Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Mickie

Default Disembarcartion the no checked luggage

what is the hold up in disembarcation if you have no bags that you put out in the hall or have to claim? It seems that keeping you aboard the ship once it has been cleared in akin to detaining you against your will.
Does anyone know how the luggage situation affects this since presumably you would have no tags?
Has anyone done this? and if so how was it handled?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM
10X

Default Re: Disembarcartion the no checked luggage

I think its probably an orderly thing to do.

Usually the pier facility does not have sufficient space to put out everyone's bag at the same time, therefore, only a portion of the bags can be available at any one time to be claimed. The bags with, let's say, red tags are put out, then passenegers with red color tags can disembark and have a reasonable chance of locating their bag. When red is gone, or about gone, perhaps the bags with green tags are put out, and so on. This also eliminates the entire compliment of ship's passengers all crowding into a signle space and all trying to look for their bags at once. I'm sure there would be a lot of pushing, screaming, and hot tempers if this were to happen. I know I wouldn't want any part of that scene. I'd rather be waiting in a comfortable lounge until my color is called.

In addition, I suspect that Customs can only handle so many passengers and bags at once so they must be allowed to do their thing. After all, that's what we're paying them for.
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Mickie

Default Re: Re: Disembarcartion the no checked luggage

That is all very interesting but has nothing to do with my quesiton which was
What happens if you have no bags to claim?
when are you allowed to disembark in that case? and has anyone done this.
That is what I asked.
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Disembarcartion the no checked luggage

You might want to post this on the cruise lines that have nudist cruises. Most folks sailing have luggage.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Mickie - many cruise lines base your time of debarkation on your flight departure times, post cruise tour times, and if you are driving or not. Those on ship sponsored excursions and early flight departures are allowed to debark earlier than others.

Carnival does allow passengers without luggage or those who wish to carry off their luggage off the ship to debark early, but it has been reported that this has tied up debarkation for other passengers as people are trying to lug off a lot of luggage to avoid waiting an hour or so to debark. This has really impacted those with early flights who are not allowed off because they put their luggage out to be collected the night before. I think this practice is really not a good idea.

I honestly have no idea what those without luggage would do.....I think that if you are on line other than Carnival you will have to wait depending on the time of your return flight.

Old January 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Yeoman

On all the ships and lines I've been on (CCL,RCCL,HAL, Celebrity) I have never been checked for a called color when disembarking. I have always waited my turn because my luggage was taken the night before. 10X is correct on the reasoning. Due to no luggage to pick up or take off, you could just walk off the ship when the 1st tag is called.
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Pea

We were actually checked for our tag colors on my last Grand cruise and they would not allow you to disembark early. Something was holding up disembarkation and we didn't leave the ship until about 10am.

On the way out, you are still kept in line, with people checking various documents at different points, until you get to the room with the luggage. So, many people opt to take their bulky luggage with them, rather than set it out the night before and cause a problem by making the lines longer, due to needing extra space for their luggage.

If you want to disembark earlier, just go to the purser the night before and ask for red tags. Tell them whatever story you think will work to get the tags.

Pea