Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:25 PM
First Mate

Default packing wine

Ok, how much is too much?? I would like to know how many bottles of wine you cruisers have been able to take with you. We ( 3 of us ) will be taking a 10 days cruise on Princess and want a guide line as to how many we may be able to take.
Thank You.
Have a great cruise all!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: packing wine

Princess doesn't seem to flinch to much they are looking for that $9.00 per bottle corking fee - thinking that most people will want to enjoy their wine with their dinner. I think that 2 -3 bottles per person would be ok. Everything in moderation. I think you might have a problem if each person tried to bring aboard say 10 bottles of wine, get my point?
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Can you take wine or beer on board to have in your cabin? My TA says that they will take until your cruise is over. Is this correct?
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
pg,

Your ta is incorrect regarding the wine, ( don't know about beer) . You are permitted to bring wine onboard for " in cabin consumption" or to enjoy in the dining room( corkage fee applies in dining room) . Have your ta READ the pre cruise documentation and the brochures!!
Hard liquor will be confiscated and returned after cruise( if they find it)!
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM
john k

Default Re: Re: packing wine

not true.....we just came off the Coral Princess and took a 'box' of wine and a 1.75 liter of vodka..Princess REQUESTS that you not bring liquor aboard. They will hold your liquor purchases at different ports though.
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:35 PM
alisar

did they take your wine?
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Passenger

We bought a red and white for each night. Don't forget there is a $10 corkage fee for each bottle; (but sometimes if you get the right server he/she let's it slip); so slip them $5 and you're still ahead. Don't pack it, but buy it where you will first board the ship. Many of the stores will deliver if you buy two cases.This was the case in Sydney.
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: packing wine

what we do is pour our gin/vodka into water bottles; if you're a scotch/whiskey drinker pour it into plastic coke bottles.
Old March 6th, 2004, 10:15 PM
DavidKade

You cheater...
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:52 PM
joe viz

You can take as much wine and water as you please. There is no limit! However, Hard liquor or soda is not allowed.
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Admiral

You can take several bottles but remember wine is quite heavy to schlepp around if you take too much.
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

What are wine prices like in Vancouver? I'd love to buy some before boarding.
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Prices are cheaper due to the dollar being so strong.
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM
pg,

Definatly buy wine in Vancouver, prices ARE cheaper, and the exchange rate puts you ahead!
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Passenger

We had 4 bottles we brought with us last year---one was very blatant in a tote (the others were packed) and there was no problem. We were charged the corkage fee in the dining room, but not in Sabatini's, where we offered a glass of our special wine to the waiter who was interested in trying it.
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Gina Peterson

See, I'm confused about this... this is what it says right on the Princess site:

"ALCOHOL POLICY
In order to help ensure the safety and well being of our passengers and crew, we are obliged to administer an alcohol policy that bans the onboard consumption of alcoholic beverages brought on the vessel by passengers and crew. All alcoholic beverages brought onboard during the entire voyage will be collected by our staff and held under bond. These items will be returned to passengers prior to disembarkation and must be declared to Customs in accordance with their regulations. Please note that liquor for stateroom consumption is available for purchase from specific locations on each ship (see In- Stateroom Amenities)."

I think "ban" is a bit stronger than "request"... or this just legal cya stuff, and they really don't care? My folks will be cruising with me next time, and they were wanting to bring a couple bottles of wine to enjoy in their stateroom, but my mother is terrified that they will confiscate it at the terminal and make her feel like a criminal.

What's the real deal with the alcohol policy?

-gina-
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:03 PM
First Mate

It does say you can bring wine or champagne if you are celebrating a special occasion. You will be charged a corkage fee if you choose to drink it at dinner. I have always brought on wine (2-3 bottles) and just had them in our room to drink on the verandah and not had any problem. I was just wondering this time around how many bottles I can bring before someone does say something.
Have a great cruise all!!
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Stupidest policy I've ever read...so tell me the difference between someone bringing on their own alcohol and drinking it versus sitting at the bar all day and getting plastered?

The difference?....Princess doesn't make money if you bring your own!
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Read the frequently asked questions link on Princess---last time I looked it said you could bring wine.
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Gina Peterson

That is where I got that direct quote in my above post... from the faq, dining section. Just two days ago.
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Passenger

fyi, just got my pre-cruise documents for our June 12 Caribbean Princess Cruise and they said you can bring wine on board.
Old April 9th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: packing wine

When getting to the port from the Ft. Lauderdale airport, has anyone asked a cab driver to stop at the Publix ? Does Publix sell wine? I would like to make one stop to buy bottled water and wine. Anyone with some helpful tips? Thank you.
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Here...Again

The risk that concerns me is breakage and spilling. I just don't want my clothing or luggage damaged by having a liter bottle bust open when the longshoreman tosses it onto my soft-sided luggage. A more effective policy might be to permit whatever you can carry on, but to discourage checking it.
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Passenger

the little airlinetype liquor bottles always worked for me. You can stuff them in shoes, socks you name it and they are plastic so they will not shatter. Also they are small so you can take quite a variety and not get stuck drinking the same stuff during the entire cruise. Also if one were to open up by accident the damage would be limited vs a 1 liter bottle.

Hope this helps
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:36 PM
cruising plantlady

We just brought 7 bottles from Wisconsin. We like a cheap brand not easily found. No breakage but our luggage did excede the 50 lb limit and it cost us an extra $50.ouch. I would recommend breakfast on the balcony. Ask your stewart for wine glasses and drink it with breakfast. Ah, what a way to start a day on the ship. enjoy
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM
L.R.

Just off the Diamond, here are our experiences re: alcohol.

WINE: We took 3 bottles in our carry on luggage. No one checked, no one cared. We asked our room guy to bring us two wine glasses and we enjoyed a glass in our room PLUS we would take a glass to dinner with us. No corkage fee!

BEER: We did not take any but in P.Vallarta the couple in front of us bought two 6-packs of beer on shore and carried them in a see-thru bag. They walked right onto the ship and didn't even need to pass them thru the x-ray machine.

BOOZE: We did the old vodka/rum in big water bottles trick (even 'reloaded' at Walmart in P.Vallarta) and had no problems. We even bought a 14% margarita mix and got back onto the ship without confiscation. (Last cruise we bought a huge blue bottle of tequila and they didn't confiscate it either.)

MOST BIZARRE FACT: Quite contrary to the brochure/shipboard rules/whatever you call them, we bought three 1-litre bottles of rum for only $7 each at the duty-free shop on board the ship and they did not hold it until the end of the cruise but let us take it to our room!!! Why would anyone buy a $8-$10 martini on board if you can buy a litre of rum for $7 a few decks below??? Weird stuff my friends, weird stuff indeed!!!

I think they must post rules to comply with Federal laws but in reality they don't give a damn what people do with their alcohol. All the better I say!
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Really enjoyed reading all of the posts regarding bringing wine aboard. You all with lots of cruise experience give us rookies much to ponder. Yes, Publix does sell wine at a reasonable rate and I'm sure your cab driver would stop there for you on the way to Port Everglades.
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Joannie

We were on the Diamond too. We wondered about the on board liquor store. The Russian Vodka was so inexpensive. So we watched to see if they let people take it to their rooms. There was signs everywhere that they "hold" it for you til the end of the cruise. We saw some people buy it and then walk out without it. So we assumed that the actually did hold it. I guess we were wrong! Wish I had known.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Cookie

wine is quite inexpensive in vancouver, as well there are many local british columbian wines from the okanagan valley that are some of the best around, some of my favorite wineries include Gray Monk, St. Hubertus, Quails Gate and Summerhill
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Passenger

We just got back from the Diamond 4-10 sailing. I have no problem with the Chardonay that comes in a box, so we packed a box of wine in our checked luggage, then when we got to our room we just took the "bladder" out of the box and it fit great in the mini-fridge. A glass of wine on the balcony was very relaxing after a non-stop day of trivia, shopping or whatever. We gave the leftover to our cabin steward (plus a little extra gratuity because he was worth it) .
Janelle