Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:01 PM
linda g

Default Princess cruise to Hawaii

We are considering taking the Island Princess to Hawaii that departs from Los Angeles
on December 5th 2004. I would like to know what anybody liked or disliked about Princess Lines cruises to Hawaii. They are the only cruise line that starts in Los Angeles and returns to Los Angeles so it is very convenient to use our airmiles. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Princess cruise to Hawaii

Wow , that's a whole lot of sea days to spend 5 days in Hawaii. Why not just use your
miles to fly to Hawaii?
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:46 PM
linda g

Dear Papa Bill,
The reason why we want to cruise to Hawaii is because it goes to several of the islands in Hawaii, rather than being only on one island. We had considered using one of our timeshare weeks there but we would have burned up too many of our airmiles just flying back and forth to Hawaii. My husband Rob and I figured that we will use the days at sea to relax, read about the culture of Hawaii, and hopefully engage in conversation with the other passangers on the ship! Thanks so much for your input!
Old July 11th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Princess cruise to Hawaii

Linda:
We look for long cruises with a lot of sea days as we enjoy those more than the port days. We'll be traveling those 5 sea days to Hawaii in September but then we'll continue on with more sea days until we reach our final destination in Papeete, Tahiti.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:52 PM
linda g

Frank,
When you go to Tahiti, Moara, Huanie and Bora Bora, you will be riding on a ship that was taken over by Princess Cruise Lines. We went to the South Pacific with a bunch of friends and absolutely loved it!
I'm with you as far as enjoying days at sea. You can be as active and inactive as you care to. I do like the fact that Princess will be spending a day, on the way back to California, in Ensenada, Mexico. I do like to take advantage of buying silver jewelry and bargaining is half the fun of it!
Enjoy your cruise and pick up a few Tahitian pearls while you are there.
Linda in Virginia
Old July 12th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Linda,

I too like sea days but there are some things that I don't like about this itinerary. The biggest of which is that you have very little time on each of the islands with the exception of Oahu. For instance on Maui the ship is scheduled to arrive at 8a and depart at 5p- that does not leave you a whole lot of time to really see the island considering that in Lahaina you have to tender.

The other thing to consider is that December is the rainy season in Hawaii. The chances of rain are excellent especially for Kauai and Hilo. I love Hawaii and gladly go there and time of year but think I'd choose an itinerary that would give me more time...the Celebrity ships do 2 days in Lahaina and a longer time is port at all ports.

Sounds like you'll enjoy no matter what!
Old July 12th, 2003, 10:43 PM
linda g

Petoonya,
I do like Celebrity Cruise Lines; we went on our first cruise with them last year because they ported out of Baltimore. This September, we are booked on the Infinity, bound for Alaska, on September 12th. The reason we are not going to use Celebrity for Hawaii is because Princess departs from Los Angeles and comes back to Los Angeles; this way, we can get the biggest bang for our airmiles.
I was glad that you told me about December being a month with a lot of rain in Hawaii. We'll just have to take our chances. The only other line that starts in California (San Diego) and comes back to San Diego is Holland America. We felt that Princess would suite our tastes much better for a cruise than Holland America. Incidentally, two lines that I would never book with would be Carnival or Norwegian. It is a shame that Celebrity starts in one city and finishes in another city on their Hawaiian cruises!
Old July 12th, 2003, 11:15 PM
No Fly Lady

Hi: We've been on both the Holland America and Princess trips to Hawaii. Both were great. We did January and March, no weather problems either time. There are different things to like about each line and if you match your preferences to the ship, you'll be fine.

Royal Olympia cruise line also does a round trip from Los Angeles (and a couple trips from San Francisco and San Diego. Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Carribean also do Ensenada to Hawaii and reverse -- you could almost put two together for the price of one round trip on Holland America. You would fly into Los Angeles and then the cruise line would transfer you to Ensenada to embark. Next year, Holland America is also doing a circle Hawaii round trip from Seattle.

Hope this helps!
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Frank

>The reason we are not going to use Celebrity for Hawaii is because Princess departs from Los Angeles and comes back to Los Angeles; this way, we can get the biggest bang for our airmiles.<

Have you checked and found out that they won't book FF flights with different start and end airports? We recently obtained FF tickets for our flight to Auckland, NZ with the return from Sydney, AUS and mentioned it was for a cruise.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 13th, 2003, 08:47 PM
linda g

Frank,
Kudos to you in making those airmiles count! I can live with those extra days at sea knowing that I can plan another cruise based on extra airmiles. It's for that reason we are flying into Seattle, rather than to Vancouver for our cruise to Alaska. We take the bus from the airport in Seattle, get to see some great scenery from Seattle to Vancouver, and arrive in our hotel, The Fairmont Waterfront, located at Canada Place!
Old July 14th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Linda,

I do like the fact that Princess will be spending a day, on the way back to California, in Ensenada, Mexico.

I think you need to check the port timse again. IIRC, the stop in Ensenada is for just an hour -- a "service call" with no passenger disembarkation -- and it's only there to meet the legal requirements of the Jones Act.

Norm.
Old July 14th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Frank

Linda:
We really made those air miles count - we got business class seats. (G) Those are long flights to Auckland and back from Sydney. We have 3 changes of planes going as we have to fly from SFO to LAX, then to Sydney and then Auckland. Coming back is easier. Both are onerous and easier in business class.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 14th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess cruise to Hawaii

Frank,

Have you checked and found out that they won't book FF flights with different start and end airports? We recently obtained FF tickets for our flight to Auckland, NZ with the return from Sydney, AUS and mentioned it was for a cruise.

Yes, it's legal to do that -- the airlines call it an "open jaw" itinerary -- but the caveat is that the "open jaw" must be fewer air miles than each of the segments that you actually fly. For most people who reside in the "lower forty-eight," an itinerary to Los Angeles that returns from Honolulu or vice versa would not be a legal "open jaw" because the segment between Honolulu and Los Angeles is longer than the segment between Los Angeles and one's home.

There are two ways to get around this restriction.

>> 1. Claim two award tickets -- either a round trip between one's home and Los Angeles and a "one way" ticket between Los Angeles and Honolulu or two "one way" tickets (between one's home and Honolulu and between one's home and Los Angeles). The caveat is that this costs a lot more miles, espeicailly when one adds in the mileage preimum for tickets to or from Hawaii.

>> 2. Claim a "round trip" award ticket between one's home and Los Angeles, for the normal mileage, and buy a "one way" ticket between Honolulu and Los Angeles to get to or from the cruise. The "one way" fares on this route often are surprisingly reasonable, so there's no point in squandering one's frequent flier miles -- especially with the mileage premium for tickets to or from Hawaii!

Norm.
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:33 PM
linda g

Frank,
I can't wait until my husband, Rob retires; then we will have the time to cruise down under to Australia and New Zealand. There is so much of this world that most of us would like to see but just don't have the time.
I am sorry that we didn't get a credit card with airmiles much sooner; I think of all the possible vacations we could have gone on! Our credit card has no black out dates and it is amazing how those airmiles accumulate.
Enjoy your cruise and try to learn as much as you can about the people, culture and traditions of Australia and New Zealand!
Always,
Linda G.
Old July 15th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Frank

Linda:
We charge everything we can on our FF credit card and we pay it off each month too. You are correct, it can build up fast. I charge groceries, medical co-pays, utilities, etc. If they take it, I charge it unless there is a convenience fee for doing so.

There is a problem in getting some FF seats - you really have to get them as soon as they come available. We booked our outgoing seats and had to wait another month before we could book the return flights for NZ-AUS. If we would have waited, I doubt business class seats would be available. Same with FF seats to Hawaii.
Frank
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:24 AM
linda g

Frank,
We have a credit card through U.S.A.A. which is for active or retired duty military families. It is so worth the yearly fee that we pay for it! There are no black out dates, an we, like you, pay our bills on time. We have decided to stay in this house and just charge things to fix it up so not only will we be getting more airmiles we are living below our means so we can afford to travel. I would rather travel than become house poor. It's all a matter on one's priorities!
With credit cards, shop around and see which ones give the best bang for your buck. We tend to use just one credit so the miles can add up.
Linda G.