Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default What's the difference

This may sound like a weird question...but I'm planning our cruise this Aug. to the W. Carr...I was looking at Carnival but then this agent called me and started mentioning Princess...Has anyone been on both Carnival and Princess and can you tell me what's the difference and which did you like the most and why? Thanks for any info

Doreen
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:38 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What's the difference

My only Carn-evil cruise indicated that they target a segment of society that I don't care to socialize with. They seemed to think that to have fun one had to have a drink in one hand, a cigarette in the other and try and see who could out obnoxious the other. If you like those silly hairy chest games and such, it might be for you.

If you want something more moderate, try Princess. They have all kinds of on board activities but they don't cater to the spring break like crowd as Carn-evil seems to do. Carn-evil seems to price their cruises low and then tries to make it up by selling booze. JMNSHO.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:45 PM
Captain

I have been on both Carnival and Princess. It is true that during spring break or on the short Carnival cruises it can be more of a party crowd. The 7 day cruises and longer that are not during spring break are more family oriented. I do believe Carnival does also focus more on the pool games and such and yes that does include hairy chest contests. Carnival does seem to be activity driven. It is all done in fun. Carnival also has a lot more flash and bright decor.

Princess is a more relaxed atmosphere and does not focus as much on the party type games. Princess does have bingo and trivia and such things but they are not high activity driven. Princess also does limit the number of kids to some extent so you will never find as many kids on a Princess cruise. Princess decor is much more suttle.

I had a great time on both Carnival and Princess and would do either again. I personally prefer Princess a little better but I am just more comfortable on Princess because I am not a person who is activity oriented. I go on a cruise to relax.

Service was great on both lines, the food was very good on both lines IMHO. I also met some great people on both lines.
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen

Well I'll be going in August...seeings how this is our first cruise...I think the experience of learning how to cruise etc. is my first thought...I'm not familiar with any other ships other than Royal Carr. We will be another couple and we want to have fun...we still consider ourselves young...this gets very confusing and nerve racking doesn't it. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Yeoman

We first cruised on Carnival - not during Spring Break. We fell in love with cruising but not with Carnival. There did seem to be more of a party atmosphere, especially among the young couples. There was a lot of loud laughter etc., and of course the hairy chest contest type of activities.

Then we cruised on Princess and fell in love with Princess. The atmosphere was just quieter and more refined. The crew and passengers seemed friendlier.

Both give good service and an enjoyable cruise. You just need to decide which atmosphere you would enjoy most.

Carnival Inspiration
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:55 PM
First Mate

I have been on Carnival 1time and Princess 20 times. Carnival's clientel isn't really my cup of tea. The food was good, the service was pretty good but the decor is HORRIBLE. Unless you like neon..........lots and lots of neon.
Princess, on the other hand has a casual elegance about it. The food, service and decor is fantastic. The clientel seems to be more travel savy with higher education.
I hope this was helpful.
Happy sailing,
Sea Angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:29 PM
True Brit

Difference!!!! No comparison. Unless you are in your twenties and want to be surrounded by a bunch of noisy fun seekers then don't give Carnival a second thought. Like the Carn-evil description Frank. Stories I have heard about Carnival I would not want to go near them. Check out the Berlitz guide to cruising and see what they regard as the major differences. And if you want to compare Royal Caribbean then Princess leave them standing in service and food quality.
Cheers. Paul
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Admiral

for my personal tastes, Princess is just a bit more refined, a bit more elegant, yet still casual enough, as are the majority of the passengers.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: What's the difference

Just returned from our first Princess cruise. We were on the Golden Princess. We absolutely loved it and will sail her again. We also love Carnival. I think we had a little more "fun" on Carnival. I don't agree with previous posters about how different they are. I think it all depends on when you cruise and the particular ship you are on. My husband and I would never cruise during spring break on any cruise line. Last April, we sailed the Carnival Pride. We've also sailed on the Imagination and Paradise. It was not much different than our Golden Princess cruise. I agree, the Golden Princess was a little more refined and quieter, but not by much. I don't know why so many people bash Carnival.

Denise
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: What's the difference

Denise, I'm going on the Golden 5/23. What deck were you on? Any advice?

Thanks,
Vicki

Targeting Jun 2009
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the difference

Hi Vicki,
I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as my husband and I did. We were on the caribe deck, a standard balcony cabin all the way aft (cabin c752).
This was our first Princess cruise and we absolutely loved it. We did anytime dining. We always asked for a table for 2. We never made reservations and never waited too long. We thought the food was very good. We ate at Sabatinis and Desert Rose. We both liked Desert Rose's food better. I know that it will be changing to Sterlings Steakhouse for future sailings. Sabatinis main course was excellent (had the lobster), just not a fan of all the marinated vegetables and shellfish we had as appetizers.

We did have a couple of rough nights on our cruise. We talked to several people that got seasick. My dh and I took Bonine to be on the safe side. We never got ill.

What cabin are you in? I'd love to hear about your cruise when you get back since it will be doing the southern route out of San Juan.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
Denise
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Dennis Fermano

Having sailed on both cruie lines the thing we like more about Princess was that we chose open seating for dinner, and always had a table for two. Plus Princess had a little more class. Carnival a little more energy.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks for answering me Denise. I will be in B733 (Baja), so pretty much in the same area as you. What was your impression of the balcony cabin? Was it worth the extra$? I understand that our balcony will be completely covered, which is fine with me since I have very fair skin. Did you have much outside noise or from upper/lower levels?

I'm a bit uneasy about the rough seas. I haven't gotten seasick on my previous cruise, although I was well prepared. I had a bit of trouble at night when I was trying to go to sleep. It seems I could feel the roll much more than I had during the day, and for a light sleeper, that can be a souce of sleep interuption. It was hard to dose off but I never took anything. I didn't get sick though. I plan on being just as prepared this cruise.

I didn't notice if you mentioned which cruise you took. Was it the Southern Caribbean? Were there storms that made the water rough? Did you have a hard time finding a deck chair around the pools? Did you take any good excursions?

Sorry for all the questions...aren't you sorry you opened yourself up to this kind of torture?

Thanks for your help, and I will be sure to come back to let you know how my cruise went. I'll have to let you know what was done to the Golden during dry dock.

Thanks,
Vicki

Targeting Jun 2009
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Vicki, you will love having a balcony cabin. We were on the Golden 21/4/04. She is a great ship. Any particular questions i can help you with? LisaK
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Hi Vicki,
My husband and I just loved the balcony. We never experienced any excessive noise when were on it. When the seas were rough during the first couple of days, we did experience quite a bit of motion in our cabin. It really wasn't a problem for us. I don't know if it's because we took Bonine or not. I really don't know why the seas were so rough. We didn't experience any storms.

On some days, getting a lounge chair in the sun was a little difficult unless you got there before 9:00.

We did the last Eastern itinerary before the Golden went into drydock so don't know anything about the Southern itinerary. Some day I'd like to try it.

Have a great time!

Denise
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:03 AM
mkend

We just got off Carnival Glory last week. The seas were very rough- five in our group were sick for two days. Don't take any chances, I'd take 1/2 bonine before the trip. Carnival Glory was great, the price was wonderful, the ship was beautiful and our cabin was spacious. We are trying the Star Princess in March, so I hope it's as nice. Carnival was not a party ship, it was very classy but alot of fun activities. Great shows and good food, no long lines, and good service.Either one will probably be wonderful! Good Luck. Try not to listen to anti-Carnival people, try it yourself.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Vicki, I also am a very light sleeper and prone to sea sickness, so 1 bonine a day has kept me feeling fine. My doctors advice was to take a bonine the night before the cruise and than one aday, works great! As for not being able to stay asleep or get to sleep, Dr also told me Tylenol PM, or Sleep Ease. This also works great for me, and if noises bother your sleep, ear plugs. I always get the best sleep on board. Enjoy your cruise and don't fret about rough seas, the bonine is the answer.

Jeanne

Old May 10th, 2004, 11:22 AM
D and M

Hi Vickie

Well we just got back last night from the Golden Princess, sailed May 2nd for the southern carribean also. We also had a room on Baja... Thats a good choice, for many reasons.
-1st, the pools and buffet are only 2 floors up. Which is great for not having to wait for the elevator
-2nd we found out we were one of the 1st to leave the ship. They started at the 12 floor, and you are next on the 11th. They then worked down.... It is VERY important to get to San Juan EARLY. Take a cab if you can. We waited almost 2 hours waiting in line. Others behind us waited over 3 before they could get a chance to sit. It was awful. (we flew with US Air). They are remodeling San Juan Airport and it is brutal.
-3rd Baja is a very quiet floor. Only cabins on it, so little thru traffic.

As far as Islands
Barbados, was nothing fantastic at all. I heard nothing good from anyone about that island. Best Island was St Marteen..... beach is right there and so is shopping if you want it. VERY VERY nice. St. Lucia.... very pretty, do an Island tour and see the sights.... especially the waterfall ! Antigua great for anything you want to do with the beach. St. Thomas was great for shopping AND the beach also, but the locals are much more pushy then St Marteen.

They fixed the stabalizers the week b4 in dry dock, so it was much better then on previous trips I was told by the crew. Even though the sea was pretty rough at times you hardly felt it. But my wife also had problems sleeping, but the patch seemed to work for most everyone.

Lastly, everyone LOVED the outside balconeys. Though I did hear a couple complain about people above throwing food/trash, but security took care of it immediately. The sights coming into, and out of port are breathtaking. We so loved our cruise. It was our 1st on Princess, and won't be our last. Our other 2 cruises were on RC and not half as nice. Though in honesty they were both smaller ships. Relax and enjoy... Any questiond feel free to ask

D and M
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: What's the difference

D and M, Thanks so very much for the feedbac. I was in hopes that someone would come back with info. So glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise! I'm also so glad to know that our deck (Baja) is quiet!

Do you remember about what time you got off the ship? We have an early flight on American Airlines, 10:38am. We plan on grabbing a taxi. I hope we make it in time.

How was the food? Any recommendations?

Were there many 'rough' days on the water?

Were the balconies a good size? Enough for 4 to sit?

We are in B733 and B735, which is Aft. Were you more mid ship?

Did you use the Internet Cafe the night before getting into port to check in online for your flight home?

Thanks for answering all my many questions.

Vicki

Targeting Jun 2009
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:32 PM
D and M

Hi Vicki

We didn't get off till about 8:45am. But if you tell the pursor ahead of time you should be able to get out 1st. I think they started around 8. But it all depends on how fast they get docked and then cleared by customs. The cab is the best idea, but also do your homework and get your customs form done the night b4. Also have your passport and all other documents ready too. It really makes a diff. You'll see that by the fools who aren't ready and slow everything else down. Another tip stay in the middle of the custom
check line when you get off. They slip wheelchairs and the handicapped in on the sides, and you'll get stuck waiting like we did. (they just cut them in front of you.)

Food was great, We took anytime seating and we loved it. Buffet is fantastic for breakfast and lunch. And we ate 4 or 5 dinners at Bernini. We liked to eat early, by 6pm, so that worked great for us. No waiting at all then. If you like to eat 7-8, you'll wait maybe 10-15 min. thats all . Pizza bar and grill were really good too, really quick if your in a hurry. Also ice cream is served daily 3:30 - 4. So no need to pay for it either.

Rough days? No, just nights, lol. Days you are docked..lol.. We had no problem, but seen alot of people wearing patches though. I heard no complaints. But my wife did take tylonol PM which helped her sleep. That seemed like a good idea.

Balconies are a nice size. They have a table with 4 chairs already out there. Plenty of room for a cple more too.

Yea we were more in the middle. B321... Yours is great, just up 2 stairs too the buffet. and Aft Pool, which is the quietest, and has nicest view at night. Skip the elevator, not take the stairs whenever possible. Its so convenient, and with as much as we ate, we needed the excersize. They also have a GREAT spa and workout center. All new equipment, and you can use the treadmill and look out over the water. Great insperation.

We didn't use the internet cafe. Honestly we never thought of that. Its a great idea.

And no problem answering you quest. ASK away..lol.. I didn't find this site till 3 days b4 we left. I could have used it. If you want just email anyother quest. to our regular email. Its too hard finding the right thread to answer...lol..

Take care
D+M
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Passenger

D+M, Thanks for all the great info! I have printed your reply to take with me to remind me of all your tips.

Did you keep the balcony door open most of the time? If so, was is hot or did you get a good breeze?

I have a small travel fan I plan to take with me. Do you think I will need it or was the air conditioning sufficient?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!!

Vicki

Targeting Jun 2009
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Whiteknight

I enjoyed both of those cruiselines as well as the other cruiselines on which I've been. I would have to agree with the majority that Carnival is more activity friendly, whereas Princess has a more reserved atmosphere. Food and entertainment are on par with each other on both lines. Carnival has a little larger cabins, but I really didn't see any other significant differences. I saw just as much drinking and smoking on every cruiseline I've been on and I drink also. In all fairness, you need to keep in mind that you're on the Princess forum and that being the case, you're going to hear more pro-Princess than vice-versa. The opposite would be true on the Carnival forum. My suggestion to you would be to try both of them and decide for yourself. I did and I found that I liked them both. I don't involve myself with brand loyalty as many people do. I involve myself with cruise loyalty. You put me on a cruise ship, any cruise ship, and I'm going to enjoy myself. The only distinction I would make is, don't compare older ships with newer ships no matter what name is on the side. That is where the real difference is, in my opinion.
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM
D and M

Hi Vicki

No problem, we love helping .

Air conditioning is very good, no need for a fan. Skip leaving the door open, too humid !! The breeze is nice while your out there, but if you leave it open, you'll cook during the night. (our opinion). Plus everytime morning when you dock, you'll get woken up by the noise from docking..

Good Luck
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Thanks D+M, I'm glad to hear that the airconditioning is good. Can't stand to be hot!

So was there a good breeze when you were on the balcony, or did you roast out there?

Thanks again, Vicki

Targeting Jun 2009
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We kept our door closed at night.My husband likes a very cool room when he sleeps and I agree that the humidity factor would take over if left open.There is a nice breeze in the afternoon,especially on the shady side,but the doors aren't open for long.I'm usually the one who sat out on the balcony to read,do crossword puzzles,etc but was happy for the cooler air inside when done! Be sure that you have an extra blanket in your room in case it gets too chilly.We were on a Holland America ship last year-never again-and I froze at night.That probably was an AC problem and not standard for all rooms--I hope! Princess Ships have been very comfortable,so I don't think you should worry. I'm the one who usually wears a sweater everywhere () so what's cold for me,would probably be fine for you! Lynne
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info Lynne! So, do you think I should still carry my travel fan? It sounds like I may not need it. Like your husband, I like the room very cool at night. Vicki

Targeting Jun 2009
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Personally, I, me, moi, wouldn't take it.It's another thing to tote. However, if you feel the need to have the air blowing in your face and that makes you comfortable,then take it along.After awhile I get cold from the direct air blowing at me. At night, under the warm covers,after a warm shower, it might feel good! even in the cool room!! . Lynne