Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Ingrid T.

Default Waitlisted for Traditional Dining

Just made my final payment for my cruise for 6/12 to Eastern Caribbean. When I checked my booking status on Princess.com Waitlisted w/number was listed next to Dining Also I was listed as a Princess Captain Gold passenger what does this mean?? I am a first time cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Waitlisted for Traditional Dining

The last Princess cruise we were on we were signed up for traditional dining. We changed to personal choice after the second night. Personal choice on Princess worked very well for us. We liked that you could still be at a large table and could adjust your dining time to your needs for that particular day.

We loved Sabatini's for dinner and for the at sea brunch. It's well worth the splurdge for that special occasion.

I kust think they erred. As I recall gold means you were on at least one other Princess cruise. You'll get a few little perks for being a gold member. Just enjoy them
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Traditional dining books up fast - not surprised that you are waitlisted. If you really want to do traditional dining - you need to see the Maitre D first day to see if any tables have opened up in either early or late seating, otherwise you will have to use Anytime Dining which has exactly the same menu and service as traditional dining, you just pick the time you want to eat. Its a good idea to make reservations during peak dinner hours or if you find a wait team and table that you love you can request them.
Golden members mean that you or someone in your party has cruised Princess before. This will entitle you to a cocktail party by invitation only with the Captain and crew. Its fun. Enjoy.
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:13 PM
L.R.

Default Gold member too

Hmmm, I am also listed as Gold member...but the last time I cruised with Princess was back in the early 90's...it was with my family, and my dad paid for everything. I can't believe they would remember me, but that's all the better!

Yeah, it seems this dining thing is what has people going crazy on all the boards. I signed up for traditional seating back in September for our April 3 cruise. I like the idea of having a secure dinner seat with the option of choosing from the other menus and of course dining at the other restaurants once or twice if I so choose. Best of both worlds.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Hope you are more fortunate than about 500 people on the Star Princess that went from Auckland to Sydney in February. That's how many were waitlisted and pretty upset that they didn't get traditional dining. They ended up booking all the 6 PM and 8:30 PM slots in the PC restaurants which took the choice away from a lot of the others.

I am not a fan of PC dining. I like having the same wait staff who quickly learn what I prefer each evening. I really don't like how PC dining causes the early shows to be so full that they are very difficult to get into.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM
DHCowgirl

Default Re: Re: Waitlisted for Traditional Dining

I totally agree with you about the dining. I am absolutely NOT a fan of the PC dining either. I enjoy getting to know people at our table (we always request a table for 8 or 10) and also having the wait staff get to know what we like. We have been on 5 cruises and never been disappointed. I think the whole trend toward PC dining is messing up part of the "cruise experience". And you are so right about the early show being hard to get to - I wondered why it was so difficult on our last 2 cruises, but now I get it.

I hope the cruise lines will stop this trend very soon.

DH
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Admiral

i don't see the "Anytime Dining" option going away. Lots of people love it. However, it also seems that lots of people still love traditional dining as it always books ups really fast and that results in the waitlists. Maybe Princess should think about changing its dining rooms from 2 Anytime and 1 Traditional (on the Grand Class ships) to 2 Traditional and 1 Anythime. What do you think?
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:36 AM
First Mate

We have been on Princess 20 times plus 1 coming up in November (not soon enough for us!) We love PC! We have had great times with traditional dining but now its nice to have the freedom of dining when we are hungry. We love the ability to get a table for two or join others. We also find, if you like a waitstaff "team", get their names and ask for them the next night. We do that all the time now and the wait is only a bit longer. PC is hear to stay, but I would hope that Princess will continue with traditional dining. During our last cruise, we had the pleasure of dining with the cruise director a few times. We discussed PC and is favored for 7 night cruises 80+% with 10+ cruises around 60%. F.Y.I.
Happy sailing,
Sea Angel
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:18 AM
First Mate

Those numbers don't jive with my experiences of all the people wait listed and complaining. What I think is happeining is that the more seasoned cruisers are taking longer cruises and the newer cruisers don't know the difference and just get put into PC dining. I see no excuse for Princess not to be able to accomodate everyone to what they want even if it takes partitioning off one of the dining rooms to make it partial PC and partial traditional.

What is really ironic in this situation is that the traditional diners are jaded when it comes to the Baked Alaska night but they only do it in the traditional dining rooms. The newer cruisers would like to see it but can't because it's not done in PC.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:28 AM
First Mate

Franknca........Baked Alaska...big deal. I hope thats not the highlight of your cruise. To have the choice of when to dine is more that worth "loss" of the parade of baked alaska.
sea angel
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
First Mate

No the Baked Alaska parade is not a highlight for me - if you understood my original comment. It is only done in the traditional dining room where most of those diners could care less. Those less traveled would probably get a kick out of it but not knowing the ropes, they get shunted to the PC dining rooms.

As you can tell, the choice I want to dine is only early traditional seating. When at home, we may not always eat exactly at the same time each day, but we don't vary across the board. We'd rather eat at a decent time, catch a show and/or gamble and get to sleep early enough if we have an early shore excursion the next day. PC dining only mucks up the cruise for everyone by causing overcrowding at the early shows.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:06 PM
First Mate

Franknca,
It sounds like you'd be better off on Holland America. Wonderful cruise line, with traditional dining and early to bed, early to rise folks. Sorry, got a little sassy on the last post.
Happy sailing,
Sea Angel
Old April 10th, 2004, 05:04 PM
First Mate

Actually, I prefer Celebrity for this but they just don't sail in many of the places I'd like to go. I chose the Celebrity Constellation over Princess' offering for our Eastern European cruise next month because it is longer (14 days) and they seem to do most things a tad classier than Princess. One drawback, they don't have self service laundries on board.

Most of my cruises have been on Princess and we'll be on the Island in December for a holiday cruise from LA to Hawaii and back.
Frank