Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:27 AM
fig414

Default Insurance

I'd like to tell my sad story that I have on another board.
Sorry to say we have had to cancel our cruise. My wife got 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her foot in an accident at work. She is a chef and was burned pretty bad. She may have to have skin graft surgery this week and her doctor told us to cancel. Thank God for insurance as we got all our money back. She is more upset about missing our 2 week vacation than the foot which will probably be fine according to the plastic surgeon.
Since finding this site in January, I have seen a few questions about insurance and I read them all. This will be our 4th cruise and we always opted for insurance. It's kind of funny because we always thought it was because something might happen to someone in our family because we are in our mid forties and you never know what might happen to our parents and such. It wouldn't be to us of course. The $99.00 PP seems a little much but we just include it in the cost and don't think about it.
It's truly amazing that my wife is more upset about our vacation than her foot which as I said will probably be OK. We haven't been on a cruise, for various reasons, in almost 4 years. The build up was great. Here I go, sorry.....
Nope I'm not going to do it. My views will have to wait, this will be to all who ask about the insurance factor. GET IT.
We are looking at Sept. to reschedule as we don't believe in cuising during summer months.
I can't believe I have to keep reading this great site for 5 more months. I thought I was finished with you in 3 weeks.
Keep up the good work and I'm sorry for bloviating.

Fig
Caribbean Princess 5/15
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Insurance

So sorry to hear about your wife and her burns. That really hurts. I can sympathize with her and you about having to cancel the cruise, but its good that you got the insurance!! We also opted for insurance this time. My sister in law always gets it (elderly parents) but you never think something could happen to you. Just think all of us will be back from our cruises and you have yours to look forward to, always a bright side. Happy planning your cruise. Get well soon to your wife :-)
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Roy W

Sorry to hear about your accident and having to cancel. What insurance did you have, did you add it on when you booked and also who did you book thru. Am trying to get booked for May of '05 for Alaska Cruise and any info would really be helpful. Thanks Roy
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:21 PM
fig414

Roy
We got the Princess insurance when we booked....
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:22 PM
True Brit

Firstly let me add my sentiments regarding your wife's burns. Secondly please what is "bloviating"?
Seriously though I am amazed that the subject of insurance occurs; in the U.K. it is just about compulsary to either have your own or take up the operators. We have annual multi-trip insurance which covers my wife and I for any number of trips per year up to a maximum of 31 days per trip and includes the States ( need that because third party liability costs not to mention health costs are pretty high over there) This cover costs the grand sum of $160 dollars per year at current exchange rates which I reckon is money well spent.
Regards. Paul
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:52 PM
JCL

Default Re: Re: Insurance

Never leave home without it.............I don't go through the cruise line, but my agent has a great source. JCL
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Passenger

I join the others in extending my sincere sorrow for your wife's burn accident (Ouch!) and the cancelation of your much anticipated cruise.
My husband and I have vasselated (sp!) since we booked our cruise in January.
I've even written to this board with questions.
Because you were kind enough to take the time to tell us your opinion and terrible story, I have finally decided once and for all that we will indeed purchase the "expensive" insurance for our trip! I sincerely Thank you.
Just curious, as our cruise on the Carribean Princess is in July, why do you avoid sailing in the summer months? Hurricane possibility?
Well, your sad course of events now puts us on the ship before you. I will remember to say a prayer for you and your wife while I'm aboard that your eventual cruise will be more than worth the delay.
I wish your wife a speedy and complete recovery.
Manny
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info about the insurance. I have been tossing that back and forth but you have talked me into it. Mine is $89 each. Best of luck to your wife and if you book Carribean Princess for Sept 18, I will see you there. 144 days to go.
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
RitaL

I have found an insurance company which has a pretty high rating for the total trip coverage including the cruise itself, airfare etc for only $61. cheaper than the one Princess sells and on top of it, it covers the air as well. i am not a saleswoman for this company. just want to share the info. Article about this company can be found in www.cruisereviews.com.

The insurance company's website is www.travelinsured.com

RitaL
Caribbean Princess 10/16/04
Celebrity Century 10/23/04
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:46 AM
Lynne &Trevor

After reading all your input about insurance, Trevor agrees that it's probably dangerous not to pay it, and once the Cruise Line has your money, there's no recourse if something should come up at the last minute.
We will be aboard the Sept. 18 Caribbean Princess as well, and hope that you will decide to sail with us, and Carol, if there are some cabins left.I'm sure that there will be additional cruisers to welcome you aboard,too .
Good luck with the injury/healing. Working around a kitchen or in one isn't easy. Many hazards. Just think, some good can come out of the delay, as you will be able to read all the questions and adventures leading up to your cruise, share their countdowns, and get excited about yours all over again.
Take care. Lynne
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Insurance

Rita:
I just posted about my good experience with Travel Insured. I forgot to mention that they cover the entire trip, baggage, medical, etc, not just the sleeves in your vest cruise only version that the cruise lines often offer. Insurance is another profit center for the cruise lines and it is usually an easy sell for TA's which is a shame as they should be directing people to the best values.
Frank-in-CA
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info about travel insured, I am sure to check them out before purchasing.
Carol
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:11 PM
nik nik

It is amazing folks are paying so little for insurance. We are charged $250.00 per person in Philaelphia to purchase insurance through the Princess line for a cruise to Europe!