Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Kayla Nation

Default ALASKAN CRUISE WITH PRINCESS IS THERE ANYTHING FOR KIDS

We are considering taking an Alaskan cruise with Princess along with a group of friends. Will there be much for them to do? How many other kids? We just returned from a western Carribean cruise on the Explorer of the Seas with RCCL on Saturday. Which shop in Princesses fleet would be the best for kids?

THANKS
Kayla
Explorer July 5-12
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Frank

Default Re: ALASKAN CRUISE WITH PRINCESS IS THERE ANYTHING FOR

Princess has a wonderful program for kids on their ships. We've been with our grandkids on both the Dawn and Regal Princesses. The only time we saw the grandkids was at meal time and they couldn't wait to finish eating and get back to the Kid's Zone. They still ocassionally wear the tee shirts they colored on the last cruise.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 16th, 2003, 11:10 AM
David Starkey

RCL kids program beats Princess by a mile....
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Kayla,

We are considering taking an Alaskan cruise with Princess along with a group of friends. Will there be much for them to do? How many other kids? We just returned from a western Carribean cruise on the Explorer of the Seas with RCCL on Saturday. Which shop in Princesses fleet would be the best for kids?

All of Princess's ships in Alaska have dedicated children's and teen's centers, staffed by professional youth counsellors, which serve as the headquarters for their programs. Most of the ports of call also have fantastic excursions for children -- most of whom will be thrilled by the Indigenous American cultural centers around Ketchikan, activities such as panning for gold around Juneay, and a ride on the White Pass and Yukon Route railroad (marvelous scenery and history!) from Skagway. If the children are of school age, the Days of '98 Revue starring Soapy Smith at Skagway, included in Princess's Historial Skagway tour IIRC, also is an excellent take.

You will find plenty of children on any cruise between Memorial Day and Labor Day because that's when most school districts have their summer vacation.

As far as itineraries, the "Gulf of Alaska" ("Voyage of the Glaciers") cruise between Vancouver and either Seward this year or Whittier next year would be an excellent choice. When the ship goes to Glacier Bay National Park, the park rangers who come aboard for the visit also run special programs for children, who are always thrilled by the many varieties of wildlife there. The glaciers in College Fjord are even more impressive.

The "Grandview Rail Transfer" between either Seward or Whittier and Anchorage, operated by the Alaska Railroad, also would be a better option than the "motorcoach" transfer because the children would have tables to color or to play games at their seats, some room to roam (accompanied by an adult, of course), and reasonable snack service. The scenery along the railroad also is quite spectacular, as you might surmise from the name of the transfer package.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:22 AM
Passenger

Have already replied to your CC thread so will just add this here....
* The weather is cooler so my opinion is go on a ship that allows kids in the covered pool areas (the Sun/Coral Princess does not have a covered pool area for kids). Mid season is best for warmer weather too.
* Don't pay any attention to people who tell you 'it's not a cruise for kids' or similar to this.
* There are lots of very expensive and also inexpensive excursions in all ports, just do some research and get your kids involved in it so they know what to expect etc.
* Ditto above 'Voyage of the Glaciers'.... best itinerary. Glacier Bay is awesome.
* Check the itinerary of all cruise lines and their kids clubs and find the one that suits you and your family best. (Everyone is going to have +ve and -ve things to say about all of them anyway.)

The more research you do the better the overall experience.

Cheers,
Kim
Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: ALASKAN CRUISE WITH PRINCESS IS THERE ANYTHING

Aussie Cruiser,

Overall, excellent advice!

(the Sun/Coral Princess does not have a covered pool area for kids).

It appears that you have the ships confused here.

>> MV Sun Princess and MV Dawn Princess don't have a covered pool area for anybody, as both main pools are open above.

>> MV Coral Princess and MV Island Princess have one open main pool and one main pool under a retractable dome. AFAIK, the only restriction on children using either main pool is that they are supposed to be accompanied and supervised by a parent or another responsible adult while doing so.

Norm.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:49 AM
Passenger

We went did the Alaska cruise w/ RCCL 8/00. My kids were 4 & 6 at the time. It was amazing. RCCL is the best. I never saw my kids only on port days. I had to bribe them on formal night to eat w/ us & take pictures. We did an excursion in each port since we had never been there. In Skagway we did the Yuctan Express train amazing a must do. I know we did on one of the ports the one that takes you to the Goldmine in Lairsville. I know in 2 of the ports we did boat tours that took us to sea whales/sea lions/glaciers/ etc.. Then I think in Ketchikan we just did the tour of the Totem poles & a historic park & musuem. They were all good tours in our opinion. The kids still brag about that cruise. We did not do any helicopter tours they are to expensive for a family of 4 and also I was afraid something could happen to my kids.
Take advantage of this cruise if you can it is memorable.