Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Frank

Default Elite Status

Anyone hear anything about the new "Elite" status that Princess is coming out with? The highest level to date is Platinum which one receives after completing 6 cruises. The nicest benefit from this is free internet. Indications are that the Elite level will be for those completing 15 or more cruises. However, I haven't heard what the benefits will be for that level.

I have a problem with loyalty based on the number of cruises. I believe it should be based on the numbers of days cruised. Or do like Celebrity does - if one takes a 14 day cruise, they get credit for taking 2 cruises.
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Elite Status

I totally agree, some people who live near a port can take those last minute cheapo deals( no airfare to deal with) and cruise on some 3 day cruise, for something like 299$ Meanwhile someone else invests 5,000 $ on a 30 day cruise and they only get credit for ONE cruise!! That is just wrong!
Old January 12th, 2004, 06:48 PM
First Mate

I agree completely. Elite level should be based only upon number of days cruised. I think 100 would be a nice number to start with.

Old January 12th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Jason H

I asked last month and they said the implementation of the new level was pushed on the back burner while they work on marketing for the 3 new ships coming out this spring/summer.
Old January 13th, 2004, 12:39 AM
cruise lover

I think that the elite status should not only be based on the number of days cruised but also on the value of each cruise. This would seem more fair for those taking longer cruises and paying more.
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Elite Status

>I think that the elite status should not only be based on the number of days cruised but also on the value of each cruise. This would seem more fair for those taking longer cruises and paying more.<

Although your suggestion has merit, I think it might be very difficult to implement. It would require having various factors for anything above an inside cabin. And if newbie Joe paid the same for an inside cabin compared to the great deal you got on a suite, how would this be "valued"?

I'll settle for the use of days vs. cruises. They probably won't be able to do this though as they don't have the data to start the clock and would have to rely on each Captain's Circle member to provide this information. But since this is on the back burner, it gives us all time to write to Princess and voice our feelings about number of days vs. number of cruises. It would coincide with the award criteria that they use on board at the Captain's Circle parties.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
cruise lover

Actually Frank. it is not that difficult to track the number of cruise days and the price you paid. All the airlines do it now in their reward programs as do the major hotels.
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:05 PM
SF Sharon

I am a Platinum level member of Princess and if I can find a great deal, then all the better. I don't want to see Elite level tied to the price paid for a cruise, and I also have no problem with keeping the various levels tied to number of cruises as opposed to number of days. I can understand why cruise lines might prefer to keep number of cruises as opposed to number of days, also, since passengers who book several 7-14 day cruises as opposed to say, one 28-day cruise, are more likely to purchase more than one air package for several cruises, and would only purchase one air package (or land cruisetour) packages for the one longer cruise.
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Frank

>Actually Frank. it is not that difficult to track the number of cruise days and the price you paid. All the airlines do it now in their reward programs as do the major hotels.<

It is not difficult going forward but how would they know how many days you've cruised over the past 20 years or so?
Frank-in-CA
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Frank

>I can understand why cruise lines might prefer to keep number of cruises as opposed to number of days, also, since passengers who book several 7-14 day cruises as opposed to say, one 28-day cruise, are more likely to purchase more than one air package for several cruises, and would only purchase one air package (or land cruisetour) packages for the one longer cruise.<

Sharon:
I doubt there is much profit in the air portion anymore. Off setting the cruise tour packages would be the extra shore excursions taken on longer cruises.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Mike & Charlotte

Default Re: Re: Re: Elite Status

Frank, I don't know how, I just know that they can. Mike and I had somehow slipped through the cracks and not been joined to the Captain's Circle club for the first couple of cruises. When I called, they went back into their computer, found our name and first cruise on Princess, then proceeded to tell me, not just when and where and on what we'd cruised, but also the ones we'd cancelled! So, they've got in info somewhere; it would just require somebody to write a program to gather it all together and re-figure the person's status. Well, status sounds kinda snooty; they pay people to come up with better terminology.

Charlotte
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Elite Status

Charlotte:
That is interesting - you mean they even had your old Sitmar cruises? I know other lines do not and had to rely on the honor system for previous information. (G)
Frank