Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Nick

Default Room location

I have received my stateroom location. It is on the Caribe deck #501 (category BA). Does any know if this is location will provide a smooth ride. My wife is prone to sea sickness. Also, I have a chance to upgrade to a mini suite for $53.00 PP. Any thoghts about where these suite are located and is it worth the $$$. Thanks in advance.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Room location

We were in Baja 515 on the Sun Princess which should be very close, just up one deck. It was very smoothe.
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Frank

The newer ships are very stable. My wife is very prone to motion sickness in a car or on a ship. In our earlier sailings, decades ago, she had problems and used both pills and the patch. In the past 5 or so years, with the larger ships and better stabilizers, she has no such problems. To reassure yourselves, when at sea, take a look at your water glass at meal time and note that it is just as smooth as when in port.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Admiral

You don't say what ship you will be sailing on. However, do you have Princess's brochure? If not, get it from AAA (no, you don't have to be a member) or your TA or go to Princess's site and request it. Helps immensely in seeing exactly where cabins are located. Also, you can go to CruiseStateroom.com

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Nick, which ship are you sailing on?. We have sailed on Princess before, and i really like the cabins on the Caribe deck. Very stable. Does your current stateroom have a balcony? If not then i would go for the upgrade to a mini-suite w/balcony. You will get a lot more room, bigger balcony, bigger bathroom, more closet space and a really nice bed. I think that Balconies are great for people with motion sickness, you can go outside anytime to get a breath of fresh air and look around. I really like having my morning coffee or tea out on the balcony while watching the ship come into port.
Old July 28th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Nick

Default Re: Re: Room location

Sorry, I forgot the ship. It's the Grand
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Julie Stacey

Hi, We have just returned from Med cruise on Golden Princess and stayed on Caribe Deck. Smooth as silk!

Enjoy your cruise
Old July 29th, 2003, 05:37 PM
id

IMO, you have the best location on the ship!
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Myrna & George Kozlow

Dear Nick: A rule of thumb when picking a room on board these ships, despite their large size, is get one that's midship, both up and down and from end to end. We sailed on the Carnival Tropical a few years back which is a smaller ship to fit thru the Panama Canal. Well, being inexperienced sailors we were very excited when we discovered we had been upgraded two decks. Unfortunately, the room was near the bow (front) of the ship and coming across the Caribbean Sea after the canal, our room was bouncing up and down with the waves with accompanying "booming" sound. My husband being ex Coast Guard had no problem with it, but in order to sleep I had to take dramamine and I stayed in the midship area during the day. An experienced sailor/guest who sat at our dinner table on the Tropical, told us to pick the room in the midship area from the ship's diagram and then ask for that room when you booked the room. It's the best riding area in the ship if it gets rough, but honestly even in rough seas, most of the Princess ships are very large and you hardly feel anything. In fact, the best ride we ever had was when we had a room on the lowest guest level midship. We've heard people who have booked large expensive rooms in the upper decks complain about feeling the wind and vibration - one couple even left one ship at the first port b/c their upper level room (and very expensive) was so bad. Carnival used to give out free dramamine tablets, but not sure they do that anymore so I would bring something (dramamine; wrist bands - some people swear by them; bonine, etc) just in case. Enjoy.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Sascol

While being close to the middle of the ship does have some impact on how much movement you feel, the difference between the middle of the ship and other locations of the ship is relatively minor (at least in my experience, which is 7 cruises).

I'm not trying to scare you off of the boat, so to speak, but I don't want you to get the impression that if you're in the middle you won't feel anything in rough seas. Newer ships handle rough seas better than the older ones do but if the water is rough, you're going to feel movement, period.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Admiral

A mini-suite for $55 more per person, DO IT!