Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Beginner

Default "Age capacity" on Princess lines

My family and I have never cruised before & were looking forward to our first one this summer. Unfortunately, we had booked on the S/S Norway for July 6th & had our cruise canceled yesterday.

We have been scrambling, like the rest of the displaced Norwary passengers, to find other sailings & were finally able to locate 2 balcony rooms for us and our 2 kids on the Grand Princess, sailing July 13th. Cabins have been *really* hard to find as I suspect there are many Norway customers like ourselves who are desperately trying to pick up whatever is left available during our previously booked vacation days.

Our TA had made the initial reservation for us but had made a mistake on our older child's age. Princess, upon finding out the age of our older child, refused to honor the reservation because they state they have a policy on "capacity control" and our 13 year old was ONE more teenager than they were willing to have on board!!!

We offered to have him *not* participate in any of the teen programs - just let us on the ship, we'll entertain ourselves! But they said, "no, the medical staff (policy?) doesn't allow more than X number of teenagers to be on the ship at a time in case they get sick." They refused to take us on the ship!

We are totally heartbroken about this. We can't understand why they would let us bring our kids on board if they were 19 or 9, but not specifically a teen. If its not his participation in the teen program that's a problem, then how can they say a 13 year old is more likely to get ill than someone who is 73?

Has anyone ever heard of this?

PS: Our TA was infuriated. Asked to speak to a supervisor & was told the same thing. She's never had Princess do this to any of her customers before. We are VERY disappointed in Princess, to say the least.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this policy as it's something I never dreamed could happen... (then again, so was the fire on the Norway! ) !!

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: "Age capacity" on Princess lines

Hi NOra,
Sorry to hear about your problem with first NOrway, then Grand Princess, but yes, Princess does limit the amount of kids on each sailing. You may want to have your travel agent check out some Royal Caribbean ships, especially the "Voyager" class, great for kids and families and they do itinaries all over the Caribbean. There is also Carnival, lots of ships there that cater to families cruising with kids too.

Good luck, hope you find a cruise that will fit your schedule.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Frank

I know this is very disappointing and you are probably suffering from troubles that previous parents caused by not disciplining their teens properly. It seems we all have to suffer because of the misdeeds of a few - you can see that in a number of laws that get passed to regulate what once was considered common sense. If there are too many teens that can't be occupied then they start roaming the ship and getting into trouble ruining other people's vacations. Because of that, I expect Princess tries to keep a tighter handle on that situation. You may want to check a line like Carnival that is much looser with it's requirements.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have read about Princess's age capacity limits. Actually, I think it is a good idea, but I feel sorry for you if it is keeping you from going on the ship of your choice. That is the reason we booked our spring break cruise so far in advance. You might also look at Royal Caribbean. They don't seem to have capacity limits other than the number of berths in a cabin. They also are great for family cruises with lots of activities for everyone.
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Lisa K

Sorry to hear about your cruise troubles, but as the others have stated, Princess has a policy to limit the number of teens on their cruises, unfortunatley a few have spoiled it for the many, so that's why the limit. Have your TA look into Royal Caribbean Voyager class ships.
Old June 11th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Nora,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with a cruise booked aboard SS Norway.

As others have noted, there are very good reasons for limiting the number of children in each age group to what the ship can accommodate comfortably. Princess has learned, from experience, that problems are likely when they exceed those limits, so they don't allow deviation -- even for one child.

That said, the fact that one sailing is full does not mean that others also are full. If you can be somewhat flexible, chances are that you'll find a sailing that will work.

>> If you are constrained as to timing, try another ship. Your teens probably will be just as thrilled going to Alaska, for example, as going to the Caribbean.

>> If you really want to take a Caribbean itinerary, try different dates.

BTW, the first two weeks of July are the most popular time for family vacations, so they also are the times when the ships are most likely to be at capacity.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

Norm.
Old June 12th, 2003, 12:07 PM
sascol

While I feel bad about Nora's delimma, I am happy to see that Princess follows it own policies without exception.

While adding one extra teen may not seem like a big deal, if they allwed it for one family, they'd kind of be forcng themselves to have to do it for others. It's kind of like a cop allowing one person to speed and ticketing all of the other speeders. It's not fair to the others.
Old June 17th, 2003, 09:03 PM
SF Sharon

I am sorry you feel so badly about this situation, but if your teenager is "one too many," that means that the ship already has 200 teenagers booked. That's a very large percentage of the total ship population, in my opinion, especially when added to the other numbers of children allowed onboard.

Their maximum allotment is more than generous, in my opinion:

200 teenagers (up to 17)
225 children aged 3-12
13 infants. toddlers

This is the information that was provided to me June 16th.

I wish you good luck in finding an alternative.
Old June 18th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: "Age capacity" on Princess lines

>Their maximum allotment is more than generous, in my opinion:

200 teenagers (up to 17)
225 children aged 3-12
13 infants. toddlers<

I can't believe that is for all ships, it must be for the larger ones, no? Like the Grand or Star? That would almost fill the new Pacific and Tahitian Princesses. (G) That is a lot even for the Grand class ships IMO.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 20th, 2003, 04:34 PM
SF Sharon

The original poster mentioned the Grand Princess, so those figures are for the Grand, the Golden, and the Star. I called Princess directly and got those figures from a supervisor.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 12:28 AM
SF Sharon

By the way, I agree with you, Frank. I was shocked the numbers were so high, "even for the Grand Class ships", as you said.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 01:21 PM
Frank

>By the way, I agree with you, Frank. I was shocked the numbers were so high, "even for the Grand Class ships", as you said.<

Just think what it might be like if they didn't have limits as the demand seems to be there. It would be like a Carn-evil ship. (G)
Frank-in-CA
Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:26 PM
Cruisindarryl@yahoo.com

I was on Carnival Victory the week before Christmas in 2000 and there were 700 16 and unders on board. I trully do not mind the younger kids (because the only time you see them is when they are being led around the ship by a counselor for a scavenger hunt) but all the teens smoking and cussing along "Neptunes Way" was a deterent. One of the crew told me the week of Christmas they were expecting over 900 kids! I have sailed Princess twice (Southern Carib and Alaska) and was grateful that on the 70,000 ton ships they only alllow 300 kids.

I am sorry that this family had their plans cancelled but if (as suggested) they can get on a RCI ship, it will probably be a better cruise for the kids than on the Norway ( tho' i myself like the 'classic' vessels) the newer would be better for teens (IMHO).

Cruisin D
Old June 23rd, 2003, 07:38 AM
Admiral

I think limiting the number of kids is an absolutely fantastic idea. Nothing could ruin a vacation more then hundreds of kids running around.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:58 PM
sascol

>I think limiting the number of kids is an absolutely fantastic idea. Nothing could ruin a vacation more then hundreds of kids running around<

Except THOUSANDS of kids running around!
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:16 PM
SF Sharon

> I trully do not mind the younger kids (because the only time you see them is when they are being led around the ship by a counselor for a scavenger hunt

It was a group of unsupervised younger kids who hogged the tepid jacuzzi on the Star Princess coastal cruise. There were about 8 of them in there at once, and they were in there so long I didn't need to hear one of them gleefully exclaim "ooooh....I just PEED!" to know that that was likely to hapen.

The jacuzzis need to be much hotter, and the staff on deck needs to keep children from getting into the jacuzzis, period. Hotter tubs would keep most people, regardless of age, from staying in the tubs so long that others can't get in at all.

And don't get me started on deck chair hogs......grrrrrrr....