Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Roseann

Default Ship to shore phone calls

Does anyone know the least expensive way to make calls from the ship and at ports??
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Pea

Default Re: Ship to shore phone calls

If you have a cellphone and it works in foreign countries, that is the cheapest way. Otherwise, many people get a phone card for the countries they are going to be in and use them at the pay phone in port.

People can also send you email by sending to <shipname>@princess.com and putting your Name and cabin number in the subject line.

Pea
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Mbouck1
Default Re: Re: Ship to shore phone calls

On the contrary cell phones will not work in a lot of the countries. Buy a phone card at Sam's Club or Wallmarts. I usually get250 minutes for about $25 dollars. These cards will work anywhere.

Usually they will have an internet and phone room in ports. The calls are pretty cheap in these places.

You could always use the internet service on board for $7.50 for 15 minutes unless you are a platinum member and the use is free.

Mike
Sea Princess 03/01
Golden Princess 10/01
Sun Princess 03/02
Sea Princess 03/03 (final back to back cruise)
Diamond Princess 03/04 (inaugural cruise)
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Pea

Many cellular systems and phones will work in foreign countries. Many times, you just need to get this feature of your telephone turned on. Mine would have worked in Mexico, if I had been able to speak Spanish and follow the instructions! Mine didn't work in the Nassau, although my friends did...she was on AT&T. Her phone worked in every point on the Eastern and Western Caribbean itinerary, except Princess Cays and Costa Maya, as there are not cell towers in those locales.

Usually, this capability depends on the type of phone you have and what system it is operating on. Call your cellular company to find out if your phone should work in the ports you are going to and get the option turned on. My cell company does not charge just to activate the option, you only get charged when you make the calls.

Pea
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Be careful making phonecalls from your room. I sailed on another cruiseline as a first time cruiser and made a few calls from the room and was SHOCKED when I got my bill at the end of the weekend. Prices can be pricey per minute when calling from the room. We are getting phonecards for our week long cruise in November.

Karen and Brian
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Passenger

My grandmother was ill during our cruise and was let off in Victoria, we wanted to get hold of her from the ship, they told us it would be around $20.00 a minute! So we had to use email to the hospital.
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:41 AM
judy schenkman

most ports have a terminal which you walk through when you first depart. There is a bank of phones which you can use. A local individual dials for you, indicates which booth you are to enter, and connects you to your party. It is far cheaper than the ship to shore dialing feature aboard princess. Prices are given in advance. Good sailing to all. Judy