Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:25 AM
Litholam

Default Comparison to other Cruise Lines

We are looking to do a rather immediate cruise and may have to take another cruise line(Holland America or Royal Carribean). Please, if anyone could give me a comparison to Princess I would appreciate it. We are multiple cruisers on the Grand/Golden/Coral Princess.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Comparison to other Cruise Lines

Since you are very familiar with Princess, my personal choice would be Holland American - very similar in styles and level of service. Royal Caribbean is a good choice, i don't think you could go wrong with either line just that i think that Princess and Holland America are more alike, with that being said if you want the rock-climbing wall, the in-line skating track, ice skating rink, and parades then you should choose the Voyager Class ships of RCCL. Hope that my opinions help some.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Yeoman

I think that RCI is probaly a step up in activity and slightly younger line then Princess, and that Holland America is a step down in activity and slightly older crowd then Princess. So do you want to step up or step down!? Both good lines.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Horseracer

RCI has more of a theme park feel to their ships. Holland America is more traditional and dressier.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
westcoastvecs

have sailed on royal caribbean's navigator of the seas-found the whole experience phenomenal! sailing diamond princess this year-only because the rc ship of the same itinerary was booked-good luck choosing!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:03 PM
SANDY M.

Why would you want to go on another cruise line. Princess has many ships, just pick another one. Where do you want to go and when? Maybe I can help you with your decision. How many days, what destination. Maybe Panama Canal on the Island or Coral Princess, and the Golden, Dawn, Grand are doing Easter/Western Caribbean right now Regal also doing Hawaii 15 days rd. trip from Los Angeles. There are alot more , let me know what you're interested in. Celebrity is also a great cruise line.

Sandy M
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Have you completed over 5 cruises ... then you'd be platinum and get free internet on Princess. Agree with Sandy - why switch.

I've been on RCI (last time was last May on the Voyager) and the food was just so so. If you're in to climbing rock walls, you might like it ... understand they're installing them on all their ships. The pools are salt water ... they don't have team trivia, etc.

You might want to try the Island Princess now because they're switching to Hawaii I think this fall. As you probably know, it's the sister ship to the Coral ... I've been on both last year.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
Passenger

We have sailed on RCI five times and I agree that the food is only so, so and is very disappointing. However, last year we went on the Voyager and we think this is the best ship we have been on as far as fun and because of it being so unique. We don't climb rocks, or ice skate, but we went to the ice skating show and watched folks climb the rock. We love the promonade and would sit outside of the pub and people watch each day.

We went on the Vision of the Sea in October and the food was worse than in January on the Vision. This is too bad, and there is no excuse for bad food. Even though you will not starve, it is nice to go to the dining room and have a good to excellent meal.

We have been on the Grand which is our only time on Princess and we were not impressed at all. Their food was not as good as Voyager! One night we ate plates of cheese and fruit because we didn't like any of the dining room selections, and didn't want to eat steak. Although, Sabatini's was WONDERFUL and we did eat there twice.

Last year we also went on the Zuiderdam and we loved it. The food was wonderful in the dining room, alternative restaurant and at the buffet.

This year we are trying Celebrity for the first time, and we can't wait.

Joey