Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Leanne

Default Princess Cays-rentals

We'll be on the May 1 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. Was just wondering if it was worth renting a kayak or paddle boat on Princess Cays. Also, do they have lockers on the island? Any info would be appreciated. Can't wait!!

Thanks,

Leanne
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Princess Cays-rentals

I dont remember any lockers but I also didnt have a need for one. The beach area is pretty small and you dont bring alot ashore. Renting the paddle boats are ok but the small cat. or sunflower sail boats are great. They give you instructions before you leave and there isn't much to it. It was great, plus if you get to far out of cant get back they come and get you on seadoos. other than that there is beach volleyball and music, plus a pretty fair snorkel area. I a nice day at the beach.
Old March 9th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Addy

Default Re: Re: Princess Cays-rentals

First Cuise coming up April 4th - Grand Princess so I will have lots of questions I am sure - the first being about Princess Cay -

Just would like to find out about shady areas. Have plenty of sunscreen, but still have to stay out of sun as much as possible due to medical reasons. Once you go out to PCays, do you have to stay there the whole day or are there times when you can go back to the ship during the day.

Thanks
Old March 9th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Pea

They have some areas with thatched roof umbrellas set up. You have to make sure to get there early if you want to get one of those. We had one with a table, which was nice.

You can go back to the ship any time during the day.

On an off note, last year when we were at Princess Cays, there was a storm off in the distance over the ocean. I saw a water spout develop. It was awesome! Then 4 more spouts developed beside it. It sure was an amazing sight. Some kids on the island were worrying (since waterspouts are tornadoes over water), but their parents assured them that everything would be okay.

Pea
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Addy

Thanks, Pea. What do you suggest, get in line early for the tender and then when you get off, what direction should we head in. Sounds like those ladies looking for bargins at store opening time (). Just would like some direction as without shade, I am back on the ship within a couple of hours and would like to enjoy the day, especially the morning on PC.
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Passenger

I just went to Princess Cays last week. That day we had breakfast at the buffet at 7:30 and then went to the explorer's lounge to get a tender ticket number and tendering ashore started at 8:15. They call about 100 people at a time, so by getting to explorer's lounge a few minutes after 8:00 we were on the second boat out at about 8:25. Being one of the first boats we had out pick of chairs, but even still there were plenty of available chairs all day long but the ones in shade seem to get grabbed early.

When you get off the tender boats you can go left or right. To the right there is the buffet, a covered bar, volleyball court and swimming areas. This side had less people so if you like seclusion and quiet it is for you. This side was also more windy. Also if you have mobility issues (a walker or pushing a stroller) to go to the left you you have to go up stairs and then cross a bridge.

To the left are the gift shops, water sports rentals, the bigger of the 2 bars (this one had live music all day while the other bar just played recorded music), lots more chairs, a volleyball court, a playground, and is where they had beach games around noon. If you like live music get a seat near the bar. Also the bar has a large covered area with some tables so that is another shade option that wasn't crowded.
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Addy

Thanks KeithR. Sounds great. Go to the right in the morning and then head for the big bar in the early afternoon.
I am not copying and pasting all this info into a Word document and will study and bring with me. Thanks again. Less than 30 days to go........
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Princess Cays is great! There is a nice bricked pathway that leads you all around.Plenty of lounge chairs sunny and shaded.All the action is to the left. Nice clean restrooms. It was cool and cloudy when we went, still had a really good day relaxing walking around, just vegging-out. The kids went on a banana boat ride and loved it. Always a lively game of volleyball or pool to be had.
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Noonshell

Are there any hammocks on Princess Cays? Are they in the shade? Where do you rent the water equipment--on the ship or at Princess Cays? What food do they serve? Is it true that there is water available for free or is there a charge? The picture in the brochure looks beautiful.
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:57 PM
ESS

Some complain about the food on the Princess Cays. but we enjoyed it. My wife declared the barbecue chicken the best she ever had. They also had hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwurst, and a few other entrees. It is not the Horizon buffet, but the operative word is barbecue. Even if there is no free water,I do recall that they do have other drinks such as tea.
I don't remember any lockers on the Cays, but there was not a crime wave while we were there. We left our stuff on our lounge chair while we both went snorkeling.
I would head to the left when you get off the tender. We discovered that the fish congregate on the left side under the observation pier. I would purchase my own snorkel gear in advance and use it. In that way you are not getting rental junk, and you can use it again and again. Others who do not wish to bring all snorkel gear purchase a snorkel and rent the rest. In that way one doesn't have to use a snorkel that was just used by someone else a few hours before.
Have a good time.
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:45 AM
ckay40

Wow I am going to be on the same cruise as you, We are from Vancouver and flying out with these great friends. It should be a blast, maybe we will meet up on the ship at some point
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Admiral

answers: No hammocks just really nice lounge chairs, there are palm trees all around to find some shade.
Yes there are water jugs all over the island with free water. Its cold and its really good
You can rent your "water toys" on the ship in advance - good idea some go really fast. Or you can rent on the island - there is a water sports booth you go to .It to the left as you get off the tenders
The food is basic barbecue - chicken, hot dogs, burgers, baked beans etc, fresh fruit, dessert and full bar.
Its a very pretty island- very neat and clean.
Don't recall lockers -didn't bring anything but towels, camera, sign and sail card and a bit of cash - local vendor booths on island take cash - they are independants. Just covered it up with the towel and really didn't worry about it.
Nice clean restrooms.
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:22 PM
first timers 4-3

Where is the best snorkeling at Princess Cay? Also is the food on the island free like on the ship or do you pay on land? Can't wait, only 21 days. One more question, how will embarking be with the golden (ours) and I think the grand going out the same day in Lauderdale? Sounds like the makings of a zoo atmosphere.