Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Passenger

Default Grand Cayman Excursion

On the Grand Princess, there is an excursion in Grand Cayman that is 4 1/2 hours and goes to Seven Mile Beach, Hell, Turtle Farm AND the stingray sandbar snorkeling. It is like $56 per person, yet there is a 3 1/2 hour tour for $72 per person to the sandbar only. Makes no sense since you get so much more on the first tour. But I am confused. How can it possibly go to all those places in 4 1/2 hours for such a good a price? Has anyone done this combo tour? How long are you at each place? Do you get enought time with the stingrays? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2003, 02:25 PM
CrusinQueen

Default Re: Grand Cayman Excursion

Took this shore excursion with Princess about 8 years ago. First was island tour & stop in Hell. Then on the boat to StingrayCity sandbar. After snorkeling, we were just dropped off at the beach and given tickets to use for a taxi when we were ready to return.If you've never been to Grand Cayman before its a good tour to start with.
Old August 28th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Grand Cayman Excursion

Did you go to the turtle farm as well? Did you have enough time with the sandbar? Thanks.
Old August 29th, 2003, 06:03 AM
hma109

I did that tour. We went to the turtle farm first and spent a good amount of time there. We went to hell for maybe 15-30. Plenty of time for that, probably too much. Then we went snorkeling at stingray city. I enjoyed that very much. I'm not an animal person i.e. I won't even pet a cat or dog, but I held a turtle and stingray for the first time.
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Passenger

So then you do get enough time with the turtles and stingrays (I am a huge animal fan and was worried maybe I should just do the full stingray tour instead, but I love turtles as well. I own two aquatic turtles). I guess you would recommend this tour then? That's great. Thanks,.
Old August 29th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Grand Cayman Excursion

If you are truly a "turtle Fan" you may want to skip the turtle farm. This is not an animal rescue place or a save the environment place, it is a commercial turtle farm. Only a very small percentage of turtles are raised for release in the wild, the balance are raised for the meat.
Old August 29th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Grand Cayman Excursion

See, now that makes me sad. I may need to rethink this. Thanks.
Old August 30th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Admiral

Yes, most turtles in Cayman are raised for consumption. There is a cafe there that freaks out visitors seeing turtle burgers and soups for sale. Only a very small percentage are released.
Old August 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Passenger

You don't actually see how they kill them though, right? Yes, I cannot eat anything turtle. It reminds me of my two baby turtles at home.