Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Lindsay421

Default clothing in alaska

Hey im going to alaska on the sapphire princess in july. I dont know what type of clothes to pack. Sweatshirts or tank tops? Im confused! Also is anyone going on this cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: clothing in alaska

You need a variety of WARM layers. AND a lightweight lined nylon type jacket, key is quick drying. Take sweatshirts, turtlenecks, tshirts. Knit hat, gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear. I never take jeans- too bulky, tend to get and stay damp and take forever to dry. For me lined and unline wind pants are perfect. I also always do my laundry off ship in Skagway - can be done in a little over an hour with their fast propane dryers- never mind the great conversations I have gotten in to. You can alway head to the Red Onion for a fast drink and return. Yes bring a tank top and shorts- there can be that much of a range. But most people are underprepared and it will greatly affect your trip.
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:40 PM
DICK STEIN

We are on the Sapphire in June. Dress warm as you will spend alot of time around big pieces of moving ice.

till I sail on the Sapphire Princess
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Yeoman

We wore jeans and saw many others wearing them also. Dress is more casual than on other cruises. It is colder near the glaciers, so plan on layers.

Carnival Inspiration
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:42 PM
susancruzs

Layers is the key! I overpacked for Alaska, didn't take a good mix of clothes and ended up buying a couple of short sleeve tees. When you are in town, it can be warmer than you would expect so that's where layers are handy.

It can be as warm as middle sixties and then as you cruise along a glacier or fjord quite cold. Gloves and a hat are not a bad thing to have either.

When I go back, I'll take my jacket with the zip out liner and definitely a hooded sweat shirt.

Susie
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Lindsay421

Thank all of you guys soooo much!!! Your advice really helped me a lot! Now i pretty much know what to pack. LindaE- I noticed that you said that dress in alaska is a lot more casual than on other cruises.....is this also so for the formal dinner nights? I really dont want to over dress or under dress. Thank you!
Old March 15th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Admiral

It's darn casual during the day on ANY cruise. But formal nights will still have the majority of passengers dressed in blacks and jackets for men.
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Yeoman

On formal nights, we saw more people in what I'd call good Sunday clothes than in formal attire. The men did wear suits primarily. Also, a lot of passengers were in jeans or jogging suits in public areas other than the dining room.

Carnival Inspiration