Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Beginner

Default Golden Princess - Trans-atlantic 09/14/03

I'm planning to sail on the Golden Princess on 14th sept. from Southampton to New York. Although I've cruised a number of time before, this is my first trans-atlantic crossing. Could anyone please advise me as to what kind of weather I might expect ? I usually take an inside cabin, but thought if the weather was good, I'd book a balcony. Any advice ? Thanks...Siobhan.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2003, 06:39 AM
uncmarts

Default Re: Golden Princess - Trans-atlantic 09/14/03

There is never any guarantee as far as the weather goes, however a balcony cabin is well worth the extra dollars. It makes the room feel bigger, brings in the light and if the weather is good, there's nothing like sitting out on that balcony relaxing with a book or possible a drink. Definetly a good investment.
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:01 AM
SF Sharon

While a balcony cabin is nice in warm weather, especially in port, or in Alaska if you want quick access to the outside for viewing, it can be very windy on your balcony under sail.
That's what my husband and I noticed when we did a coastal sail in May. Most of the balconies were empty most of the time.

The thing about a transatlantic sailing is that one is always under sail. I might choose a lower-priced cabin and then go topside to a wind-protected upper deck when I want to be outside. Balcony cabins tend to be located on upper decks, and the lower decks are the ones where you will experience less movement should the seas be rough.
Old June 20th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Golden Princess - Trans-atlantic 09/14/03

I like the idea of relaxing on a balcony, especially with a light refreshement, but not if the wind's so strong I'm blown away !
Old July 2nd, 2003, 02:49 PM
Lou DiFinizio

Check out the postings fron last years Golden Transatlantic crossing. I recall that the crossing was a bit rough and got into NY late. The North Atlantic is not like the bathwater of the Caribbean or the Mediterranean.

There were many notes on the Cruise Critics Web site.

Lou,
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:39 AM
StuFalk

I'm also sailing on the Golden's September 14 transatlantic. While I now live in Fort Lauderdale, having lived in Europe for some 12 years, I've taken many transatlantic crossings - both northern and southern. Yes, the weather is uncertain and, though September is still hurricane season, I have found it usually to be no more than moderately choppy as compared to the predictable winter storms of November and December.
I chose a balcony, single occupancy cabin for this sailing not so much for using the balcony as I did not like the location of those outside cabins without balconies - lowest decks, not in center of the vessel.