Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:42 PM
LadyRx

Default Travel Insurance

posted 10-28-03 11:21 PM
Has anyone had experience with Travel Guard insurance and/or Princess insurance? Have you had to cancel your vacation? If so, what was the outcome? We're a bit confused which insurance company to purchase. Travel Guard says they will reimburse 100% of the money if you cancel the cruise for
sickness,injury,death,or inclement weather. Princess will reimburse 70%-90% (depending on the coverage you purchased) in future cruise credit. I'd be very interested to know the outcome of cancelled cruises with either company.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Frank

Default Re: Travel Insurance

Travel Guard sounds like the best bet now to me. I recently had to use the trip interuption portion and was insured by Travel Insured International. Travel Guard will pay for either your trip back home or the non-refundable air fare, whichever is the greatest. Travel Insured would only pay for the return home air fare up to the amount of the non-refundable ticket. Both prorate and pay for lost days of a cruise.

We were 5 days into an 18 day cruise from SF to Tahiti when we were notified that my Father-in-law died. Our return flight, which was non-refundable, cost $1040. Princess was going to book us on a flight that would have cost us over $1600 plus taxes and fees for the two of us to fly back from Maui. I got on the internet and was able to book 2 seats on Aloha from Maui to Oakland for $775. Travel Guard would have refunded us the difference so we wouldn't have been out anything. Travel Insured would only pay for the $775 to get us back home. They wouldn't even pay for the taxi we had to take from Lahaina, where the ship anchored, to the Maui airport.

As far as the cruise line's insurance - it covers for even less. To check many of the insurances available, check out: http://insuremytrip.com/
Frank-in-CA
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:59 AM
LadyRx

Default Re: Re: Travel Insurance

Thanks for your reply, Frank. I think we have decided on Travelguard, as well. Living in south Florida, we were mostly concerned with cancellation due to hurricane ( which happened to us while cruising the Grand in September-Isabelle). Now that it's no longer hurricane season down here, that's just one less worry for us!

Happy cruising and thank you again!
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:33 AM
slotl

I am not as worried about "trip cancellation" insurance, but more concerned about "medical evacuation". If you are hurt, injured, or ill -- how will you get home quickly to the hospital and doctor of your choice???

I would check out websites such as: http://www.medexassist.com/individual.cfm which specialize in just this type of insurance, send private medically equipped aircraft. It is sold by length of trip and has single and family coverage. I think a 7 day policy can cost $99 for individual and $129 for family. I am sure there are a lot of other travel insurance vendors for medical evacuation that you can find on the web.

I try to stay away from ship sponsored insurance, it is ususally too expensive and not inclusive enough.

Slotl
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:41 PM
Frank

If you are worried about medical evacuation, you might be interested in being an AAA Plus member. This membership covers you for up to $25,000 in emergency medical evacuation costs in addition to a few other things. The extra $30 or so dollars to upgrade from a regular to plus is not much if this means a lot to you.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM
RSG

I recently had a heart attack onboard RCI's Grandeur of the Seas. Trip Mate has already paid $5,800.00 for air amblance home. Is now reimbursing me for lost vacation and hotel for my spouse and medical costs aboard the ship. I'm awaiting medical bills for the hospital and surgeons in St. John, New Brunswick, Canada. When it's all done, I expect costs to approach $20,00.00
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Frank

Be sure to let us know if everything is covered. I recently had to use Travel Insured and we disagreed on about $250 of about a $5,000 claim. I feel they underpaid me.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 9th, 2003, 04:02 PM
RSG

An update to my earlier post. I have received full payment from Trip Mate for all medical expenses on the ship, hotel costs for my spouse and payment for portion of the trip lost to my surgery. Charges for hospitalization and surgery have not yet been recieved from the folks in New Brunswick and will be forwarded to Trip Mate when recieved. To date they have paid over $12,000.00.
Old November 9th, 2003, 10:33 PM
LadyRx

Thanks for keeping us updated, RSG! Hope your health is improving every day! Glad to hear they are reimbursing you for your trip. Please continue to keep us informed!
Old November 26th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Travel Insurance

I am pleased to say that Travel Insured International responded to the letter I sent to their president and reconsidered my claim. Here is what they said:

"I have reviewed your claim and I am amenable to paying you an additional $319.80 - that check will be sent to you next week.

The intent of our trip interruption benefit is to limit the return transportation benefit to the one way economy transportation expense. It is my understanding that you elected the most economical one way ticket and in recognition of that effort we are willing to make this additional payment.

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving."

Well, with news like that, I will have a Happy Thanksgiving. I have to take back my negative comments that I made about this company but it took an additional letter for them to fess up.
Frank-in-CA