Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Beginner

Default Average Age?

Hi, I've been trying to do a lot of research regarding average age of cruise lines, as my friends and I are planning a spring break cruise this coming March. We are all aged 19-21.

I have heard conflicting statements regarding Princess cruise lines, one person posted making it sound like Princess ships were for an older crowd, while in another review the writer said you will find a young crowd on the Princess.

I am assuming the Princess would have a somewhat young crowd, as their age policy allows people that are only 21 to accompany minors (25 for most cruise lines), but like I said I've heard conflicting reports.

Any information from past guests would be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Average Age?

It all depends upon which ship and when you go. The Grand Class ships will have a younger crowd and more families if you go during school breaks. If you are looking for a lot of singles you will not find that on Princess, mostly couples and families. Princess is a great line if you want to experience 4-star resort hotel service.
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Passenger

We're looking at going in mid-May on the Southern Caribbean either on CCL or Princess. I too have heard that Princess caters to the "elder". We are 3 couples in our mid-to late thirties and want to have be able to meet other couples our age. We're looking at the Golden Princess and the Carnival Destiny.

Any help would be great. We're also looking to avoid lots of "kids".

Thanks,
Heather
California
Old December 16th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Passenger

My experience from 3 Princess cruises in the past 18 months (The Pacific Princess to Bermuda, The Grand to Western Carribbean, and the Dawn to Southern Caribbean) is that there were a lot of people my age (late 40's and older). There were younger couples (early-mid 30's) with kids, but I wouldn't say there appeared to be a lot of young childless couples, or singles. It seemed more to me that the cruises attracted couples whose kids were either old enough to stay home, or who had flown the nest already. We did take our 17 y.o. daughter on the Grand with us in June during summer vacation time from school and there were more children on that cruise, but still, not so many that they were an annoyance to the passengers.
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Kathy & Dave

The age of the crowd can vary by length of the cruise also. 7-night cruises attract more of a variety of ages, versus 10-night attracting an older crowd. The 7-night western seems to be popular for the spring breakers.

Old December 16th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Average Age?

Thanks for the information. I too am guessing that being that it's mid May and the Caribbean that we should hopefully avoid too many kids and too many "older folks".

Any other helpful tidbits, please pass them along!

Thanks!
Heather
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM
David S

I am now 32, and did a trip like that when I was your age. We did Carnival, and it was a blast. Do not expect anything lavish, just a big party. I have been on Princess, Holland America, Royal Carribean, Carinval and Celebrity, and definately would pick Carnival for Spring Break with my buddies. Royal Carribean would also be good, if you went on Voyager class ship. I wouldn't do Princess, unless you are looking for a quieter time, but you probably will not find that many singles on there who are not with their families.
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Frank

You are correct, the longer the cruise, the older the clientel as older folks have more time to vacation being retired and those retirees have saved appropriately for retirement and can afford the longer cruises. There are also widows that are enjoying what their husbands never could find the time for when they were alive but now they have their hands on the purse strings or collected on insurance policies. These folks mostly enjoy the longer cruises.
Frank-in-CA
Old December 16th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've been on only 3 Princess cruises... all of which were 7 days, out of Florida. And on all, including a New Years cruise, I found the average age to be higher than on Carnival, RCI, or Celebrity.
More like just a bit younger perhaps than Holland America. Nothing at all wrong with that, and there certainly were lots of baby boomers along as well.

For New Years ... my sons were with us. My 21 yr old found perhaps a dozen or so his age onboard, and between them they managed to enjoy.
But... if you're in early 20s, you won't be getting to excited about the party aspects onboard, or the large numbers of your peers to get involved with.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Beginner

Hmm, thanks for the help everyone.

As of right now, it looks like we are going to stick with the Golden Princess. It was either a Princess or NCL, and the only NCL ship we found that was going to the EASTERN caribbean during our spring break was a bit too expensive, as it was leaving from Puerto Rico.

I guess we will just keep our fingers crossed that because the cruise is a 7 day one, and because its during spring break, we'll find some people on board our age.

We wish we could go on Carnival or Royal Caribbean, but their stupid age policy prevents us from doing that. =\
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:53 PM
millymoy

quick question for kuki. i see you have taken a new years cruise. we are on the panama 10 day on dec 26. i too have been on three other cruises. i was wondering if you noticed any extra fan fare on the new years cruise. because this cruise has been sold out for many months, i presume it is a desirable cruise. any thoughts. tks.
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Yeoman

We on't find the Princess cruises to be filled with "oldsters". We did our first Princess cruise while in our early thirties and had a great time. We sat at a table of eight and everyone was in our age range.
I will say Princess is not a party ship , we did Carnival twice and definately found it to be rowdier.
Carnival will be filled with young folks at spring break, not a pretty sight!!
Old December 17th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Vicky E.

Default this was my first 10 day cruise

and I was amazed at how the age of the passengers dropped! I would say that perhaps about 20% wer younger than 40..the rest were all seniors...I must say that I"ve never seen so many wheelchairs and walkers and canes in one place (cruise) before..there were some positives and negatives as there would be on any cruise where one age group outnumbered the others but I found it inspiring really...to think that you don't have to stop doing what you love to do..in this case ..to cruise..simply because you age!!
Old December 17th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Milly.. We've cruised several times for New Years. New Year's Eve is a wonderful time to be at sea. The atmosphere is very festive, and pretty much everyone is out of their cabins, out and about in the various lounges and deck parties celebrating.

One thing on Princess that disappointed us, compared to other lines New Year's parties, was not even one glass of free champagne. Lots available to purchase though <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:10 PM
millymoy

Default kuki

thks for the input kuki. new years on a new ship (Island princess) Meeting new people going to new places should be a new experience. i, like everyone else, am very excited one week before the departure. where and when is your next cruise, kuki. ? ps. great picture of you and the roman moose detail...
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Passenger

While Elliott is going during Spring Break, we are going in May. Mostly to avoid young kids (under 18). Has anyone cruised on the Golden Princess to the Southern Caribbean during this time?

Also, I've read and been told by my travel agent that Carnival just doesn't compare to Princess. I've read alot of poor reviews about the ship and the staff of the Carnival Destiny.

Any comments?

Heather
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have had free champage on every Princess cruise (5) the night they do the champage waterfall....Usually the 2nd formal night. None of these trips was on New Years Eve. They come around with trays of it along with some munches...Both on the Royal in Euope and the North Atlantic as Well on the Star in Alaska.
Old December 19th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Happy Camper

Carnival just took over Princess so make sure of the age thing. The age thing is in place for a reason and I did go during spring break on a carnival ship and will NOT do it again. (I'll sail Carnival But not during Spring Break!)The people of your age group tour the ship up! It was horrible. And worst yet since I was only about 27 at the time a lot of people thought I was part of the group to be avoided! 2000 spring breakers (college) and 1000 of us trying our best to avoid them!!! It was the Destiny out of Miami. They were destructive, rude, drunk and violent. A very dangerous combination. If I were you I'd go with the older crowd and enjoy. Debbie
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Pea

Lilafilly -

The Southern Caribbean itinerary will be new for the Golden Princess in May. We will be on the first sailing, Southern Caribbean Explorer, on May 9th.

I have sailed the Grand Princess twice in May and once in June. Both times, there were not large numbers of children roaming the ship as happens during the spring breaks and during the summer months. May and June are more ideal times if you want to cruise with fewer children, because parents are more apprehensive to pull their children out of school so close to the end of the school year. Our last cruise was the frist week of June and there were not many children onboard.

I am really looking forward to this Southern Caribbean itinerary,a s we will be going to a lot of ports we've never been to before. I hear that another port, possibly Isla Marguerita may be substituted for Caracas, Venezuela due to the political unrest in that country.

I would say the average age on the cruises I have been on Princess has been in the 40s.

Pea
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Pea
Have a great time! We'll we greeting y'all when you get home as we leave on the 16th on the Golden. Don't destroy the ship okay? Hee hee! :-)

We just want a fun crowd, not a bunch of blue hairs (no offense).

Happy Holidays!

Heather
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Jennifer Crouch

We are going on the Carribbean Princess on Sept 25th. We have a roll call board going and it seems like the majority of people on that board that are going are mid thirties and forties. I think you get the older crowds on the longer 10+ itineraries (sp?). We too are mid thirties and Royal Carribbean was nice also. I think you would be fine with princess, Carnival can have more singles and partiers from what I understand, however, my parents love it....go figure. Hope this helps. Jen