Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Default Clothes Questions

These message threads have been so great to get information, thanks to all!

We are going to Alaska next May, first cruise ever, on Diamond Princess. I have a good idea of what to pack for formal, type of clothing to be smart casual for other dinners, and what to wear outside.

What are the typical temps for the public rooms? Would we be more comfortable in short sleeves (and carry a wrap or jacket)? Or long sleeves/turtlenecks/sweaters?

My husband will bring a suit and tie for formal nights. Do men usually wear white shirts or colors or does it matter?

What is a good swimsuit coverup? Is a pareo (full length) ok for me? What do men usually wear? I saw the thread about requesting robes, do you wear those to the pool?

Thank you

Sonja
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Clothes Questions

I used the robes to the pool since some days it is cool outside..here is the key word..layers..shortsleeves are okay but you might want a coverup..the a/c is set for a full show room of people, temps vary day to day..just like at home..remember it is cold we had rain and snowflurrys in canada in June two years ago..
Old October 11th, 2003, 12:14 AM
kimba_99

We also used the robes for going back to our cabin after using the spas/hot tubs, it is hard to get dry/warm/dressed out in the cold, easier to put the robes on. Some people wore track suits as well.

The inside temp was quite pleasant. Most of the time I just wore a long sleeved top/blouse and if I knew I would be going outside, took my jacket with me (the pockets had hat and gloves!!). Glacier Bay and College Fjord were cool/cold days and most people had jumpers on inside as well as jackets/coats outside.

Formal nights many men wore coloured shirts not just white. From other reviews and my own experience clothing was fairly casual for the whole week. Mostly suits and ties worn by men and not many tux's, couple of men wore turtle necks. Most women dressed nicely (what you would wear to a wedding) but no ball gowns or the like.

Hope this helps,

Kim
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to CruizinLiz

We are on the Princess Sapphire this July, what 2 nites are formal and how cold is it typically on the seas at night out on deck(parka or sweater etc) Thanks for all the info. Liz
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM
davidkade

I wear a Tux on formal night. Hence the term: "Formal Night."
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Yeoman

On the Sun last May, most people were less formal than we saw in the Caribbean, probably Sunday best for formal nights. Long sleeves were warm enough inside. It was very cold the week we went with a constant cold wind, so take something with a hood to block the wind.

Carnival Inspiration
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM
gaschatt

I'm taking my 9 year old son on an Alaska Cruise this summer, are kids expected to wear coats/ties as well on formal nights?

Thanks,
Greg