Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:05 AM
Frank

Default Star dropping a formal night?

I've heard that passengers on recent Star Princess 14 day cruises are finding out that there are only 2 formal nights instead of the 3 that their documentation mentions. To some, this is no big deal, but I know my wife not only looks forward to the formal nights but she packs differently for each one. If they did drop a night, we'd have extra clothes packed that we'd never use. On a 14 day cruise with pre-cruise and post-cruise days, every bit of space one can save is worthwhile. I don't mind if Princess makes this change as much as I mind not finding out until we get on board.

We experienced a similar situation on last April/May's Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess. The ladies were irate and got all over the purser. One lady started a petition and had over 200 signatures gathered before Princess relented and put the third night back on the agenda.

I experienced another situation with an Alaskan cruise when Princess did away with semi-formal nights. Again, no big deal but I sure wouldn't want to pack a sport coat that I'd never use.

So, I'd like to find out how many days Princess is really having on their 14 day Star Princess cruises, not what is in their publications, so we can pack a little less.
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Toto

Default Re: Star dropping a formal night?

We have actually run into just the opposite within the past year. The Docs said two formal nights on the Crown but we ended up having three. Not too terrible until you think that we had booked a back to back. Instead of 4 we had 6! ARG!
Old January 14th, 2004, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Star dropping a formal night?

On my AUS/NZ 14 day cruise, there were three formal nights.
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Star dropping a formal night?

Thanks. Our documents confirm 3 formal nights on our upcoming NZ-AUS cruise. However, a phone call from Princess reiterated that the Ship's officers have the authority to change this if they see fit.

Did you embark in Auckland? If so, was embarkation the grueling chore that I recall hearing about?
Frank-in-CA