Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:35 PM
virgincruiser

Default 5/22 Diamond Princess Alaska

It is our very first ever cruise and I have some questions, if anyone can help...How much daylight in Alaska during the end of May? Are there different shows each night? What speed film to buy and what are the best binoculars to buy? I am so nervous, we are leaving Seattle for 7 day cruise. Will the pools be open or is it too cold? Anyone else cruising with us on this new Diamond ship? Please reply...
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:57 PM
DICK STEIN

Default Re: 5/22 Diamond Princess Alaska

I have done 6 Alaska cruises and usually cruise in May. You will have high temperatures in the 50's during the day and below freezing at night. Dress warm. You will not be spending much time in the pool. Film-what is that. Dosen't everyone have a digital camera. I get 128 pictures on a little chip and down load it into a CD when I get home and start all over. Go to Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the Red dog Saloon, Take the train trip in Skagway, See the Totems and Saxman Village in Ketchikan and I would go to the Butchart gardens in Victoria but you may not have time due to when Diamond leaves. Don't be nervous, just enjoy. This next one is our 15 Princess cruise and we haven't had a bad one. Can't say that about the other line we have cruised.

on the Sapphire Princess
Old March 14th, 2004, 08:45 PM
virgincruiser

Default Re: Re: 5/22 Diamond Princess Alaska

Thank you Dick Stein, your comments are a great help...What is the digitial camera that you have, we have tried 3 brands with not much luck. An entire vacation was not captured and we went through $100+ in batteries. They would die in a matter of hours..
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Virgin, the Diamond has a beautiful covered pool in case of poor weather -- in fact, it has nicer chaise lounges.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:26 PM
SharB

Virgin,
We bought rechargeable batteries for our digitial camera (three sets) and rotate them through the charger. We always have one set on the charger, and two sets with us.

Be sure to get a camera with removable batteries and invest in the extra sets. We have a Canon and it's very user friendly.

Shar
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Admiral

As mentioned, be well prepared for the weather- including a lined lightweight jacket, 2 pair of walking shoes, layers, knit hat , gloves. Daylight excellent dusk around 10pm end of May. Yes different shows every night- but sometimes it will pay to be up early either viewing scenery or getting off the ship. You are best to take a range of film, 200 and 400 should be enough. If you are using a long lens- then a roll or two of 800. A great deal depends what you want the binoculars for- if marine wildlife watching (requires a GREAT deal of time invested out on a front deck) then a wide angle is necessary with my preference 10x50. Any binocular you purchase be certain to try them out- outside and pick a pair that you like. Scenery can get away with a bigger "range" of binoculars.