Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:02 PM
jolee

Default formal night - kids?

I am cruising on the Golden Christmas week. What is appropriate attire for my boys, ages 12, 10 and 7. They do not own suits or jackets. Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: formal night - kids?

Hi Jolee,
Nice pants with a dress shirt/tie will be fine for the formal nights for the young guys.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Andee

I used to buy my son blazers at a nice resale shop. They were cheap anbd he looked great.
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Admiral

dress pants,dress shoes, shirt & tie and if you can find an inexpensive blazer(thrift store, consignment shop or retail sale) that would be just fine.
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: formal night - kids?

how about my 16yo? I know lots of 16yo boys are full grown but mine is on the slow track, he's just getting into the swing of this growing thing and I hate to buy him a suit now, knowing he'll wear it twice and it will be too small by Easter. if not by Christmas. which is when we're cruising.

he has black pants, and I have a tuxedo jacket (60's vintage, narrow lapels.. very retro..) that will fit him (2, actually.. black and white).. so if I get a white shirt and a skinny black tie, he'll look pretty cool in the black one.. and if I get a black shirt and a skinny red tie, he'd look mighty christmas-ish in the white one.. and.. given his shoulder-length spiral hair and 16yo attitude, he's not going to look all that formal no matter what he's wearing.. can I go with what we have?
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Admiral

jolee,

I am cruising on the Golden Christmas week. What is appropriate attire for my boys, ages 12, 10 and 7. They do not own suits or jackets.

There's no distinction as to age in Princess's dress codes. Your boys should wear the prescribed formal attire (either a tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit) on the two formal nights. The least expensive option probably is to rent tuxedos for them. Around here, many tuxedo shops offer rentals on a "cruise package" that provides rental of a coat, a pair of pants (with the silk stripe down the sides), two shirts, a cummerbund with matching bow tie and a vest with matching bow tie, studs and matching cuff links, and shoes for a week at about $80. This certainly would be less expensive than buying suits that they probalby will outgrow before they have another occasion to wear them.

BTW, I have seen quite a few school-age lads wearing tuxedos on formal nights on Princess cruises -- and I must say that they invariably look quite handsome!

Norm.
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: formal night - kids?

suddenlycruisin,

how about my 16yo? I know lots of 16yo boys are full grown but mine is on the slow track, he's just getting into the swing of this growing thing and I hate to buy him a suit now, knowing he'll wear it twice and it will be too small by Easter. if not by Christmas. which is when we're cruising.

A tuxedo is definitely in order.

In the Boston area, many tuxedo shops offer a "cruise package" that provides a week's rental of a jacket, a pair of pants, a pair of dress shoes, two shirts, a vest with matching tie and a cummerbund with matching tie, and studs and cuff links for about $80.

he has black pants, and I have a tuxedo jacket (60's vintage, narrow lapels.. very retro..) that will fit him (2, actually.. black and white).. so if I get a white shirt and a skinny black tie, he'll look pretty cool in the black one.. and if I get a black shirt and a skinny red tie, he'd look mighty christmas-ish in the white one.. and.. given his shoulder-length spiral hair and 16yo attitude, he's not going to look all that formal no matter what he's wearing.. can I go with what we have?

Hmmm.... I would be leary of the "retro" (that is, dated) look....

Norm.
Old October 30th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Admiral

jolee, i am in the exact same situation as you regarding your eldest son. MY son is 17 so i have been putting off purchasing him a suit jacket. I have purchased him a pair of very dressy black pants, go them a bit longer so he has some growing room, i have purchased him 2 dress shirts for about 1/2 half price by watching the sales and i am going to hit the outlet store to buy him a suit jacket. Have your son try on the tux jacket that you have see if he likes it. I think the look you are talking about is great, my nephew did the 40's look for his last cruise and he looked dynamite. You might also consider a collar-less tux shirt with black stud buttons.