Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Frank

Default How to avoid the bus to Ensenada

I'm looking at the itinerary for the Island Princess for what is shown as a round trip out of Los Angeles for a cruise embarkng on 1/19/05. It shows that it stops in Ensenda for just 1 hour, from 7 PM to 8 PM - probably because of that screwy transportion act. What I don't want is that terrible bus ride that some cruise lines put people on from San Diego to Ensenada to meet that act's needs. How can I be sure we will go by ship and not by bus. Even my TA thinks we are bused and that only HAL does this bump and run in Ensenada. How can I be sure without writing to Princess?
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Default Re: How to avoid the bus to Ensenada

This past March, my husband and I traveled that route to Ensenanda from LA, to get to the Sun Princess for our Hawaii cruise. Our TA tried to tell us it was a nice scenic bus trip, which it was not. Good Luck. I know I wouldn't enjoy doing that again.
Happy Cruising.....Anita
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Admiral

I think you are pretty much stuck with the bus trip unless you have a car. Avis will let you take cars up to 400 miles into Mexico. I don't know if they will let you drop it off in Ensenada or not. I somewhat doubt that they will allow that and I'm not even sure if they have an office in Ensenada.

That being said, I rather don't mind the ride from San Diego to Ensenada. I'm sure they take the toll road which is a pretty good road except for one major dip in the road. Take a good book or a "Books on Tape" and relax while you enjoy the scenery. I've driven it myself several times and find it an interesting drive. However I am one person that adores Mexico in every way.

Good Luck!
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: How to avoid the bus to Ensenada

That's what I thought but if you look at the itinerary for the Island Princess for this 1/19/05 cruise, it shows just a 1 hour stop at Ensenada. There's no way they could get the entire ship emptied and into buses in an hour. On another forum they think they'll be taking the ship. You folks are experienced and know that they did bus you from LA to Ensenada for the Sun Princess. I think I'm going to have to write a letter to Princess to get the real scoop.
Frank-in-CA
Old October 14th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Passenger

This is just an operational stop to meet the requirements of the Passenger Services Act (often incorrectly referred to as the Jones Act which actually covers cargo ships.)

You will still embark and disembark in San Pedro for this cruise, the ship only stops for an hour in Ensenada and no passengers get off. I don't think they actually dock, I've heard they only send a tender out to shore to sign the neccesary paperwork (don't know if that part is true or not.)
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: How to avoid the bus to Ensenada

Do you know if this is something new? Others have commented that when they did the round trip to Hawaii on the Sun Princess from LA that they were bused from LA to Ensenada and that it was excruciating. I won't take any cruise that subjects me to such treatment.
Frank
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:13 PM
F.D.

TO: Frank, I went on the Mar. 11, 03 round trip cruise from L.A. to Hawaii on the Sun Princess. We did not even stop in Ensenada. We embarked in L.A on disembarked in L.A.