Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Cynthia

Default Sun

I have just read very negative reviews about experiences on the Sun. I have cruised Carnival 4 times and have booked my first cruise with Princess on the Sun April 9 for the Southern Caribbean. I am surprising my parents with this as a Christmas gift-my kids are going too. Should I reconsider the ship, destination, or cruise line I have chosen before making final payment? I have saved all year to pay for 5 people to vacation together and I feel responsible for everyone having a good time. Help!
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Sun

I have read tons of reviews of the Sun that made it sound like a great ship! We are going on the 10 day Southern Caribbean on November 21st. Most of what we read on the Princess boards on CruiseCritic.com has been good news..........a lot of people seem to feel that the Sun class ships are their favorites...not too big.
I will be glad to give you my opinion when we return, but I am expecting to have a great time. We have been on two Holland America cruises, two Royal Caribbean Cruises and four Princess Cruises. Holland America was very nice, and was about even with Princess, in our opinion. We have booked Princess because they had the itineraries we wanted, at a price we were willing to pay. Royal Caribbean also had good prices, but we have decided that we will not cruise that line again........based strictly on personal feelings about the whole thing. Many of their activities were too "sporty" for us, and they seemed to have many more pay activities.
If you read the message boards, Princess, on Cruisemates, Cruise Critic, and Cruise Addicts, plus any more you find , you should get a good idea of what the Princess line offers, and what the ships are like. Without stepping foot on the Sun, I am expecting a lovely ship, a smallish cabin with plenty of storage, reasonable food, considering it was cooked for 2000 people, and I am paying less for a balcony cabin on a ten day cruise than I did for an outside cabin on a seven day cruise a few years ago.The food was reasonable then, too. I know I wont go to the Art auctions, I will leave the ten dollars per person, per day, on my shipboard account, and may tip extra, if we have great service. I know that the only free drinks on Princess, through the day, are ice tea and coffee. I wish they had lemonade or punch. If I drank soda, I would buy a soda card. I know that alcaholic drinks are about the same as they are at lounges around here.
There can always be glitches, but hopefully, they would be quickly resolved. On our last cruise, we couldn't get into the safe.......previous occupants had left it locked...........we called the steward, and he had someone there in five minutes, and it was opened in the next two minutes. The only other problem we have ever had on a ship was on our first HAL cruise, when the water plant "something" went on the fritz, and all the water was salty. We thought the ship should have provided bottled water for everyone, at no charge, but they didn't. We now take a few bottles of water aboard, and buy more at ports, just in case...........
Everything I have read about the kids program has been very favorable.
I know this is long, but I hope we BOTH have a wonderful cruise!
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Admiral

We sailed on her sister ship the Sea Princess a couple of years ago and loved it. Its a big ship not a mega-ship but it has a small ship feel to it, very easy to get around. Staff was amazing, food was really good, show were good, had a couple of great bands that played in the bars, our favorite hang-out became the Wheelhouse Bar - very relaxing place to go before dinner, after a show, whatever. Personally speaking i think that Princess is a "few steps above" Carnival, all around,- for me personally i like to use the comparison that Carnival is like a Marriot or Sheraton Hotel and Princess is like a Hyatt Regency- both have good points & bad points, they are just different that's all. Hope this helps some.
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM
ToddW

My wife and I will be traveling on the Nov 21 Sun sailing as well. We have done 3 other cruises with Princess (2 on the Grand and 1 on the Golden) and never really had a problem. I expect the level of service should be the same. I'll let you know how we like it!
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:14 PM
First Mate

My husband and I took a 15 day, LA to Hawaii cruise this past March on the Sun Princess and we had a wonderful time. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might concerning the ship.
Happy Cruising......Anita
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Perky1

Where was this negative review at? I have read nothing but good things about this ship. In fact, I will be getting off as you are getting on.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:21 AM
kimba_99

Perky1... go to the Reader Review section and look for the Sun Princess... there are a couple of new reviews that you may not have seen yet.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:33 AM
Sara Haynes

I sailed this year on the Sun Princess and loved the ship. She is a beautiful ship with great service. I think you will love her.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Familiar Face

The reader reviews you read may have been the two from a John and Lewis- they had nothing good to say about anything - I have been on the Sun several times and have found everything to be excellent!!! Have no fear!!
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Yeoman

We were on the Sun in May and loved her! Check in was about 25 minutes with the biggest wait being waiting for customs to open. If you fill out all the forms online, you get express check in and it goes fast. The room was small, but since we had a balcony, we didn't mind. There was more than enough storage space and we were spending time on the balcony, sleeping and changing clothes in the room. The staff was very efficient and friendly. Someone was constantly cleaning and shining. They try to never say "No" to a request, so you get good service. We, too, liked the Wheelhouse Bar, although we wished the dance floor was a little bigger. On the whole, we liked the food as well as, or better than, the food on Carnival. (Princess' desserts weren't anything to write home about.) We had Personal Choice Dining, so the dining room was busier and the waiters had to serve all courses throughout the evening. The traditional dining rooms were probably quieter and more relaxed. There were never any long lines. They somehow manage to get people through without a crowd ever accumulating. Since cruising on the Sun, we are big fans of Princess and plan to cruise with them as often as possible. I think your family will love her and have a great time!

Carnival Inspiration