Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2003, 08:06 PM
KathyandMike

Default Paraplegics/Quadraplegics

We will be sailing on the Grand Princess on October 19th with a friend who is basically a quadraplegic. Does anyone know if there are hoyer lifts available on board? What about a lift into the swimming pool? Any information regarding handicapped accessibility would be very helpful. Thanks.
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Paraplegics/Quadraplegics

You will need to bring his own hoyer lift or arrange one for one to be delivered. Please contact the special needs department at Princess - they bend over backwards to help as much as possible. There is a thread on the Princess board at Cruise Critic about how accomodating Princess was helping a family in a very much similar circumstance as yours.

I am sorry, but on the Princess ships I have been on I have NOT seen a lift into one of the pools....the pools are relatively small compared to those on land and it just might take up too much space, but this is a question you should ask Princess. Also ask them about the procedure for tender ports......but if the Captain of the vessel deems it too dangerous to try and board a wheelchair bound individual onto a tender, his word is law, as the crew who would be performing the transfer would be put at greater risk than normal trying to accompolish that task (not to mention the person in the wheelchair.)

Old July 11th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Kathy,

We will be sailing on the Grand Princess on October 19th with a friend who is basically a quadraplegic. Does anyone know if there are hoyer lifts available on board? What about a lift into the swimming pool? Any information regarding handicapped accessibility would be very helpful. Thanks.

There's no problem at all getting around the passenger spaces in a wheelchair on Princess's newer ships, incluidng MV Grand Princess, and plenty of ADA handicapped cabins as well. The passageways generally are pretty wide and the standard lifts are readily accessible for going between decks. I'm not aware of any swimming pool lifts.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "hoyer" lift, but you could call Princess Cruises at 1-800-PRINCES(s) to inquire.

As Lisa noted, the Captain's word is law when it comes to wheelchair-bound passengers going ashore in tender ports. The captain has to evaluate the whole situation -- weather, sea conditions, etc. -- and its implications for the safety of both the passenger and the crew who would assist in the transfer.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Alaska Bound

KathyandMike,

I saw this in an article from the Vancouver Sun on the christening of the Island Princess.

"They just seem to get better and better with decor," said Baker, who admired the ship's wide walkways in the public areas, the multiple restaurants, lounges, children's activities and lift to help passengers in wheelchairs get in and out of the main pool.

Hope this helps.

Alaska Bound
Island Pincess Aug 9th.
Old July 13th, 2003, 06:23 PM
No Fly Lady

There are a couple of excellent web sites with specifics on "accessible" or "disability" cruising. You might want to check them out for advice.
Old July 18th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Passenger

I'm not sure what a Hoyer lift is, but there were lifts into the pool when we were on the Golden in 1/02. We were on Grand in 4/03 and I have to say I didn't notice a lift into the pool. On the other hand, I would think because they're sister ships they would basically have the same things. Here's hoping for you & your friend.
Old July 20th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Noticed a lift in one of the pools on the Star Princess this summer.