Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Default Regal Princess

Has it been determined what caused that nasty virus on the Regal Princess that
arrived in New York city this morning and how long the ship will be out of service,
it must have been chaotic on that ship to say the least with all those sick
people.
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2003, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Regal Princess

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/09/02...ise/index.html

My favorite part:
"Nielsen said the ship is expected to depart New York as scheduled on Thursday. He said passengers were given credit for the one day of the cruise they missed. "

Because,you know,if I had saved years for a cruise,that would be enough for me ~~not.

I think that this is going to keep being an ongoing problem,the cruise industry needs to seriously look at this issue!
Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Regal Princess

I heard that they feel a passanger may have boarded the cruise with the illness and did not realize they had it. Since it is highly contagious, it spread. The cruise ended one day short which is why they received a one day refund and a $300 onboard credit as well. I guess they would need to use that on the next cruise since they had to get off the ship. I would want a free cruise!!!
Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Regal Princess

I understand that by the time it docked there were only two people still sick.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 2nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I was on the Amsterdam in November, just before it was taken out of service for 2 cruises due to the Norwalk Type Virus. About 140 people reportedly got sick. I did not get sick, but did witness some peculiar and greedy behavior among other passengers.

I think the cruise lines do their absolute best to be fair in these circumstances - case in point: if you THOUGHT you got sick on an airplane, would you demand a free ticket? If you went to Disney World and got dizzy from a ride, would you demand your money back and free admission the next time? When someone at work comes in with a cold and you get a cold the next day, do you demand extra money from the company?

I personally spoke to people on the Amsterdam who were demanding some sort of compensation for WORRYING about getting sick! I also met a couple who "scammed" the cruise line as follows: the woman faked sickness, they left the ship in St. Thomas (second last day of a 10 day cruise), missed only a sea day, had easy airport access (2 people flying out of St. Thomas is a lot easier than an entire shipload converging at Lauderdale airport). Cruise line paid for airline changes, they got a refund on that cruise and 1/2 off the next cruise, it went on and on. I was disgusted and they were proud! The cruise line did not CAUSE the illness, humanity did! Humanity arriving from all continents, all walks of life, some who were already sick, etc. I don't feel the cruise line should be responsible for something that could happen in an office, a school, a hospital, a church, any place that people meet.

It is unfortunate that anyone should be ill on vacation, but life isn't always fair and it's easy to place blame. The cruise lines want this solved and controlled more than anyone so I'd give them a little slack and trust they are doing their level best to find solutions and please passengers. Remember, crewmembers get sick too, and they go to bed, recover and get back to work.

This is life, folks!
Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Admiral

i heard on the news that they believe that a passenger brought the virus on board in Denmark. I think that Princess is being more than generous giving all passengers 1 days credit for 1 port missed and $300 shipboard credit to their account. The news crew interviewed one woman (who didn't get sick by the way) who was basically demanding a free cruise because her cruise was ruined because the ship missed the one port she really wanted to see, sheesh give me a break.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Sooshie

Belgique,
I couldn't have said it better myself! Why do people think everyone "owes" them something? Let's see...my daughter gets strep throat from some child in school whose parent feels that keeping the child home would inconvenience them too much...does the school owe me money or should I just go after the parents of the child for compensation? This could go on forever! Face it guys you can get sick anywhere and you won't get compensated nor should you unless it's food poisoning or it was "caused" by the cruiseline.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM
Passenger

If you get sick at work, you go home and get paid for a sick day. What about the chip that had just finsihed its cruise, docked in Miami and there was an explosion that morning in the laundry room or something. Happened not to long ago. Even though that cruise was completely finished, they all got a free cruise. I guess maybe this is because it was an accident that involved the ship directly. The sickness did not involve the cruise. I just don't understand the $300 shipboard credit when the cruise is over. That is almost like saying, now you have to spend more money to go on another cruise with us just to even get this credit.. I understand what you are all saying and it does make sense. But who is to say how this disease really got on this ship?
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Admiral

the way i understand it is that the "germ" is carried by humans, ie someone who was carrying the germ (and hopefully didn't know it) brought it aboard, i believe it is airborne, so contact with lots of people in a closed environment is how it spread. Correct me if i am wrong. I truly hope that passenger X was not experiencing any symptoms when he/she boarded the Regal. I would be very, very upset to find out that passenger X was experiencing symptons and didn't have the common sense to confine themselves to their cabin and not interact with other passengers until the symptoms passed.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
Admiral

I have done the itinerary that the Regal was doing, and I can understand someone being upset at missing one of the ports, which I believe was Greenland. On our sailing on the Crown Princess, there were sisters who had done the itinerary 3 times, first two they had missed Greenland. They vowed that they would keep doing it until they got to Greenland, which we did on our sailing.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 01:28 PM
David Starkey

The Regal has had quite a history of norwalk virus striking this vessel repeatedly for over 5 years.(this is much more than coinsidence, its happening again and again on this particular ship). I was a victum in Alaska 4 years ago and the ship never should have been allowed to sail from Vancouver because of 100 crew members were sick before the cruise left. The ship made big news back then because the Canadian gov't had to quarantine the vessel. Princess was terrible to work with and I have not sailed them since. I was sick for 4 day's not the 2 the press is making lite of. The cabin staff was truly outstanding(given the number of passengers and staff sick) but guest relations and the home office in Calif could have cared less.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
Frank

I agree with all of the comparisons to getting sick on a plane, Disney World, work, etc. I think the cruise line is being very generous too. But, having said this, what if it was a crew member that was infected and brought the virus aboard? There's no way to know, but it does mitigate the situation a little if that could be proved.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

This discussion could go on forever.....what if it was a crewmember who got the virus from a previous passenger who got it from a previous crewmember who got it from a previous passenger, ad nauseum.

How can someone tell which mosquito gave them the West Nile Virus? And what is that mosquito going to do about it?
Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:59 PM
Admiral

What about the chip that had just finsihed its cruise, docked in Miami and there was an explosion that morning in the laundry room or something. Happened not to long ago. Even though that cruise was completely finished, they all got a free cruise.

It happened May 25 about 7:30 AM in Miami on the Norway and a boiler blew up killing 8 crewmen. (I was on the Voyager that berthed right next to her.) And, NCL did NOT give a free cruise to the passengers. I believe all they gave them was a $50 credit onboard.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Passenger

Really? NCL did not give a free cruise? So why did the press say they did? And someone brought up a great point which I did not know. They said the Regal Princess has had this problem numerous times in the past. If that was the case, I would be very upset and concerned that maybe they have not properly cared for the cleanliness of this ship to keep causing the virus to come back. Not that I know much about this virus or how it is spread or anything.
Old September 4th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Frank

>This discussion could go on forever.....what if it was a crewmember who got the virus from a previous passenger who got it from a previous crewmember who got it from a previous passenger, ad nauseum.<

I agree. I hope we never run into this on a cruise but if we do, we'll just have to make the best of it. I agree that if the line makes a genuine attempt to keep good hygene, there's nothing to hold against them.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 5th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Belle

We just got off the Regal, we were effected by the virus. I do think that Princess did everything that they could to contain the outbreak. We were kept informed by getting updates. I feel that Princess was very generous in giving us $300 per person on our shipboard account., plus the cost of the additional day and port charges. Belle
Old September 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM
First Mate

HI: I was glad to see your message. There are 16 of us going on the Regal on Sept. 14th. We catch it in Montreal. One of our group is about 82 yrs. old and we are a little worried about her. She is in good health.
I have checked the Centers for Disease Control site and can't find that the Regal has had this virus before, but in the above chats, there is reference to it being infected several times before, do you know anything about that?
Do you have any suggestions for us, I'd appreciate your input.
Marilyn
Old September 6th, 2003, 05:01 PM
First Mate

HI: I was glad to see your message. There are 16 of us going on the Regal on Sept. 14th. We catch it in Montreal. One of our group is about 82 yrs. old and we are a little worried about her. She is in good health.
I have checked the Centers for Disease Control site and can't find that the Regal has had this virus before, but in the above chats, there is reference to it being infected several times before, do you know anything about that?
Do you have any suggestions for us, I'd appreciate your input.
Marilyn
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Belle

Hi Marilyn,

I would suggest to you to bring some hand-wipes, or "Purell." Wash and rewash your hands, especially when you eat something, like a hamburger that you are holding in your hand. Belle
Old September 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Regal Princess

I found this info about the Norwalk Virus on the CDC website. Thought maybe it might help.........

Norovirus: Q&A
Viral Gastroenteritis > Norovirus > Q&A

Download PDF version formatted for print (16 KB/3 pages)

What are noroviruses?

Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause the “stomach flu,” or gastroenteritis (GAS-tro-en-ter-I-tis), in people. The term norovirus was recently approved as the official name for this group of viruses. Several other names have been used for noroviruses, including:

Norwalk-like viruses (NLVs)
caliciviruses (because they belong to the virus family Caliciviridae)
small round structured viruses.
Viruses are very different from bacteria and parasites, some of which can cause illnesses similar to norvirus infection. Viruses are much smaller, are not affected by treatment with antibiotics, and cannot grow outside of a person’s body.

What are the symptoms of illness caused by noroviruses?

The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people additionally have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. The illness is usually brief, with symptoms lasting only about 1 or 2 days. In general, children experience more vomiting than adults. Most people with norovirus illness have both of these symptoms.

What is the name of the illness caused by noroviruses?

Illness caused by norovirus infection has several names, including:

stomach flu – this “stomach flu” is not related to the flu (or influenza), which is a respiratory illness caused by influenza virus.
viral gastroenteritis – the most common name for illness caused by norovirus. Gastroenteritis refers to an inflammation of the stomach and intestines.
acute gastroenteritis
non-bacterial gastroenteritis
food poisoning (although there are other causes of food poisoning)
calicivirus infection
How serious is norovirus disease?

Norovirus disease is usually not serious, although people may feel very sick and vomit many times a day. Most people get better within 1 or 2 days, and they have no long-term health effects related to their illness. However, sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace the liquids they lost because of vomiting and diarrhea. These persons can become dehydrated and may need special medical attention. This problem with dehydration is usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems. There is no evidence to suggest that an infected person can become a long-term carrier of norovirus.

How do people become infected with noroviruses?

Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:

eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;
touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;
having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).
Persons working in day-care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illness. This virus is very contagious and can spread rapidly throughout such environments.

When do symptoms appear?

Symptoms of norovirus illness usually begin about 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but they can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

Are noroviruses contagious?

Noroviruses are very contagious and can spread easily from person to person. Both stool and vomit are infectious. Particular care should be taken with young children in diapers who may have diarrhea.How long are people contagious?

People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness.

Who gets norovirus infection?

Anyone can become infected with these viruses. There are many different strains of norovirus, which makes it difficult for a person’s body to develop long-lasting immunity. Therefore, norovirus illness can recur throughout a person’s lifetime. In addition, because of differences in genetic factors, some people are more likely to become infected and develop more severe illness than others.

What treatment is available for people with norovirus infection?

Currently, there is no antiviral medication that works against norovirus and there is no vaccine to prevent infection. Norovirus infection cannot be treated with antibiotics. This is because antibiotics work to fight bacteria and not viruses.

Norovirus illness is usually brief in healthy individuals. When people are ill with vomiting and diarrhea, they should drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Dehydration among young children, the elderly, the sick, can be common, and it is the most serious health effect that can result from norovirus infection. By drinking oral rehydration fluids (ORF), juice, or water, people can reduce their chance of becoming dehydrated. Sports drinks do not replace the nutrients and minerals lost during this illness.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?

Yes. You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.
Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.
Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.
Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).
Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean.
Persons who are infected with norovirus should not prepare food while they have symptoms and for 3 days after they recover from their illness (see food handler information sheet). Food that may have been contaminated by an ill person should be disposed of properly.

ht help.
Old September 7th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Norovirus is just that - a virus. Antibacterial hand sanitizers and other stuff like that will NOT help in the prevention of Norovirus. The best defense is to wash your hands frequently. Try not to touch common things like door knobs, hand rails, salt and pepper shakers, etc. If you do, wash your hands! Practice good hygiene and your chances of getting it are reduced.