions

Saskgirl we have been on 17 cruises with a transatlantic coming up in Oct. and then on Island Princess next Feb. One of our trips on the Dawn was through the Panama Canal, San Diego - Ft. Lauderdale last Nov. - 15 days.
Gee tips? For a first time cruiser all I can say is just go and enjoy yourself. Yes we really like the Dawn Princess, not too big, not too small. All I can suggest is get to the pier as early as possible so you can have lunch in the Horizon Court then have the rest of the day before leaving port to explore the ship and take pictures when there are not a lot of people around.
An Alaskan cruise is wonderful. I'd go again in a minute, especially on the Dawn. A nature, wildlife cruise. Watch for lots of sea life and many eagles. Weather is definitely not predictable. We went in mid July of '97 and it poured rain 6 of our 7 days so take an umbrella/rain coat/pancho. Despite the rain , we had a terrific time.
One other thing. Become familiar with the deck plans of the Dawn. Go to a TA and ask for a Princess brochure with the Dawn Princess deck plans. Tear it out and take it with you. Tells you everything you need to know about where everything is on the ship.
Hope this helps. Have fun.

Post Edited (07-31-03 16:52)