Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default PHYSICAL ABUSE BY PRINCESS GROUND CREW

As I have stated i eariler posts, I have Multiple sclerosis, episodes brught on by stress, fatigue, etc. After getting up at 3AM to catch a 4:30 Am flight from Pensacla to Ft. Laderdale, we were delayed approximately 2 hours under sun broke through. No problems, right? Wen I arrived in Atlanta, my TA, Delta, and Princess on a conference call all reiterated that many people were in the came predicament and not to worry, that the ship would wait for us. HA HA HA! When I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale by wheelchair, I was met by four women, one who I could actually understand as my high school Spanish failed me. Not only were they in my face screaming, but the one causcasion grabbed my arm and slung me araound. Normally, being martially arts trained, that would have been the last thing she did. But I was feeling so tired, fatigued, and could barely speak, I took my service dog (with her bright rest vest on) outside so she could potty. From them on it becomes a blue. Not only had these 4 ladies called Broward Co. Sheriff Deputy, but he informed me that if I didn't get back into he terminal he would arrest me, take my dog to the pound and have her put to sleep. By this time I was only able to crawl. what an insensitive clod/ Then to add insult to injuty, I was ordered in the back of a while car, with a man I had no clue who he was, and down the road we went 85-90 MPH. I asked him to please slow down as the speed limit was 55. He stated he was just keeping up with traffice. Whn we arrived at a HOliday Inn he threw my bags on the gound, ordered me out of the car, and threw a piece of yellow paper at the manager at Holiday INn. The people at the Holiday inn were wonderful(if you could speak spansh) and called a Miami Springs Officer to help sort things out. This was Saturday night. I finally picked up the ship on Tuesday at St. Maarten, in a full-blown ms episode so basically I had only one day to actually walk around th see what I had missed. I would warn any disabled prospective cruisers to take another ship/line. I have the marks the bruises where the ground crew women and the deputy stomped on my body, all because I had an M.S. episode an could not communicate clearly. Luckily the captain called my friend and me into his office, had already started an investigation, and shared with us that the same woman manhandled several other passngers the same day. Hopeflly she will be filed, and spend her last days working in a convenience store. Never again will I go on Princess Cruise Line. Ever.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Default Re: PHYSICAL ABUSE BY PRINCESS GROUND CREW

Why would you fly to Atanta when you could of drove and get to the ship in a few hours? Princess has busses that pick up throuhout the state and have special busses for wheelchair passengers.

When ships are aware of groups of passegers arriving late they usually wait. You stated during the conference call there was a group of passengers in the same situation. What happened to the rest of these people on your flight that was late?

If the ground crew abused you why did'nt you advise the sheriff's deputy's? I would not think that both ground crew and police would be abuse a disable passenger...........that seems very odd.

Who could have been at the airport to drive you to a hotel? Was it a taxi?
Old January 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Pea

It is outrageous you were treated so horribly! Were the 4 ladies part of Princess or were they part of a shuttle group? You never really explained that. Why did they call the sheriff over? Why did he insist you get back in the terminal. Was there some sort of security issue going on that maybe you didn't know about or were aware of? I mean he must have already been there when you went outside with you dog. You should have gotten that officer's badge number and filed a compalint against him.

Why didn't you know what was going on with the white car? I think your exhaustion played a huge part in your not understanding exactly what was going on and not being able to say "wait a minute...I'm not going anywhere until I know what is going on". It sounds like this guys was a limo driver (that's what they call hired cars in that area), probably hired by Princess to get you to your hotel room. And believe me, it seems they all drive like that, so this really isn't within Princess's control.

As far as calling these people "Princess Ground Crew", I don't think anyone involved in your mistreatment was actually employed by Princess. Princess may have hired these people in good faith to get you to a hotel, etc, since the ship had already left. Therefore, you need to notify Princess how you were abused by these people so they don't use these people anymore. Is it ultimately Princess's responsibility? Yes. And I bet if you let them know, they will not pass the buck. But, is the actual mistreatment their fault? No...these people were individual contractors and it could have happened to any cruiseline who used their services.

I hate to say it, but if you can get so fatigued that you can barely speak, barely crawl and cannot defend yourself, even verbally, against people who are abusing you, then perhaps it would be better not to travel alone. Many times in air travel or vacation travel, things happen. The best of us get exhausted and it must be brutal on someone with MS. This is one reason why most of us choose to arrive the day before and avoid the stress of possibly missing the ship. Many of us have had to learn by experience, as you just have.

Pea
Old January 18th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Jason H

Something tells me we don't know the whole story. Betty has been negative about this cruise way before she arrived on the ship if you look at her past posts. I agree, if you are that sick, you shouldn't get on a ship or you should travel with someone. Also, a common thread on cruise boards is if you are going to fly, always fly the day before.
Old January 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Passenger

I, too, am sorry for your experience. It is too bad that the friend travelling with you could not assist with the situation and avoid all of the difficulties.

I am confined to a wheelchair due to MD. I disembarked the Island Princess on 1-15-04 and the entire day I felt like a valued guest! They assisted me (and my group) until we met the van for the transfer. One individual with Princess, Mary B. was absolutely outstanding. In fact, I insisted on getting her name so that I could sent a positive note for her personnel file. She was a calming assist when 2000 people with luggage are going 2000 directions and the ship is preparing for 2000 new passengers.

I can tell you are frustrated, probably at the MS, understandably so. Often times when I get that way it is easiest to take it out on those nearest me and those situations often snowball into something worse.

I am sorry for your perception of the situation. I plan many cruises in the future and since Princess does such an outstanding job with handicapped passengers, I wouldn't consider a different line. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Equally important is that I take responsibility for MY limitatrions. It is not Princess' fault that I am in a wheelchair. They go way above and beyond the services legally required by them.

I wish you luck in the future and in EVERTHING, put the best construction on things!
Old January 18th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to TERRY C
Default Re: Re: PHYSICAL ABUSE BY PRINCESS GROUND CREW

Hello All,

I have seen Betty post on other boards about Princess.
I beleive there is more to this story than we will ever know.
It seems to me she is trying to create bad PR for Princess.

This is just my view after read this and seeing other posting's

Thanks for listening
Cruising Golden Feb 7th

Caribbean Princess
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: PHYSICAL ABUSE BY PRINCESS GROUND CREW

There seems to be alot of this story missing. This just sounds like too much bad luck for one person. I have never, never heard anything this negative about Princess and I suspect that there are key pieces of info that have been (?conveniently) excluded.
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Yeoman

Where was her friend in all this, I mean I can understand that she was too tired and ill to "defend " herself, but why wasn't her travel compainion capable of helping. Her post doesn't even make sense because it just sounds like she got off the plane and these four ladies just attacked her!???? I don't get it. I agree there is more to the story . and quite frankly I don't know if I care since she has announced she will not ever be on a Princess cruise agian , so I won't ever have to deal with her.
She also leaves out how the rest of her holiday went, I guess she was determined it would suck and so it did.

There again, although the "Princess employees" were apparently insane, she also encountered an insane sherriff!?? How much "bad luck" does one person get, I mean what are the chances of meeting 5 abusive and insane( attacking a disabled person for no reason at all) people does one meet?
Old January 18th, 2004, 08:04 PM
nini

You should not travel alone in your condition. You must take the responsibility for your travel needsnot all those you meet along the way.

YOu should fly in the day before ....Too many things can go wrong that can delay your arrival. YOu can't expect a ship to wait for YOU. (I'm close friends with one of the captains and beleive me - he wouldn't wait for me either with 2000 other people already onboard that managed to get there on time!)

I'm finding all this abuse a bit hard to believe. Often times those who are the problem want to put blame on those that are not overly anxious to take the abuse of those who feel they are entilted to be treated as royalty.

Don't sail Princess anymore.. My guess is they'll be happy about it too!
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

A lot of facts are missing from this story. I would like to hear from those accused of "abuse".......I bet we would have a different picture of what actually happened. And, where was her companion/friend who is mentioned in other posts? I am a health care professional and deal with those with all kinds of disabilities every day, and this just seems way too off base.

Old January 19th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Horseracer

The most interesting and relevant parts of this story have not been posted. This raises a lot of red flags. I'm all for improving the ability of those who have physical limitations being able to experience the good things in life. In this case, though, I get the impression that the lady is using her handicap as a tool to garner sympathy for an eventual claim against Princess.
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Pea

I find it interesting that Betty had a similarly horrible experience with HAL in February. Anybody intersted in how that cruise went, here is a link: http://www.cruisereviews.com/Holland...Zuiderdam7.htm

Pea
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Wow - just read that review. Change the names and places and you have almost the same story verbatim.

Old January 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Yeoman

Betty I also just read your review on Holland Amercia all all I can say is " get help" and I don't mean physically. You seem to have a terrible problem interacting with people, and they all seem to attack you , or leave you lying on the ground. Why is that?? A bad thing can happen to anyone , but you seem to live to complain and I am going to assume that quite frankly people get sick of you , and stop listening to you because you are a chronic whiner. I think you have used your physical afflictions to expect everyone to cater to you in a very unreasonable way. There is always a chance of encountereing a " bad " staff member, but you apparently attract them, (in droves no less) .
I reallly hope you talk to someone who can help you, otherwise I can almost guarantee you will NEVER have a good cruise, or any other kind of vacation for that matter.

I think this goes well beyond a " cruise board " discussion, I 'm sorry for you, because I think you must be hurting deep down. I do wish you better luck next time, but remeber we can make our own "luck" Best wishes, pg.
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Passenger

Wow, just read the HAL review sounds like Betty should avoid cruises. And public places in general as it sounds like she finds trouble where ever she goes. I am wondering if Betty has found a cruise acceptable? If so please post as I am sure if it pleased her it would be the best cruise ever for the rest of us.
Old January 19th, 2004, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Ditto what 'pg' said.

Old January 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Passenger

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, is it too late to book the Titanic?

Sorry, I couldn't avoid writing that?
Old January 20th, 2004, 07:30 AM
jillhou

My mother is disabled and went on a Princess Alaskan cruise - of course, she was accompanied by my father and a caretaker and the caretaker's friend.

She said it was the most wonderful vacation. The Princess people catered to her every need. When the dining room staff saw them coming, they would rush over and not allow my dad nor the caretaker to bring her into the dining room - they would gladly do it. By the end of the week, her waiter was asking if he could cut her meat for her - and she gladly said yes (usually the caretaker or my dad did this, but the staff wanted to give them a little break, too). The room steward was very solicitous and when my dad would leave the stateroom, the steward would check on my mom. My dad never left for long with out the caretaker present, but just to run a quick errand or something - my mom was fine to be left for 10 or 20 minutes - but still the steward would check.

Dad said it was wonderful - the whole crew made it so much easier to travel with my mom (she has parkinson's disease and is unable to see to much of her own care).

SOOOOOOOOOOO if you are disabled - do not fret about going on a Princess Cruise - they are wonderful!
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Yeoman

Jilhou, So nice to hear that your mom had such a positive experience cruising, and that it allowed your father to also enjoy his trip! I believe that most staff are in fact anxious to be helpful( although I am sure there are isolated exceptions) and that cruising is in fact a good vacation for persons with disabilities.
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Passenger

I think Betty is crazy, she has no proof of any of her allegations. She should stay home.
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Passenger

jillhou, Thnaks for posting.It is really nice to hear that Princess does a great job for those who have reasonalble expectations! I am so glad your parents had a great time and hope they have many wonderful cruises in the future.
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:29 PM
Familiar Face

I have been on 13 Princess cruises and from my observation Princess caters to the disabled and treats them exceptionally well -

Betty - I suggest you find a lawyer as weird as yourself and you will both make a fortune!!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
True Brit

Boy am I glad I'm not her dog!!!!
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Ernie

Default PHYSICAL ABUSE BY PRINCESS GROUND CREW

Betty, I suggest that you stay home. I lead many groups on Princess as a travel agent and have had "wheeled people" in my group and they are handled with the utmost care and compassion on the shore and on board by Princess. The dining room staff is really the most concerned that my "wheeled people" get extra service and smiles are everywhere. I think that you basically don't like cruising and would be better off at home. Ernie