Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Traci

Default Just got back from Grand any questions

Hi I just got back from the grand princess. We sailed Oct 19-26. If anyone has any questions i'd be more than happy to answer.
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:53 PM
DLIP

Default Re: Just got back from Grand any questions

hi --- I was just looking into that cruise for Feb. 2004. Can you tell me about the Mexican ports. That is my big questionmark about the cruise? Tell me your opinion on them. Also, is the ship in good shape? Thanks
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Traci

Default Re: Re: Just got back from Grand any questions

The ship is in excellent shape. Its been very well maintained. The rugs and all the furniture was in excellent condition. Costa maya is a new port so there isn't much to do there. We went to a beach they had on the right side of the dock and did snorkeling and rented beach chairs for 3 bucks a piece. They have a nice little shopping area and different shows with mexican dancers throughout the day. We ate at the restaurant on the right side where the beach was but didn't care for it on the left side of the pier there is a huge salt water pool and a restaurant there. We walked through it while looking at the stores and the food looked good.Cozumel is one of my favorite ports i've been there 4 times already we always go to chankanaab park its 10 bucks for the taxi each way and 10 bucks each to get into the park. They have really good snorkeling and for 6 bucks you can rent all your snorkel stuff there. They also have nice trails to walk through its a very nice place for the little bit of money it cost to get in. Good luck in booking your cruise. If you decide on the Grand you'll have a great time.
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:39 AM
ruthie1961

We also sailed on the Grand Oct 19-26; We did the shore snorkeling excursion from the ship in Cozumel $25 per person, included transportation, a 1-1/2 snorkel on a protected reef, and your gear. I would recommend it to all, if you were having a problem in the water, the guides would help you, they even "towed" a couple of people that were tired on the way back.
In Grand Cayman we did the stingray city and 1 snorkel stop at Coral Gardens reef with Nativeways.com, not through the ship. This was an excellent tour and was also only $25 per person.
Costa Maya was okay, but not much to see other than the show and shops. When I go again, I will get a beach chair and a massage on the beach and skip the shopping there. I thought their prices were a bit high. Shopping was much better in Cozumel.
Princess Cay was a beautiful well maintained private island with great facilities. A nice touch was the blocks made up the sidewalk, didn't get hot so you could walk on them barefooted with ease.
Hope you enjoy your cruise.
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:57 PM
DLIP

Thanks for all the info. I've been to Cozumel once before and loved it also. Costa Maya is the port that worries me. Once again, thanks for the info.
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Pea

The first time we did Costa Maya, we went on the Chacchoben Ruins tour. It was great! Last year, we just relaxed around the port. Went to the chairs at the beach by the salt water pool...there were thatched roofs above if you wanted to stay out of the sun. They came around and took your drink order and delivered the drinks to you. We did not get charged $3 to sit there...we were there in June of this year.

Pea
Old November 5th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Stuart Send a message via MSN to Stuart

What kind of "free" beverages" were available thoughout the day on the Grand? I was on Carnival last year and they always had FREE lemonade and/or ice tea.
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Traci

The 3 dollar charge for the chairs wasn't for the chairs by the saltwater pool it was for the chairs at the beach on the right side of the dock. If you go to the beach by the saltwater pool the chairs are free but there isn't an actual beach where you can walk into the water easily plus the water was rough over there. On the right side of the pier there is an actual beach where you can rent chairs and just relax.
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Traci

One thing about princess is they don't offer much of anything to drink free.All they had in the horizon court all day was free coffee,tea, ice tea,milk and water. They did not have lemonade.
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Passenger

I'm going on that same cruise in another week. What part of the boat did you stay in? What excursions did you do? Did you do personal dining.
Did you stay at a hotel the night before leaving?
Any insider tips on anything?

Thanks
Old November 7th, 2003, 02:00 PM
ruthie1961

We stayed on the Emerald deck with a window... It was lovely.
I highly recommend the shore snorkel tour in Cozuemel with the ship. about $25 per person. Also do the stingrays with Nativeways in Grand Cayman also about $25 per person, was not crowded and a real pleasure. We loved personal dining, we could do whatever we wanted to-- I'm not sure if "Deep Shade" the pool band will still be there but if they are don't miss them they are wonderful!!! Pools and hot tubs are open 24/7 which was wonderful....for late nite soak under the stars!!! Grab a drink and relax...
Old November 9th, 2003, 01:12 PM
stan

I hear that there are several trips for ruins in Costa Maya. Do you know which one is best and whether you should book through the ship line or do local tours in these locations?
Old November 9th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Traci

We stayed on the Baja deck it was an inside cabine mid ship. We only did a tour in grand cayman and we did it on our own. It was the same as the highlights tour that the ship offers for 32 dollars a person we got it for only 15 a person. We had personal choice dining we like to be able to eat whenever we want. Can't help you out with the hotel question. We live in Orlando and drove to the Port that morning. In
Cozumel i'd recommend going to Chankanaab Park if you like to snorkel. Its 10 bucks to and from the pier and only 10 dollar per person to get in.This was my 11th cruise and my first with Princess and i'd highly recommend them to anyone we had a great time. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Julie & David

We sailed the Grand in July 2003. It was fabulous.

We stayed the night before at the Best Western Fort Lauderdale Inn. It was reasonable and they offer a free shuttle to the ship.

I'm sure you will enjoy this ship.

Have fun!

Julie