Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Tony and Jennifer

Default Star Princess 1 Nov 03

Hi, we are an Australian couple travelling to the US, to meet the Star Princess, for the 26 day cruise leaving LA on 1 Nov 03 arriving Sydney 26 Nov 03. We are flying out of Sydney a week prior to joinging the ship.

We have a outside cabin with balcony on the Baja deck however, we have yet to be allocated our cabin . If anyone else who is travelling on the ship we would be interested in e mail contact before we leave Aust. If there are any Americans who have travelled on the ship may also be able to give us some advice. Eg is there any drying space and hand washing area in the laundry, what is the average cost of dry cleaning and pressing. What are the costs for wine, sprits and beer on board. Do the duty free shops on board have a good overall range.

We have booked for the traditional dinning for the second seating, does anyone have any advice regarding the dress code except for the formal nights, when we will possibly dine in another area. I decided I would buy my self and Jennifer a crusise for my recent , and early retirement.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Star Princess 1 Nov 03

We stayed on the Baja deck with a balcony guarantee too. We did end almost at teh front of the ship -- no problem with motion or anything, it was just a long walk sometimes.

It's a fantastic ship, and the indoor pool is wonderful with its glass roof.

Mixed drinks run about $4.95 plus the 15 percent added on tip.

On non-formal nights, I wore silk shirts and slacks, which was just fine, so judge accordingly. Princess seems to be a little fancier on dress than other lines I've been on.

Finally, search "Star Princess" in the photo galleries, and I have a whole gallery with photos of the ship. Also, try posting on "meet on board" to find others traveling with you -- I know I've seen a couple who are.

Harry
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Tony and Jennifer

Default Re: Re: Star Princess 1 Nov 03

Hi Harry for the reply, it gives us at least as few ideas. I will take your advice and place a meet on board notice.

Thanks for your quick reply
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:13 PM
John Pegueros

Eg is there any drying space and hand washing area in the laundry,

When we were on this ship, eight months ago, we looked into the laundry near our cabin. Found a very small room with two washers and two dryers and a iron and board. I do not recall seeing any basin and there was no room for "line drying".

We have booked for the traditional dinning for the second seating, does anyone have any advice regarding the dress code except for the formal nights, when we will possibly dine in another area.

Please take my advice on this. The last time I wore a tux was my wedding, 26 years ago. I was not about to rent, much less buy something like that for a few dinners. What I did do was go to a thrift shop and found a dark suit for $1.74. I have used it on two cruises and I felt very comfortable in the company of tuxedos and shinny shoes. My wife already had "cocktail party" type attire. What you will find is the menu for the "formal" nights is a little better such as lobster and baked Alaska.

Pack a dark suit (or two), black shoes, two or three solid colored shirts and three of four ties. Be sure the shirts and ties can be swicthed back and forth and your set for the trip. The first formal night, get dressed early and walk about the ship. If you still feel uncomfortable, you still have time to change and eating somewhere else. It would be a shame to waste formal nights just because you didn't pack something
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Star Princess 1 Nov 03

We Salute you on your honesty and cleverness on overcoming what could have become another cost burden in fulfilling the dress code.
The money you saved could go towards another rewarding cruise experience.
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Toto

We are also on the Nov. 1st sailing (hello Tony and Jennifer) we are traveling with friends from Sydney, They will be flying in the day before the cruise to LAX.
Have not been on the Star yet but we have sailed the Grand twice before and they are comparible.
We were originally booked on the Bangkok to Sydney sailing but as we all know, because of SARS those were cancelled long ago. Princess offered us a deal on this 24 day cruise, so we jumped on it.
We have been to many of the ports on this itienerary before, but Fiji, Samoa and New Zealand will all be new to us.
We did cruise from Sydney to Singapore in 2000 and 2001 on RCI and had a wonderful time sailing the Eastern Coast of Australia (guess we must have since we did it two years in a row)lol Last year we did a B to B on the Crown Princess from Honolulu to Papeete which was a fantastic 24 day cruise.
Looking forward to the beautiful islands in Tahiti again (just wish we were going to be there more than two days)
Hope to meet and say hello.
There is a small group we have found on this sailing from another message board and we will all be meeting up to say hello in the Wheelhouse Bar at 5:00 PM the day we board the ship. Please stop in and say hello.
Feel free to email to the address listed here if you need more info on the Bon Voyage celebration we have planned for the Wheelhouse Bar.