Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Curiuosgeorge

Default bringing my own drinks

Bringing my own drinks on board? I have tried to read all I can about Princess policy and can not tell if I can bring my own soda and wine onboard for consumption in my room or not...I know I must pay a fee to have it in the dining area...Does anyone know any more about this?
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: bringing my own drinks

Bringing soda is no problem. Wine is ok as long you aren't talking cases, a few bottle for "special occasions" is permitted. You are right about the corkage fee in the dining room.
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Princess allows you to bring a couple of bottles of wine or champagne for enjoyment in your stateroom, just remember to pack your corkscrew. As for soda, they usually allow you bring a few cans or a couple of small bottles in your carry-on, just don't overdo it. Will they allow you bring a case of soda aboard, no, a cooler , no- a few cans, most likely.
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: bringing my own drinks

I have actually seen passengers bring a case of soda on board with no problem however it's not something I'd do. I have brought as many as six cans with me.
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:21 PM
ESS

I do not drink alchohol - so that is not a concern On the other hand, I am going to bringing a device that will enable me to prepare one of my favorite non-alchoholic drinks. My friends have laughed at me, and my wife has pleaded that I do this only in the privacy of our cabin, and not at the Horizon buffet.
How did I reach this conclusion regarding this device? Last year my wife and I took a cruise on the Celebrity Horizon. It is a wonderful ship and we had a great time. Every breakfast I would head to the buffet to have a wonderful breakfast. Well - almost wonderful. With my breakfast I had orange juice. The orange juice was satisfactory - but it was dispensed from a machine and certainly not freshly squeezed. Then I observed a bowl of fruit with very nice looking oranges sitting all by itself. Then I had some more of the orange juice, and then once again I observed that bowl of oranges. I decided if I was ever on another cruise, I would bring a portable plastic juicer and have freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast! We are going on the Grand on November 23, and so is the juicer. This is not the first time we have used a juicer. When in the middle east some years ago, oranges were selling for four cents a pound, much cheaper than bottle water. As a result we purchased a plastic juicer and had freshly squeezed orange juice every day! So if you are on the Grand Nov 23 - 30, I will be the fellow transporting a bunch of oranges to my cabin every morning to prepare the days supply of orange juice
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Set up a juice stand on the lido deck.....the wife will love ya!
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:23 PM
slotl

We always brought a 12 pack of Diet Coke in our luggage. We like Diet Coke (not Pepsi or European Coca Cola Lite). On our last Princess cruise to the Baltics (10 day), we were able to purchase a "soft drink" coupon for $25. It gave us unlimited fountain drinks (from the bar or dining room). NOT CANS!! It was perfect, they put a coke sticker on your id and you show it at the bar and you get unlimited fill-ups.

I will no longer carry the heavy coke cans on a cruise anymore.

We also bring our own bottle of vodka and have the room steward deliver a pitcher of orange juice and grapefruit juice each morning to our room. We then enjoy screwdrivers and greyhounds in our room throughout the cruise.
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:18 PM
ESS

Sasco

I suggested to my wife that we sell orange juice for 2 dollars a glass in the Horizon buffet. I thought a nice sign " Help pay for our next cruise - orange juice two dollars" would be a great money maker. After all - those guys who have signs on the off ramps of freeways that say they " will work for food" just want a handout. We were going to provide a real service. But alas - she was not impressed with proposed money making venture - so now everyone is going to have to squeeze their own.
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Passenger

I just returned from the Grand on 11/16/03 to the Western Carribean. I took on a 12 pack of Coke, a bottle of wine, a 3 Liter box of wine, 4 bottles of Tropicana Twister, 2 bottles of tonic water and a "liquid lime", and 6 bottles of water. I had it in a carry on that I wheeled onboard and they ran it thru the scanner. I purchased bottles of liquor for room consumption for $20 /ea from room service. Still had a bar tab but was able to consume in the room when I wanted. We also bought the coke card for 22.50 plus 15% grat.
Old December 12th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Alaska Bound

Princess Policy - Only wine or champagne are allowed.

Just like anywhere, you take your chances and you may get lucky.

I Took champagne and opened it the the PC Dinning Room. NO FEE! Just depends who you have and the staff mood.

Roger
Old December 12th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Corinne

I sailed on the Grand last summer and we brought some sodas and wine onboard for consumption in our room. It was no problem. You can bring wine, beer and soda onboard the Princess ships. Have a great time. Corinne
Old December 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM
bg

You can always bring your own wine and drinks on board, just pack them well. All cruiselines have a very vague and confusing policy, which says you cannot bring aboard any alcoholic beverages purchased (while in port) for consumption aboard. Well, you didn't purchase while in port, you packed it and brought with your luggage when embarking the ship. Several of my clients, including our family, take a case of wine for a 7-10 day cruise and some take their vodka, Ketel One and their favorite mixers for Bloody Mary's while on board. . Just don't advertise that you are bringing on a suitcase full of booze and drinks. Even when you call the cruiselines, they will advise you of their corkage fee, which implies you brought on your wine,etc when boarding. Silly, I know, but they probably feel that this will discourage people from doing so and they can sell more to you at their outrageous prices!
Old December 24th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Bob Glomb

Just wondering. For those of you who have carried beer/wine in your luggage was it in your carry-ons or checked luggage? If in the carry-ons, did you have any problems getting through airport security?
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Passenger

We were thinking of bringing some Vodka and some other mixers. Will it be allowed?
Old December 24th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Familiar Face

You will have to pack it in your checked luggage to get it to your room.
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Passenger

You can buy all the booze you want at the bars {By the bottle} on board for the same price at home . I live on Long Island.
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Passenger

I bring a few 6 packs of soda every time I go on a cruise.

Saves money

Brian
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Jillhou

Sodas are extra cost items? Bottled water, too? If you order room service - sodas are not included as a beverage option? How about at a meal in the dining rooms? We are sailing to Alaska in July and it has been a long time since I was on a cruise (married a man that is not too crazy about water, boats and who is subject to motion sickness! HA)

Hubby loves cokes.....drinks a few a day - seems silly that something like that is not part of the cost.

Thanks for any info!
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Passenger

I have a hard time believing that Princess charges the same for a bottle of Absolut Vodka than say Beverages & More. And they won't have all the items we like either.
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: bringing my own drinks

I don't know what "beverages and more" is, but I just got back in November and liquor was $20 for Bacardi rum, Absolute, Coconut Rum, and Captain Morgan....all were 1 liter bottles and it was $80 thru room service....there is not a gratuity added. Call Princess and ask them what it is you are looking for if you are concerned they won't have it.

To Jillho.....yes, sodas are extra....as mentioned before, you can by a soda card for $22.50 plus 15% gratuity. Yes bottled water will cost you, water on the ship tastes fine....no charge at the bar for a glass of ice water. No matter if you have a soda card or not, you can not use it for room service is my understanding.

If you want a soda in the dining room, just show your waiter your cruise card as this has the sticker on it showing you have the unlimited soda card, or order a soda for $1.50/can. The soda card is only for fountain drinks too...not cans.