Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Class differences...

I am curious to see, if any other Princess cruisers feel the same way I do about the Grand Class vs the Sun Class..I have sailed the Grand and the Golden, and our group felt that the ship had a very choppy layout..I think due, to try to make smaller, more personal areas....I just thought the Sun class flowed much easier , and i got lost less What to you think?...................Trip
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Class differences...

Trip:
I didn't like the Grand class, especially because of the location of the Amalfi restaurant. We are traditional diners and that's where we were relegated. It is difficult to get to, no restroom facilities and tremendous vibrations when leaving port.

We preferred the Sun class ships and like the Coral class even more. I understand that the new Diamond and Sapphire Princesses have improved some of the blunders with the Grand class design.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Frank..I would love to try the new class...one good thing too... on the new class is they lost the shiopping cart handle.Trip
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:55 PM
SarahJ

I love the Grand class ship. Didn't find it choppy at all.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Admiral

I don't know if i would call it "choppy" but i do know what you mean. It took some getting used to to figure out which "wing" shall we say you had to go to to get to certain places. Once we got it, it was easy. The only thing that we didn't like about the Golden was her ride. We sailed 2/14/04 and we had a very choppy, rolly, rocky ride. Since she is so big, so high and so broad nosed, she doesn't cut through the water very well. We would go back to the Sun class ships in a heartbeat - loved the Sea Princess- the layouts are very similar just on a smaller scale. BTW was happy to read that my Sea Princess is coming back from P & O but was saddend to read that my beloved Royal Princess is going over to P & O to sail the British market. (boo hoo)
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Kuki and I sailed the Grand in her Innaugural year...When we left St Martrin, it sounded like the gears were grinding, This was extremely noisy, and the ship was shaking quite badly, in fact it was so bad, the paneled wall fell off in Kuki's stateroom...,,Trip
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:56 PM
SharB

Wow! We thought the Star was awesome. I didn't even recall having a problem getting to the traditional dining room (old age memory issue?). We're really looking forward to the Diamond and also sailed on the Dawn.

To answer your question, I have to admit that the Dawn is my favorite, but that's because we had an aft mini. Whata room!!!

Shar
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:40 AM
First Mate

We love the Grand Class ships and don't find it a bit choppy. Can't wait to sail on the Caribbean in November. Our favorite ship was the Crown. She was fantastic! Put us on any Princess shipand were happy.
Happy sailing,
Sea Angel
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Familiar Face

You are correct

The Grand Class ships have a very peculiar layout - it seems that you cannot get there from here wherever you are going and from wherever you are at - The Sun class ships have a more user friendly layout - as does the regal and the crown. However I still think you cannot beat Princess for overall cruiseing enjoyment!!
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Passenger

We have loved the Sea and Dawn. In fact we have sailed on the Dawn four times. Our last trip on the Dawn in February was a little disappointing. We going into port and leaving port, we experienced lots of vibrations and noise, It sounded like gears grinding and it was quite loud. In fact it would wake us up.
The vibration was so severe that it would have moved items off of shelves if there had not been shelf guards.
We decided to try a new ship next sailing.
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:05 AM
SarahJ

The worst vibrations I have ever experienced was on the Millennium class. All of our glasses broke on our table, plates fell off of our table --it was a mess. I won't sail that class of ship again.