Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM
peteeey

Default booking onshore excursions

We're booked on a Dawn Princess cruise over Xmas that will take us to Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Tortola and back to San Juan for a few hours before catching our flight home.

My travel agent said there's no need to book an onshore excursion and that it's better (cheaper) to take a tour company vehicle or taxi that's on the dock. He took the same cruise and said people would fill up a van and get the driver to take them wherever.

Anyone have experience doing this? Is it advisable?
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: booking onshore excursions

its totally up to you. Booking a taxi for a few hours or a whole day is a great way to get a total "feel" for the island you are on. Tell your taxi driver what you are looking to do. On the other hand if you want to do something specific like a dolphin swim, snorkeling, diving, sub tours etc you would be better off booking in advance with either the cruise ship or and independant tour operator.
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:38 AM
peteeey

Default Re: Re: booking onshore excursions

Thank you. Have you done this often as opposed to booking through the ship? I've been told that the cost saving isn't that much when you factor in peace of mind from knowing the ship won't leave until all its tours have returned.
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Default Re: booking onshore excursions

Peetey:
I'm taking the same cruise in April - what did you end up doing?
What would you suggest to someone going on the same cruise? Anything that should be a "don't miss"?
Feel free to contact me directly. It's my 1st cruise & I want to make the most of it!
Thanks.