Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Frank

Default How much local cash in Aus & NZ?

We'll be spending a few days pre cruise in Auckland and post cruise in Sydney plus getting off at varioius ports between. We plan to pay for most things we buy with credit cards but I'm wondering how much I might need in local currencies for small items and tips. I realize tipping is not done in these countries but there should be something for the bellman that lugs one's bags and for little incidentals. How much would one need and what it the best way to obtain these amounts?
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Feyd

Default Re: How much local cash in Aus & NZ?

Best way we found to get cash in Oz and NZ was the same way we do it here....go to the ATM. Punch in the amount you want and it gives you the local currency....We felt so rich everytime we did this. It converts your bank balance into Oz dollars, adding a substantial amount to your bottom line!!!
Old January 10th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Frank

Default Re: Re: How much local cash in Aus & NZ?

OK, that's what I'll do. I presume it's OK to leave any excess as part of the tips at the end of the cruise?
Frank-in-CA
Old January 14th, 2004, 12:33 AM

Default Re: How much local cash in Aus & NZ?

I just got back from the Dec 20 AUS/NZ sailing. The ship actually has an onboard currency conversion machine that will change your AUS/NZ currency to USD minus a handling charge (i think USD$1.50).

As far as spending money is concerned, seems like pretty much everyone accepted at least VISA/MC. Small cash would only be useful for things like snack, transportation fare, and guide tipping if you choose to do so.
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: How much local cash in Aus & NZ?

Thanks for the information. Under two weeks now until we leave.
Frank-in-CA