Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Passenger

Default Royal Princess, Good, Bad, Old, Classic? Your Thoughts

Looking at the Royal for a 2004 cruise out of Southampton. Would appreciate comments.

My immediate thought was that she is 20 years old. I don't want to spend 12 days on an old ship. But after some brief researching, it appears she may still be a pretty nice ship, well worth the money, The Princess sales people say so, but I would like to hear from the people who really know and who's opinions I have come to trust.

I would appreciate your comments and feelings about the Royal.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Royal Princess, Good, Bad, Old, Classic? Your Thoughts

It has been several years since I have been on the Royal Princess, but there is no way I'd ever hesitate to cruise on her. She has a very loyal clientele and was the 'forefunner' for many of the newer ships designs.

She has a great layout, with outside views from every public room except the conference room/theater. Yes, she is old, so there is no way you can compare her with something like the Grand Princess. Some of the features (such as bathroom fixtures, etc) may appear older.

I first sailed on her from Athens to Dover in May 1997, the again on the Baltic RT Douver in May 1998.

I am looking at sailing her again in March 2004 from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale.
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Oh she holds a special place in my heart. She is one classy lady. Its been a few years since we did a 10 days Transcanal on this special lady. Sure she doesn't have all the glitz, glamour, bells and whistles of the mega-ships but she has class. I love her wrap around Promenade deck , their are no inside cabins so the cabins are more spacious. I would sail on her again in an instant.
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:01 PM
David S

Default Re: Re: Royal Princess, Good, Bad, Old, Classic? Your Thoug

Have not been on in years, but did the Panama Canal. Great ship All outside cabins, great service. Do not hesitate on sailing on her.
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

Hi

Ditto to all the above. I sailed on the Royal in 2001/2002 from Buenos Aires to Santiago - 14 days and thoroughly enjoyed every one.

The Royal has a class and ambiance that is unique and you will not be disappointed. Everyone slows down a little and are generally more polite, quiet, understated - compared to the glitze and glamour and brashness of the bigger new ships. This feeling rolls over to the staff who were outstanding on the Royal ( my cruise) - which makes the whole experience easier. More International psgr list, much better food, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

And she looks like a ship - her decks and viewing areas over the bow are wonderful.

The Royal is doing Cape to Cape via Antartica - and to me this is the cruise of a lifetime. Very Expensive for us, imagine air fares, but if I win lotto - I will be there.

Go and Enjoy
Mich
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Passenger

ditto to all of the above. Was on the Royal in Jan from Buenos Aires to Santiago, and just came back from the cruise from Aug 27 to Sept. 8th It is a very nice ship. We learned that the Royal will be refurbished this coming April in Italy.
Old September 11th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Alex C

My wife and I were on the Royal for the first time last May from Athens to Southampton (12 days). Previously been on Star (Mexican Riviera) and Ocean (Alaska).
Sure she doesn't have the many options of the bigger ships but as many others point out you get a more personal service and a real sense of class. The main dining room cuisine was outstanding - every day! By far the best quality and service of any other dining option we have had on Princess!
The cabins serve as a living room during the day with sofas and extra space, and then (if you ask/tip your steward nicely) you come back from your wonderful dinner and they have been converted to a double bed - great stuff!
Sure some of the cabin fittings are a little dated, in fact I have never seen such an old fashioned TV remote control! But such things (as long as they function OK) are not a priority for us.
Overall I believe Princess are using clever marketing by having their least equipped, yet classiest ship visit the most exotic and interesting World destinations, knowing that a loyal following will go with her.
We are very, very lucky to be able to combine air miles with our next trip- Royal Princess again to Antartica on Dec 19th. Can't wait, 24 days of that cuisine!
My advice- try her and see what you think- we love her!
Old September 14th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

To Alex C.

I am so envious of your upcoming cruise. Please post a review on your return. I wish you a fantastic journey and I hope that the cruise is such a huge success, that Princess will do the same tour next year. Its a brilliant itinerary and on the Royal - and that food - oh my

Enjoy
Mich
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Cynthia

I was on the Royal this past July. While a nice looking ship. I felt extremely claustrophobic. THe ship has almost no open areas at all except for the pool. I couldnt sleep at night either becuase of the Horrible vibration! It felt like I was sleeping on one of those old motel beds you always see in the movies, you know the ones, that run on a quarter to shake? I was on the 8th floor (passenger floor) too so it wasnt like I was near the engines. I was sat in the dining room aft, and the vibration was so bad it shook the fork off my plate. The food was so so and I felt pressured by the waiter to order wine. The staff was very nice and helpful but I would not sail the Royal again.

Cynthia
Old September 15th, 2003, 04:47 PM
MtnMates

Hey, go for it. We are booked for the Cape Town to Valpairso twenty four day cruise via Antarctica on Dec. 19. This will be our second on the Royal, the other being Buenos Aires to Valpairso in Nov. of '01. We love this ship for its smaller size and its mellow age and fittings. If you're looking for Las Vegas, this isn't your ship. We were on the Millennium trans-atlantic this past April, and it was nice, but we prefer the Royal to all the glitter and massiveness of the new ships. But, of course, different strokes for different folks.
John
Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:05 PM
susancruzs

I love the Royal Princess! I sailed on her in 1986 then again in 2002 and found that Princess was keeping her in great shape! I would sail on her again in a minute!

I just got off the Carnival Glory (brand new ship) and must report during certain maneuvers, all ships vibrate!!! :-) If you sit in an aft dining room when they are pulling away from the dock, the ship vibrates, no way to stop it!!!

She is an absolute classic, I found the food to be right on par with other cruise lines and I've sailed with 6 different lines on many types of cruises, 7 days or longer! In fact both my cruises on the RP were long, 12 and 15 days.

As far as being claustrophobic, I didn't think that at all because public areas/lounges have lots of windows. Alot of newer ships have no open areas, not even by the pools, everything is enclosed.

I'd say go for it!

Susie
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:39 PM
BuddyP

We have booked a full suite for next summer on the Royal. Has anyone stayed in one of the suites? If so could you let us know if you felt it was worth the extra cost? Thanks.
Old October 11th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Terry Joyce

We are just off Royal Med trip and agree with Cynyhia that dining room vibration was so bad it adversely affected the fun of social dining. Our table of 8 all agreed that this was a major ship issue.
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sailed the Royal on three diffrent trips over a three year time span..LOVE the ship. On one trip the Social Hostess ate dinner with us several time during the two week trip..two groups of women (mother/daughter groups) She made the meals a treat. We got to know the piano player that sits at the top of the stairs above the dinning room. The waiters in that lounge remembered our drinks....

Sure the ship is smaller, no golf (hey you are on a ship!!not at a resort), not as many lounges, some areas serve double duty but we loved every minute of every trip and would sail on her again.

I ahve been on the Star, also a great ship but I don't think we saw the same people twice and came away not having gotten to really know anyone, We like to eat in the main dining room, our table mates didn't enjoy the room so they didn't return everynite..felt strange to have 3 people at a table for 8..waiters didn't combine the half empty tables....