Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Luke Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke Send a message via Yahoo to Luke
Default Packing alcohol in luggage? (Golden)

I was wondering if anyone has packed alcohol in their luggage to make mixies in your stateroom on Princess cruises? ... My wife and I are 25 and 22 yrs old respectfully, based on the cruise lines policy, we can buy onboard. We went on the Carnival Triump last November and packed 2 bottles of rum to drink in our room ... Probably saved between $100-$200 by making our own drinks instead of buying at the bars.

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Packing alcohol in luggage? (Golden)

You can buy alcohol in the main bars to drink in your cabin It's probably the same price that you would pay at home. If they find alcohol in your luggage they will confiscate it.

Have a great sailing.
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Luke Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke Send a message via Yahoo to Luke
Default Re: Re: Packing alcohol in luggage? (Golden)

So what your saying is that say a bottle at home costs $10 ... I can buy that same bottle on the boat and take it to my room? I thought they held it until the end of the cruise, like you couldn't just buy a bottle of run in the ship store and take it to your room or up on the deck right ?
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Pea

You can buy bottles of certain liquor through the room service menus. The selection is limited and doesn't include liqueurs. But, spending a couple of bucks more per bottle is probably worth not chancing the disaster of broken bottles in the luggage that many have experienced.

Pea
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Passenger

We take plastic bottles and put insite sealed plastic bags when we've done it before on Carnival.
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Passenger

Luke: We've done the same thing on our cruises (Princess -Grand & Golden, RC & Carnival) - packed in plastic flasks & put in ziplocks (sometimes 2). Never had a problem with confiscation or breakage/leakage. We buy some drinks at bars and make some in our room. Always nice to have options. Take what you want and have a great time
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Heard it is okay to bring wine on board...also read this on another site..will bring it in my carry on..cork screw will be in my checked bags. We like a drink while dressing in the evening.
Old February 9th, 2004, 10:39 PM
pg,

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BRING WINE AND CHAMPANE ON BOARD PRINCESS. I yelled that because I am having a hard time understanding why people don't read their documents, that clearly state a reasonalbe amount of these beverages may be brought on board to enjoy in your cabin. If you wish you may also take your bottle to the dining room but you will pay a corkage fee( 10 dollars at last count)

As for smuggling, many do, I'm planning on it, they don't go through your luggage, just your carry on( yes I know they x ray your luggage but they are looking for weapons not booze and don't have time to pull each bag out that shows a bottle outline, I mean they know it could just be shampoo or mouth wash!

Some people do feel very strongly that smuggling is wrong. To each his own. Take the advise of veteren smugglers ( not us , we've only done it once , but we plan on doing it again!)and make sure you use plastic bottles and bag it twice.
Have a nice cruise.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Horseracer

I find the prices to purchase bottles on board quite reasonable. It's just one less thing to pack now, and saves a trip to the liquor store.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Passenger

pg THANKS! I keep asking about alcohol and people keep telling me it's ok to take wine and champagne?! I'm talking the fun juice, the hard stuff, lol. I went on a cruise in Nov. (dif. cruise line) and took my own no problems, just never been on Princess before ... Last cruise was Carnival, heard Princess is ALOT better ... opinions?
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Jim Booth

I've brought my own in the past, but last time on Princess I sent myself a bon voyage "gift". You can pre-order booze and it'll be waiting in your room. Prices are pretty reasonable.

To do it, go here: http://www.princess.com/onboard/sendagift/liquor.html
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Horseracer

Once you are on board, you are still going to be charged for any mixers - unless you want to cart all that on board, too. The cruise lines have gotten wise to all this (not like anyone was being fooled in the first place) and have started charging for fruit juice during the day. You reap what you sow.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
danielk.

princess told me coffee, tea, and JUICE are free. also $20 is suposed to get you all the soda, all week. another option for some is wiskey & water
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Hey Luke,
I hear ya brother! My boyfriend was a bartendar when he was in college so he makes the best drinks and although this is our first cruise we have been to many other places and always bring our favorite alcohol. This time there are two other couples with us and this will save us hundreds of dollars!

Here's to BYOB!

H