Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Bailey

Default 1st cruise questions

Hi all,

I just have a few quick questions. If our paperwork says that boarding starts at noon what time do you think we should get there? I was also wondering, we are not usually fancy diners, we love places like olive garden and red lobster. Are we going to feel out of place in the main dining room? My last question is, they asked if we are celebrating anything specail (our aniversary) what will they do for us?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Captain

Default Re: 1st cruise questions

No, I don't think you will feel out of place in the dining room - unless, of course, you have an aversion to eating with strangers. However, they will only be strangers for the first 5 minutes or so. We've been on 14 cruises, and only once did we have the "tablemates from H***". We were moved to another table the same night.

We celebrated our 39th anniversary on Princess, and they decorated our door with streamers and baloons.

As far as boarding is concerned......if you arrive at 11:00, you should be able to board fairly soon, although your cabin may not be ready yet.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Old April 25th, 2004, 10:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: 1st cruise questions

Pootersdad: May I ask when you are sailing to Hawaii, we are thinking about cruising in 05. I know its 284 days but never was too good at math. We like the idea of being at sea instead of flying over, I guess both ways have pros and cons. Thanks for your reply.
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Captain

We sail February 3, 2005 on the Island Princess from Los Angeles. Four days at sea, five days cruising the islands, four days at sea, a stop in Ensenada, Mexico.

Old April 26th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Bailey - you will not feel out of place in the main dining rooms, the atsmosphere on casual nights is resort casual, nothing fancy, just casual nice and relaxed. The staff is there to make you feel comfortable and to make your dining a pleasurable experience. They class it up for formal nights. The waiters will have on their dress uniforms, the food is extra special, and everyone is in a special mood.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

If it says boarding begins at 12:00 then show up around 12:15 . The initial crowd should be dealt with by then and you won't have a wait. That is exactly what we did in March for our Grand Princess cruise.

To my way of thinking, it just isn't polite to show up before the stated boarding time. It is like going to a store and demanding to be let in before they officially open.
Old June 8th, 2004, 01:47 AM
chris&jeff

Thanks for the information about arriving a little after the stated boarding time; however, what about the tips to make reservations as soon as possible after boarding for the alternative restaurants and salon services? Does it seem to be the usual practice for 2,000 of the 2,600 passengers be waiting at the door to get in at noon?

Old June 8th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was told by a travel agent to show up somewhere in the middle of your boarding time .. for example our boarding time is between 1 and 4 .. we plan on showing up around 2:30. I have done that on other cruises and had a max of 10 minutes to wait. Just make sure you have all of your paperwork.
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:21 PM
birthday girl

If you want to sign up for special services, I would show up before boarding time, so you and your paper work can be processed. There will be tables and chairs available to sit and read or play cards, etc until actual boarding begins. This is how we do it for our cruises and have always gotten right on once boarding began. Even though they don't let you board the ship until the specified time, the agents are waiting and happy to process your forms and luggage before hand. There usually isn't an enormous amount of people waiting to board at this time, because most people's flights have them getting in later. Enjoy your cruise!