Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:41 AM
kbleist

Default Polynesian Culture Center Excursion

My husband and I will be on the Regal Princess roundtrip from LA to Hawaii on April 20th. We're considering the Polynesian Culture Center shore excursion on Oahu. We were comparing Princess' shore excusion to the Culture Center's website and trying to figure out which pieces were actually included in the excursion. Does anyone know? the shore excursion lasts from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., so I know we'd miss the Luau.
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Polynesian Culture Center Excursion

The Polynesian Cultural Center is certainly a wonderful experience. It would take about an hour to get there from Honolulu so I'm wondering what they do as the center doesn't open up until noon. With some organization, (or a guide like you get if you book the Ambassador package) you can get to see many of the "islands" and the show or demonstration at each one. Another must do is the mid afternoon show on the water where dancers from all the islands perform on platformed canoes. This is a must for the video camera. At about 530 everyone is headed for the Lua and if your tour ends at
that time you'd probably have to be on a bus at about 4 or 430.
You are also missing two of the better "events" of the day, the luau and the VERY SPECTACULAR stage show done later at night.
Just a suggestion. If you have any time in Honolulu pre or post cruise, that would be a better time to experience the whole Cultural Center .
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:51 PM
kbleist

Unfortunately, we're only on Oahu for one day, and we're meeting friends that live in Honolulu before we have to reboard the ship between 9:00 and 10:00. According the excursion description, we'd be stopping at Pali Lookout, the Dole Pineapple Pavillion, and the Mormon Temple on the way to the Center. I guess that's what would occupy our time for the morning. We're still wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with the shore excursion provided by Princess.
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Polynesian Culture Center Excursion

Once again ,I have not done the Princess excursion. Pali lookout is a beautiful sight, high above Honolulu with breathtaking views in that direction of the island. A bit windy here to say the least so leave your hat in the bus.
Dole Pineapple plantation is on your way to the north shore. It is a pretty, if not fairly commercial, stop that provides for a few good photos, some shopping, clean restrooms. Try either the pineapple whip, which is like pineapple flavored soft serve icecream and is to die for, or, buy a plate of fresh, (you will never taste better), pineapple.
If you are going this way to the Cultural Center you will also ride along the highway that passes all the famous North Shore Beaches. Ride on the left side of the bus to get the best views.
Mormons run the Cultural Center and the Temple is located next to it. This should be an interesting experience.
Have a nice time on your excursion.
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Gointothechapel

I am on the same cruise leaving on 4/5. I have registered for the Polynesian cultural center excursion because I have heard that the center is a "must do" on any terms. We might have to plan to go back some day to see the whole thing ( OH DARN!!) but I think this trip is well worth it. Looks like we get to do some sight seeing on the way there, too.

Aloha!
Cyndi
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Ron N

In addition to the Pagent of the long boats you must catch the demonstration in the Samoan village. Have been several time and will never miss this. The Somoans are called the friendly people, and they certainly prove it here.