Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2003, 03:57 PM
recordlvr

Default how formal is formal?

hi all. i'm embarking on the golden princess on sunday, a four day cruise to halifax. i understand there is one "formal" night, but for men a dark suit's OK. my question is, can i get by with a blazer and slacks or will i be made to feel like an underdressed bozo?
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: how formal is formal?

H Re,
Formal night is just that "formal", I'd try to find something a little more dressy. They usually have a champagne waterfall that evening, also professional pictures will be taken, you may want to purchase one of those as a keep sake?? I always pack a cocktail dress, but you'll see woman in long prom type dresses and anything sparkley will do nicely.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A suit is more preferrable, but the truth of the matter is you can likely get away just fine with a sports jacket, dress slacks, shirt and tie.

You're not likely to encounter anyone who will make me feel anything less than welcome.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 18th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hard to say on the cruise you're taking but on our three Caribbean cruises with Princess I'd say the breakdown was 40% tuxes, 50% suits, 10% sports jac/tie/slacks. FWIW. Ladies dresses ranged from very fancy sparkly things, some basic "little black dresses" and a few (nice) pants suits. Mix was almost the the same on the RCI Adventure last spring, with a few more suits and a fewer tuxes. On the Carnival Pride, it was 10% tuxes, 40% suits, 40% jac/tie/slacks and 10% who wore very casual clothing (and looked pretty silly).

Grand Princess 02/99
Ocean Princess 04/00
Ocean Princess 04/01
Carnival Pride 06/02
Adventure of the Seas 04/03
Golden Princess 02/04 !!!!!!
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Grammom

Blazer & slacks are perfectly acceptable. I assure you, you won't be alone. Just don't forget the white shirt and tie!
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: how formal is formal?

Kuki,

You're not likely to encounter anyone who will make me feel anything less than welcome.

That's true -- but it does not mean that the people who are gracious enough to act hospitably toward somebody who does not conformed to the prescribed attire won't be thinking that said individual looks like a Bozo....

And then there are the folks who just ignore such individuals and walk on past, when they otherwise might have stopped to chat....

Norm.
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM
Admiral

recordlvr,

i'm embarking on the golden princess on sunday, a four day cruise to halifax. i understand there is one "formal" night, but for men a dark suit's OK. my question is, can i get by with a blazer and slacks or will i be made to feel like an underdressed bozo?

The four-day cruise might draw a somewhat more casual crowd than what's typical on longer cruises, and so might the Canada/New England destination (as Alaska also does).

That said, your best bet is to go with the prescribed attire (either a dark business suit or a tuxedo). That way, you won't be embarassed or feel out of place regardless of what others do.

Norm.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:48 PM
Bonkers

If you own a suit you should wear that. If you don't, I wouldn't go out a buy one, just wear the jacket. If renting a tux is within your means, I would consider that strongly. It will add a nice touch to the cruise and make you feel special.

As far as how casual can you go, on my last cruise our tablemates showed up and the husband was in a short sleeve shirt and plain tie. He got by. I was in a white dinner jacket / tux. He was anice guy, preffessional type, that just didn't feel like dressing up. Oh well.